“Valet is a joke!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 81 hotels in Richmond
Ringgold, Georgia
“Valet is a joke!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

I had a great stay here if I wasn't dealing with the valet. My room was nice, spacious and clean. Bathroom small, but the niceness and cleanliness of the room made up for it. Laura was our waitress in the bar and she was totally awesome, the other girl bartender never even looked our way! Herb drove the shuttle and gave out his cards but never answered or returned calls. Chris was super friendly but we ended up stranded about 3 miles from our hotel because he was busy. He said he would call us when he was on his way and never heard from him. His friendliness made up for that, we got a taxi but I don't appreciate Kendall the front desk clerk laughing at me when I called her and asked for a shuttle ride one night, she laughed like it was funny that the shuttle driver was busy and I was going to be stranded, not cute! Dan was super helpful at checkout with my incorrect bill. Breakfast was horrid!!! I have never tasted something so bad in my life, so of course that left us having to go out for every meal. At checkout we called for our car 15 minutes ahead of time because it usually took that long, we stood there looking around for our car, about 10 minutes later, I looked around again and there's my car sitting on the road, locked, nobody knew where my keys were so there's another 10 minute wait! Nice hotel, nice rooms, nice staff, get new valet!

• Stayed September 2012
ConcordHospitality, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
bailey h,

Thank you for your review. We’re glad to have had you stay with us at Doubletree Hotel. I’m pleased you liked our clean and comfortable rooms and found our staff to be friendly and helpful. I have read your comments thoroughly and will take action to make sure our hotel provides the highest quality of service to our guests in all departments. Thank you for your business. We hope you will come and visit with us again.

Scott Dial, General Manager

455 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

When staying in chain hotels, I generally try to choose a Hilton property. On this occasion, a wedding took me to Richmond, VA and I opted to stay downtown at the Doubletree Hotel. It lacks what I would call great curb appeal, but found the staff welcoming and the lobby attractive.

After a quick check-in, we arrived at our room on the 12th floor. I'm not sure of the history of this property, but it has the feel of needing an update. The carpeting was worn and stained in a couple of spots, furniture scuffed and bathroom not quite as clean as I would like.

What I found most unusual is that while our beds were made after the first night, no trash was emptied, towels replaced or room otherwise cleaned, though they did replaced the coffee items.

We opted for lunch in the restaurant and found it to be pretty standard hotel fare, nothing notable but not awful. Again, the staff was friendly and hospitable.

Overall, I would stay at this hotel again, but with the knowledge that it won't be up to the usual Hilton standards I've come to enjoy.

Room Tip: Choose an upper floor. There seems to be a constant roar of firetrucks in the neighborhood.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
AtlantaPhotog,

Thank you for writing a review and letting us know of your pleasant stay with us at Doubletree. We’re glad you chose to stay with us while attending a wedding in Richmond. I’m glad you liked our hotel and found our staff to be friendly and helpful. We truly appreciate your business and hope you will choose us again the next time you’re visiting the downtown Richmond area.

Scott Dial, General Manager
Cruz Bay, St. John
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

The staff was friendly and made sure your needs were met! The valet parking and shuttle services made vacation that much easier! It is a clean and nice place to stay! Would definitely stay there again and send others too!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
ConcordHospitality, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Dear Clark00831,
I am pleased you enjoyed you stay in Richmond, VA. Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding the hotel. We appreciate your business and look forward to you staying with us again.
Centreville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

We booked this hotel for our family reunion and generally found it to be very good, all things considered. The location was good for our outside events, the rooms were adequate, but not top quality. We were on the 14th floor and others in our family were on other floors below us. The cooked breakfast was very good and there was plenty for all to eat. The hotel provided a room for our family to have a private breakfast at no additional cost. The overnight parking fee was too high... $18/night. We spent time during the evenings sitting around the pool on the roof are talking. The hotel bar area seemed to be very active and there were a lot of people sitting around in the lobby enjoying the nice sized seating area. The beds were comfortable and the linens were clean. The bathroom was small and dated, but nicely kept. We will probably book the same hotel for next year.

Room Tip: Ask to have a room as high up as possible.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear KNSW,
Thank you for writing a wonderful review on TripAdvisor! Your comments regarding the hotels location, bar, pool and your private breakfast for you family is greatly appreciated. Thank you for choosing the Doubletree by Hilton Richmond for your family reunion, we appreciate your business.
Roanoke, Virginia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

We are members of the Hilton Honors Rewards Club and we had never chosen a Double Tree to stay in before, so we thought we would give it a try.

I had called ahead to the front desk and told the gentleman that we prefer a high floor away from elevators. He was very nice and told me that he would put us on the 12th or 14th floor away from the elevators. When we checked-in I confirmed this with the lady at the front desk. She said he had not done either and actually he did the opposite of what I had asked for him to do. She did put us on the 9th floor away from elevators and was very nice to deal to us.

The elevators are small and need some upgrades. Upon arriving at the room we noticed a not so nice odor from the air conditioning unit, but got use to the smell the longer we were in the room. The room was clean and spacious with comfortable chairs. However, the bathroom was in need of some repair. The tank behind the toilet had a lid covering it that obviously, did not belong to that tank. You could see halfway down in the tank of the toilet. The control for the hot/cold water and shower in the tub made a loud vibrating noise that was terrible! It finally calmed down, but it scared us to death when it first happened.

I think if some things were upgraded in this hotel it would help it so much. Once we stepped into the elevator we just had a bad feeling. The staff was very nice and the cookies were a nice touch.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Dear LAH336,
Thank you for writing a review on TripAdvisor regarding your trip to Richmond. I appreciate your candid feedback about the hotel as well as your nice comments regarding the hotel associates. Your business is important to us. I will be sure to address your concerns right away with our management team. We hope to see you again soon.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

I am a huge Doubletree fan. This one, however, doesn't live up to my expectations. The carpet of my room was stained, there was mildew in the shower, and there was hair ALL over the room. By all over, I mean more than a strand in the sick (which there was) and a few in the shower (which there were). They were everywhere - there was even a long, dark hair inside one of the disposable coffee cups. Ew. They need to do a much better cleaning job.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear Bean8213,
Thank you for visiting the Doubletree Richmond hotel during your trip to Virginia, I am sorry the cleanliness of your room was below par. I will be speaking to my staff regarding your experience, in order to make corrective actions. Please be assured that your concerns will not go unnoticed. As a valued guest, your business is important to us and we look forward to seeing you again.

Sacramento
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed at the Double Tree in downtown Richmond to tour the historical sites while in Virginia. The public areas of the hotel are as to be expected, clean, well maintained and with the contemporary look of a double tree property.

The staff was very friendly and efficient and had me in my room in no time at all. The room was large, on a cornor of the hotel so I beleive they considered it a "Superior Room" on the 15th floor, it still only had one window so it was somewhat dark, but it was comfortable nonetheless. The bathroom was updated with granite countertops and clean.

The hotel is a little ways from downtown, for being called a downtown hotel it is more at the edge of downtown. It depends where your business is whether or not this would be convenient for you.

Although I always felt safe in the property, the area around the hotel appears to be a little on the sketchy side, so you are probably going to drive most places rather than walk. To tour the city and downtown area I would probably choose another hotel next time, however it has nothing to do with the hotel itself, only the location.

Room Tip: Food as always is the case in these upbrand hotels is not inexpensive, but it is good and reliable.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Dear Eddienca,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay. I do appreciate your gracious comments about the staff, the cleanliness, and the safety of the hotel. It was our pleasure to serve you as our guest; we look forward to seeing you again next time you are traveling back to Richmond.

Scott Dial

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown? Share your experiences!