“Very Comfortable Bed and Friendly Staff” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book now and save 25%
Ranked #6 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Baltimore, Maryland
“Very Comfortable Bed and Friendly Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

GOOD:

1. There are 2 dials on each bed...both dials on both beds were set to firm. If you prefer a soft bed, I suggest you set both dials to soft as soon as you arrive...by the time you go to sleep, the bed will be much softer...it felt great and I woke up pain-free.

2. The water pressure in the shower was perfect.

3. The gentleman at the front desk (Art) was very friendly.
(Note to valet parking crew on 1 April: Thank you for being so friendly and helpful when I screwed up and tried to drive down into the garage myself...oops).

4. Love it that in/out privileges were included with the valet parking.

5. Breakfast buffet was very good.

6. Very nice decor in the lobby.

7. Location is great...short drive to everything...Monument Street, Civil War Museum, Convention Center (gift shop).

BAD: I put the 'Do Not Disturb' sign on the outside door handle when we went to bed...in the morning it was gone...have no clue who took it off, or why.

UGLY: The comforter on the bed closest to the door in room 721 had dirt spots/stains on it...needs a good washing.

Room Tip: Room 721 overlooks the hotel entrance.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
We do appreciate your recent stay and feedback. I have thanked Art for his hospitality to you during your visit, and we'll share your detailed comments with the team. Thanks, John

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I was shopping for a hotel in Richmond, VA. I called around and eventually spoke with Tory at the front desk. He made the hotel sound so nice that I ended my search and made a reservation. When I arrived at the hotel with my daughter we were not just welcomed, we were embraced by the front desk staff. Marie, Lyndsey and the entire staff made us feel beyond welcome day after day. We have a new home in Richmond and we look forward to our next visit!!

Room Tip: There are rooms with a quiet view of the interior and historic views of the city.
Dear Reilly Family;

Thank you for your recent stay with us in Richmond, and we do hope to be your new home when traveling. I will be thanking the team; Torrey, Lyndsey and Marie for their efforts during your visit. We look forward to your next stay in RVA.

Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

If i could give this 4.5 stars, I would. Awesome front desk staff that jumped at any reason to help you. Good food from hotel restaurant, nice bar to sit at if you wanted an after-dinner drink. Good location downtown. My only complaints are that there is no self parking, only $21/nt valet (standard for urban hotels, but still annoying), most rooms face into a drab 'courtyard-ish' type space that really make you feel closed-in. Water-saving shower heads make showering nothing to look forward to (I haven't seen one that restrictive since S Cali)...hard to even get the soap off! Gym is nice, but could use some small items to make it much better: Resistance bands, stability ball (or 2), a jump rope. Might check out the Marriott across the street next time just to see where they stand. Overall a pretty nice place, would stay again but would bring a shower head with me, ha.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the exterior of the hotel, not in towards the courtyard...you will be very gla...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for your recent visit and feedback, and 4.5 review ! Thanks for the many positive comments on the hotel and services. You also offered some excellent feedback and comments and we will take notes and make some tweaks. While we are a Virginia Green Certified location, doing many things; Water reduction, composting, recycling, etc... your shower should have rinsed you off better than you state, so we will be looking into that. We look forward to your next visit, yet we may come see you in Oregon !

Thanks,

John - GM
Sebastian, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We were in town for a family wedding and we all stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn. From the time we walked into the lobby til the time we checked out (5 days) the room, all amenities, and especially the staff were the best!!!! Kind, considerate, cheerful, accommodating.......they were the best. The rooms were great. The restaurant was great. Would definitely come back again and would recommend to others.

Dear Maureen;

Thanks so much for the great feedback, and we were glad to provide a great venue for your family wedding. Hope to see you soon.

John Cario
Shenandoah, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We recently stayed here while we attended a basketball tournament at the Richmond Coliseum. The location was perfect and it was nice to be able to park at the hotel and walk everywhere we needed to. The room was very comfortable and staff were very friendly and helpful - an early check in was a breeze and the valet parking staff were friendly and efficient.

One warning - the beds are so comfy and the room so dark when the blinds are closed that you may oversleep! We had had a late night and when we were awakened by the housekeeping staff the next morning - we were sure it must still be dark outside based on our room - and it was after 10:00- haha! Unlike so many hotel - you could really get a great night's sleep here!

Room Tip: We have always been fortunate when relying on the hotel to choose for us!
Dear Possum11;

Glad to hear you had a nice visit, and surely hope your team won in the b-ball Tourney. I hope you enjoyed your "sleep in", and yes with our Garden Sleep System bedding, and some of our interior rooms, this can create a "deep sleep" environment we should further market !!!

Hope to see you back soon.

Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Got in very late the first evening and asked for a wake up call the next morning as my phone was dead (forgot my charger)... I never received the wake up call and was late to a client the next day. In retrospect I could have used the in-room alarm clock, however when you arrive around midnight and are exhausted, sometimes you just need to rely service.

The room was fairly clean, however I found some random hairs around the bathroom sink and tub, the toilet seat was not clean and there was a partially used bar of soap from a previous customers sitting on top of one of the towels on the rack. I'm usually a hard person to annoy/displease, however after seeing those things doubts start start to creep into your mind about how clean the rest of the room is.

The service at the breakfast buffet was phenomenal. The staff was great, especially the kitchen ladies. The breakfast buffet could have used a few more choices of food, it lacked the fruit and oatmeal I find at most HGI's i stay at. I don't recall ever seeing a waffle maker at a HGI either, made it feel more like a Hampton Inn breakfast.

The good: Great location downtown, close to the highway ramp and public parking right across the street, however next time I am in Richmond I'll stick to the Double Tree or Embassy suites outside of town.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Janding;

Thank you for your recent stay and feedback. I was certainly disappointed to hear of your concerns; no wake up call, and your other noted comments. I have emailed you personally to further discuss and address, as we value you a loyal guest and hope to restore your faith in our hotel and services. I look forward to your email.

John Cario
GM
Healdsburg, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

The hotel is across the street from the convention center and within walking distance of several restaurants and a great pub. The staff was outstanding, Miss C. at the front desk and the valet team were without a doubt the most helpful and friendly I have encountered. There is a restaurant and bar, both of which are designed more for privacy than max capacity which is nice. I have traveled for my job the last seven years, if you are looking for a downtown hotel that you will not be disappointed with, this is the one.

Dear DA;

Thank you for your visit and feedback. I will certainly thank Ms. C, the desk and valet teams for their efforts with your recent visit. Thanks,

John Cario - GM

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Downtown? Share your experiences!