“Love this Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Woodbridge, Virginia
“Love this Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I often stay at the Hilton Garden Inn when I attend the Virginia Wine Expo across the street. The king size bed was comfortable because the beds have a comfort system that allows you to adjust the bed to your comfort level (soft or firm). There is a dial on each side of the bed to adjust to your needs.

Microwave and mini refrigerator were in place as stated on their website. so no problem there. I barely registered any noise when the heating system kicked in, so no problem there.

The staff was very welcoming and helpful; I still had work to do on Friday night.

Valet parking ($21.00 a day) is an option but believe it or not my car made it out front before I got down stair from the 4th floor.
The Hotel has a shuttle that is great since the hotel is located downtown Richmond, Virginia. This hotel is also across the street from the Richmond Convention Center.

Their hotel shuttle dropped me off at a local soul food family style restaurant called MamaJ’s. The food was excellent and if you go try the coconut cake!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you for your visit and great feedback on our hotel, as well the area. Yes we love Mama J's too when we have the chance to visit the local restaurants, great dishes ! I love those cornbread muffins, now you got me hungry.

We look forward to your next visit.

John C - GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

My position as Administrative Judge, U.S. Immigration requires traveling worldwide and staying in many hotels. I am confronted with as many predicaments anytime. This time a very cold, rainy weekend in Richmond, Virginia. Experiencing cold in Beijing, China is customarily COLD. But, this weekend in Richmond was a winner.

I shared my predicament with Torrey (front desk). He dispatched Mike Venable, Engineer (who actually visited twice and literally changed A/C equipment.) Personal solution: Cover with a lot of blankets and request a room change the next day (handled by Jimmel, Kristie and "Miss C). And, don't forget Supervisor Aubrey (Torrey's play father). [His mother looks better]

Since it was too cold to go out, I hung out at Garden Bar (Ms. Ashleigh of Brooklyn). Had just a wonderful time. What really made my stay wonderful was meeting one of my best friends in the U.S. (Mr. Benjamin Ross). He provided a short tour; we remininisced; and actually drove me to the Main Street Station on my departure.

I can't tell you how these people made my stay SUPER! It couldn't be better visiting home. Please thank them for me. And I highly recommend this Inn on your visit to Richmond, Virginia. Thanking you, I am...

Sincerely yours,

Reginald T. Hughes
Beijing, China PRC

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Reggie;

Thanks for your visit to the US, Richmond and our HGI. It was a pleasure to read your review and see you met many of our great team members here. I have shared your feedback with the majority, and thanked them for their efforts in making our guests stay with us comfortable and enjoyable. We know you have choices, and we want to always be your top choice in travel.

We hope to see you again in the near future should your travels bring you back. On a side note, Hilton Garden is adding many international locations ahead, so look for these new locations in your travels too.

Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

My husband travels on business to Richmond on a regular basis and is very complimentary of this hotel. I have also stayed in this hotel on occasion. It is of higher quality than normally found in Hilton Garden Inns and the service is truly outstanding. In terms of location, this hotel is second to none, located conveniently in the center of the downtown. My husband travels globally and considers John Cario, General Manager, to be the best manager he encounters. John always provides a personal service and attention over and above what is typically found at more prestigious hotels. This is very much appreciated by the frequent traveler! This class of service extends to the hotel's small restaurant and bar, which has a limited but excellent selection of appetizers and entries. Kam, the bar manager, is professional and personable. All in all, we rate the Hilton Garden Inn as one of the best places to stay in downtown Richmond.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Chilli-Girl;

Thanks so much for your recent visit to our hotel, as well your husbands many visits with us. We appreciate our loyal Hilton Honor's guests, and certainly strive to provide a pleasant and enjoyable environment for all our guests, and visitors to Richmond, VA. Our goal is to always try to create a "wow" moment, or visit.

I appreciate the "shout out" of my services, but have to thank my team for consistently providing "the light and warmth of our hospitality" at this HGI, and making all of us look good.

Richmond
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Hilton Garden Inn. The staff and management were polite and very helpful and the room was very comfortable. Every day I had breakfast and lunch in the dining facility and enjoyed each meal. My reason for visiting was to attend a four day class which was taught there and the room and facilities for the training were quite accommodating. Thank you providing such a nice visit in a clean environment with such a courteous team.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear David;

We appreciate your recent "4 day" visit and feedback on Tripadvisor. Glad to hear all went well, and we hope to see you back in Richmond again, or another Hilton stay in the future.

GM
Wheeling, West Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

So I had some parking issues before I even made it to the hotel. Which when your vehicle is 45 feet long you can just put it anywhere. So I called the hotel in advance and spoke with Lyndsey from the front desk. Explained my issue and she took care of the rest. She called me back a few times to make sure everything was set for my groups arrival and that I knew they would having parking for me. Even though it was a Saturday she took care of it. When I arrived I was greeted by first name by Jamule (forget the spelling) front the front desk. The most pleasant fd employee I have every dealt with. Each time I was in the lobby he greeted me by first name. Very nice to see such greet care. Patrick the valet manager took greet care of me. Riding on my bus with me so I didn't get lost on my way to there overflow lot. Even offering a ride back to the hotel for me. When I returned from parking Lyndsey the fd manager greeted me in the lobby with a great conversation and recommendations on dinner choices for my group. On my way to the elevator a waiter which wasn't busy at the time ran out of the lobby just to fetch the elevator for me. This hotel by far excels at customer service, and that means a lot. The hotel itself is very nice, clean rooms, and fast Wifi. My only concern as many others I have read is housekeeping needs to bleach the showers. The file and grout could use some extra cleaning. However I would definitely recommend a stay here. Thats is for the great customer service skills.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Dru H;

Thanks so much for your great feedback on your stay. I was so glad to hear we were able to park you bus, and take great care of you during your visit. I have shared all your comments with the team to celebrate the news, and address a few of your observations !!

Come back and see us !

Columbia, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We stayed here with a group of friends for an event at the Greater Richmond Convention Center based on reviews I read on TA, and I'm so glad that we did. One couple had booked a non-refundable room and couldn't join us due to a last-minute illness. The hotel staff allowed us to cancel our room and take over our friends' reservation, which was very much appreciated.

Overall we were all impressed with the service and rooms here. My husband, 3 year old and I stayed in a corner suite, which was very spacious and airy. The wet bar and two bathrooms made it easily to entertain the rest of the group, and we had nice views of downtown Richmond.

The only things I didn't absolutely love were the beds (which we saw Maintenance changing out of other rooms as we were checking out), as they were rock-hard. I like a firm mattress, but it felt like I was sleeping on a sheet of plywood. Our room did have a few scuffs here and there, but it was very clean overall. One little nitpicky thing: our room didn't have a bottle opener with the wet bar, but another couple found one in their room.

The city location was great--we were able to walk across the street to the convention center and numerous restaurants are within walking distance. If you aren't used to city noise, you might have trouble sleeping; for me it wasn't a problem.

Even the valet was relatively quick to get our cars, which was surprising given the number of people checking in and out while we were there.

We don't travel to Richmond often, but if/when we're in the area again, I'd gladly stay here... maybe I'll even ask for room 609 again. :)

Room Tip: The corner suite was very spacious and had tons of natural light in the afternoon.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Alligeek;

Thanks for your recent visit and great feedback about the hotel, your suite and the team. We'll share with all and celebrate your great comments.

We hope to see you back in Richmond soon.

John C - GM
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I am a diamond member at Hilton and this hotel was on average as compared to the chains other distinguished hotels. The rooms are very nice with good water pressure, which always makes my morning. The hotel shuttle and bellmen are the star of the show, making you feel like you are at home. Very special thanks to the following for your distinguished service and southern charm. If i come back to Richmond it would be to take one last drive with these fine gentlemen.

Reggie Williams
Benjerman Ross
James Byrd
James Gadison
Ekor Bartel

The downside of this hotel and why i only gave it 3 stars is due to a small fitness area and subpar restaurant service and food, although the free bar chips are some of the best I’ve had. I ate many times in the restaurant and maybe 1 out of 5 times my food order was cooked correctly or right items were brought out. A level of caring about what is being served is required to make good food. The bar staff was sometimes unfriendly when busy and at times charged me amounts different then what was on the menu. I was also told that i could not sit in the bar area if i ordered takeout food, and was forced to bring it up to the room. Sometimes you just don’t want to be in the room and the food and service sure did not make me want to order in the restaurant. The quality of breakfast in a hotel is never great so my expectations were met here, but 15 to 30 dollar meals for dinner did not.

When traveling over 100 days a year the small details such as quality food, a clean room, good water preasure, and friendly people really do count.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the elevator seem to be better
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Brian;

Thank you for your Hilton Brand Loyalty and your many visits with us. Your feedback was shared with the team, and we thanked those whom you mentioned. We'll also put your thoughts to work to continue to make our hotel a great place for all to stay.

I also sent you a personal email to thank / and discuss further.

John Cario

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Downtown? Share your experiences!