“Caught a nasty rash from their dirty blankets” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #41 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
New York
“Caught a nasty rash from their dirty blankets”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2007

I stayed in the Comfort Inn Conference Midtown Hotel in Richmond VA on July 29 - August 1. After spending the first evening there I woke up with what first appeared to be an insect bit. Following the next morning the bit got bigger and began to spread over the course of 3-4 days. I stilled dismissed it as some sort of allergic reaction. Once I arrived home the following day I scatched my back then immeditely rubbed the bottom of my eye with the same finger and hand. That day after a full day of shopping with my son. I went into the bathroom just to notice the same exact spot where I scatched my eye earlier that day swelled up. That's when I freaked out and knew what was on my back was more than just some sort of allergic reaction. I made an appointment that following day with a dermotologist about the problem then contacted the hotel about what happened to me. After seeing a doctor they gave me a cream for the rash to stop the itching. It took almost 3 weeks for the rash to leave. And it flaked during the healing process. I know for a fact they did not change those blanets from the previous person or persons who occupied that room. My son and I stayed in that room and I am thankful to God that he did not sleep in the same bed with me. It freaks me out when I think of what might have been on those blankets. Any type of body fluid could have been left on those sheets. And what makes it worst, Comfort Inn took my incident like it meant nothing. They considered me as a liar before they considered me to be telling the truth. They were very cold in the way they handled it, now I am handling it my way. My backed is scared now and you can still see where the rash was. I do not recommend that you stay in this hotel not only because they are unsanitary but also uncourtest to important issues like mines. I would say more but I can't.

• Liked — The staff was nice and the free breakfast was very good
  • Disliked — The Hotel is unsanitary I caught a rash from dirty blankets
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2007

Although they are remodeling this hotel, it's still always going to be an old hotel in a bad area. I had no shampoo in my room, no clothes bag. I didn't see any outside security or camera so I was concerned about my car (due to the area). Breakfast hostess was rude and lazy.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2007

This hotel is old and not too clean. Our room was located alongside the street and it was quite noisy. The mattresses sag to the middle of the bed, so I'm wondering just how old they must be. I would never stay here again. Keep looking!

• Liked — Close to downtown
  • Disliked — Old hotel and it shows!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2007

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. I asked for a smoke-free room, which is what the desk perons stated that it was. The room was musty and smoky smelling. In addition there were roaches crawling in the bathroom. The next morning there was one crawling on the bed sheets. I am calling this one the roach motel-Literally !

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2005

I was going to the Richmond area on business and wanted to be near the track. Well, that it was. It was literally no more than 5 - 10 minutes away w/out traffic. That was nice. They even had directions waiting for you at the counter. The elevators were a little old and freaky, but they worked. Rooms were average, nothing special. They were clean but the toilet was being fickle. Area around the hotel was a little sketchy, but I've seen worse. Bed was suprisingly very comfortable.

They gave you cards for free continental breakfast each morning. The food was REALLY good. They kept the food stocked and you rarely had to wait for something to come out.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2005

The hotel was just above terrible. The best thing it had going for it was the price. It took three tries for them to get my room right. The first room, I was booked into a king bed/business room on the 5th floor. However, I couldn't get the internet to work. The front desk said that it wasn't installed on that floor yet, but it was the only floor with king beds. Why don't the business rooms have internet yet? I was moved to a room with two full beds on the third floor. The room I was moved to had a broken window. When I went to complain about it, they said that someone would be right up to fix it. Yeah, right. I've heard that before. I moved again to another room on the third floor where I ended up staying. I will say that at least the hotel staff was friendly and accomodating for each of my room change requests. I can imagine though that if they were busy, you might very well be stuck in a room that you don't want.

The traffic pattern around the hotel is a little odd also. You get free parking either underneath their garage or on the second floor of the garage near the pool. However, to get to the ramp to the second floor (without going the wrong way), you have to drive down an access road which passes the front of the hotel. Because it passes the front of the hotel, people would park their cars their in order to check in. But, once you're on the access road, there is no easy way out (unless you back up). Believe me, it's just a pain in the butt.

The rooms on the front side of the hotel can be noisy as well (one reason I didn't want a broken window in my room). The main highway through the area had a lot of traffic through the night. Additionally, I was across the hall from the laundry room on my floor. Members of a wedding party at the hotel had decided to take the party to the laundry room at 2 AM or so. Granted, this is unlikely to happen to you, but security was reluctant to respond to my complaints.

Additionally, the hotel is in a rather seedy area of town. I did not feel safe when I was out and about and would rather have stayed somewhere else.

In total, I would recommend this hotel only if you're looking for the cheapest thing you can find near the downtown Richmond area.

• Stayed March 2005, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2004

We stayed at this Comfort Inn last fall while visiting our daughter on two occasions. We found it to be clean, comfortable, quiet. The staff was most accommodating. Parking was easy and free.

Been to Comfort Inn Conference Center Midtown? Share your experiences!