“Best Customer Service Ever!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast and Parking
Ranked #6 of 81 hotels in Richmond
Wheeling, West Virginia, United States
“Best Customer Service Ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

So I had some parking issues before I even made it to the hotel. Which when your vehicle is 45 feet long you can just put it anywhere. So I called the hotel in advance and spoke with Lyndsey from the front desk. Explained my issue and she took care of the rest. She called me back a few times to make sure everything was set for my groups arrival and that I knew they would having parking for me. Even though it was a Saturday she took care of it. When I arrived I was greeted by first name by Jamule (forget the spelling) front the front desk. The most pleasant fd employee I have every dealt with. Each time I was in the lobby he greeted me by first name. Very nice to see such greet care. Patrick the valet manager took greet care of me. Riding on my bus with me so I didn't get lost on my way to there overflow lot. Even offering a ride back to the hotel for me. When I returned from parking Lyndsey the fd manager greeted me in the lobby with a great conversation and recommendations on dinner choices for my group. On my way to the elevator a waiter which wasn't busy at the time ran out of the lobby just to fetch the elevator for me. This hotel by far excels at customer service, and that means a lot. The hotel itself is very nice, clean rooms, and fast Wifi. My only concern as many others I have read is housekeeping needs to bleach the showers. The file and grout could use some extra cleaning. However I would definitely recommend a stay here. Thats is for the great customer service skills.

• Stayed February 2013
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Dru H;

Thanks so much for your great feedback on your stay. I was so glad to hear we were able to park you bus, and take great care of you during your visit. I have shared all your comments with the team to celebrate the news, and address a few of your observations !!

Come back and see us !

564 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Columbia, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We stayed here with a group of friends for an event at the Greater Richmond Convention Center based on reviews I read on TA, and I'm so glad that we did. One couple had booked a non-refundable room and couldn't join us due to a last-minute illness. The hotel staff allowed us to cancel our room and take over our friends' reservation, which was very much appreciated.

Overall we were all impressed with the service and rooms here. My husband, 3 year old and I stayed in a corner suite, which was very spacious and airy. The wet bar and two bathrooms made it easily to entertain the rest of the group, and we had nice views of downtown Richmond.

The only things I didn't absolutely love were the beds (which we saw Maintenance changing out of other rooms as we were checking out), as they were rock-hard. I like a firm mattress, but it felt like I was sleeping on a sheet of plywood. Our room did have a few scuffs here and there, but it was very clean overall. One little nitpicky thing: our room didn't have a bottle opener with the wet bar, but another couple found one in their room.

The city location was great--we were able to walk across the street to the convention center and numerous restaurants are within walking distance. If you aren't used to city noise, you might have trouble sleeping; for me it wasn't a problem.

Even the valet was relatively quick to get our cars, which was surprising given the number of people checking in and out while we were there.

We don't travel to Richmond often, but if/when we're in the area again, I'd gladly stay here... maybe I'll even ask for room 609 again. :)

Room Tip: The corner suite was very spacious and had tons of natural light in the afternoon.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Alligeek;

Thanks for your recent visit and great feedback about the hotel, your suite and the team. We'll share with all and celebrate your great comments.

We hope to see you back in Richmond soon.

John C - GM
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I am a diamond member at Hilton and this hotel was on average as compared to the chains other distinguished hotels. The rooms are very nice with good water pressure, which always makes my morning. The hotel shuttle and bellmen are the star of the show, making you feel like you are at home. Very special thanks to the following for your distinguished service and southern charm. If i come back to Richmond it would be to take one last drive with these fine gentlemen.

Reggie Williams
Benjerman Ross
James Byrd
James Gadison
Ekor Bartel

The downside of this hotel and why i only gave it 3 stars is due to a small fitness area and subpar restaurant service and food, although the free bar chips are some of the best I’ve had. I ate many times in the restaurant and maybe 1 out of 5 times my food order was cooked correctly or right items were brought out. A level of caring about what is being served is required to make good food. The bar staff was sometimes unfriendly when busy and at times charged me amounts different then what was on the menu. I was also told that i could not sit in the bar area if i ordered takeout food, and was forced to bring it up to the room. Sometimes you just don’t want to be in the room and the food and service sure did not make me want to order in the restaurant. The quality of breakfast in a hotel is never great so my expectations were met here, but 15 to 30 dollar meals for dinner did not.

When traveling over 100 days a year the small details such as quality food, a clean room, good water preasure, and friendly people really do count.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the elevator seem to be better
Dear Brian;

Thank you for your Hilton Brand Loyalty and your many visits with us. Your feedback was shared with the team, and we thanked those whom you mentioned. We'll also put your thoughts to work to continue to make our hotel a great place for all to stay.

I also sent you a personal email to thank / and discuss further.

Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn - Richmond Downtown location on Feb. 8th and the service that I received from all of the staff was outstanding! Everyone was extremely nice and accommodating to my needs. One employee who stood out was Art Stewart who checked me in at the front desk. There was a bad snow storm that affected much of the east coast and caused my airline reservations to be changed. Instead of arriving in Richmond at 3:00 pm, I arrived around 12:45 pm to the hotel. I explained to Art that my travel day had worn me out, as I had to take a flight at 6:10 am and travel to Atlanta just to arrive to Richmond for my scheduled business. Check in is not until 4:00 pm, but Art was able to get me a room early so that I can get the needed rest for my business meeting the following day.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Trinia;

Thank you for your recent stay and feedback on Tripadvisor. I was sorry to hear you had tough travels during one of the storms, but glad to hear Art assisted you as noted. I will thank Art for his efforts, and we do hope to see you soon back to Richmond.

GM
Pasadena, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We just stayed at this hotel in early Feb. 2013. Very nicely decorated and they even had displays with information about the dept. store that was once in this location. The staff is very friendly. We did notice a little street noise so I'd suggest requesting an upper floor. The convention center is across the street. Valet parking on the property runs $21 per day, otherwise you must find somewhere else to park a car.

Room Tip: Rooms on floors 5, 6 & 7 have a city view and less street noise.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Traveljen;

We appreciate your visit to Richmond and stay with us at the HGI - former Miller & Rhoads department store. Yes, sometimes you can hear the "sounds of the city", and sometimes as you noted on the higher floors, or our interior "atrium" rooms it is very quiet. We'll share your feedback with the team, and look forward to your next visit.

John & team
Damascus, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Easy access to convention center and capitol. Great restaurants within walking distance. Very helpful hotel staff. Unique hotel layout. Nice quite room, but a long walk to get to it...which was okay. Staff did a great job of taking care of every need, like storing bags until conference was over and even lent me corkscrew.

Dear DB22112;

Thanks for your recent visit and feedback on Tripadvisor. We appreciate you taking some time to provide us info. about your visit, and we'll share it with the team.

We hope to see you back in Richmond soon !

John Cario - GM
Newport News, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I am the Executive Director of a small state organization. We chose the Hilton Garden Inn for a very important annual event and they could not have been better! Kathryn McDonald, the Catering Manager was outstanding to work with and Matthew Richardson, their chef was magnificent! My organization and our guests could not have been happier! The General Manager John Cario was there during the planning to the finish and always available, although his staff handled everything with great professionalism. Our block of rooms were great. Very clean and comfortable.

Dear VSC;

Thank you for your recent event at our facility. We certainly enjoyed hosting this event, and we also appreciate your kind feedback regarding the team. I will personally thank each for ensuring your event was a success. We hope to see you should your travels bring you back to Richmond and our HGI.

John Cario - GM

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Downtown? Share your experiences!