“Home Away From Home” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Brisbane
“Home Away From Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

From the minute I walked in the front door I was made to feel very welcome and after a long flight from Australia, it was very refreshing. The Free shuttle service was fantastic, I got to see many of the local attractions around Richmond thanks to this service.
The spa wasn't working for a short time, but once fixed it wasn't much more than a few ripples on the surface of the water, non the less still relaxing but just not as 'bubbly' as I have experienced before. In saying that, I wasn't there to spend my time in the spa, it was clean.
I stayed here for 11 nights (and got a fantastic rate) and was extremely comfortable the whole time. I caught the shuttle to Carry town most days to have breakfast at a Diner there as it was a fraction of the cost of the hotel breakfast.

On my return back to OZ I realised I had left my phone charger in my room, the Hotel staff were able to track it down and sent it back to me free of charge. Thank you to all who helped make my holiday that much more enjoyable, and my regular shuttle driver 'Reggie' lovely helpful man :)

Over all a fantastic experience, I recommend this Hotel and I will definitely stay here again if and when I was to return to Richmond.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear AussieDoll;

Thanks for your recent USA visit and stay with us at the HGI - Richmond Downtown. I was glad to hear you had a "fantastic" stay, as well we were able to return your lost item to you. Please come back and visit, from Down Under way !

John Cario - GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Charlottesville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

So the good and the bad of this hotel.
Good: Location ( cant beat it for access to local attractions) ,Cleanliness of room , price , friendliness of staff.
Bad: lack of staff in general, those whom were there were nice and working very hard but there just seemed to be a lack of people around .Examples are , having to ask at reception to find the valet parking team , having to ask at reception to find the concierge , having to keep asking the busy breakfast servers to refill juice , and bacon and sausage and eggs and juice again etc. People waiting a long time for cooked requests as there was only one poor lady scrambling to cook food for 50 people . Breakfast was a tad expensive at $13 for a cooked breakfast but probably the going rate for downtown.$21 for valet parking but again that's the going rate at all the hotels so generally bad not specific to this hotel

Room Tip: Ask for a room in high floor away from the elivators
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear BV;

Thank you for your recent visit and feedback. We have had a busy few weeks in the city and at the hotel, and while we staff for the peaks and valley's of our business, it sounds like we need to circle back to some staffing in key areas as you noted. We also have key management, including myself, work the lobby and restaurant to ensure we don't miss a beat ! I welcome your call or email to understand the exact dates / times of your visits, so we can improve on all you mentioned. Happy Holiday's ahead,

Washington, Nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Unbelievable location, impeccable shape, incredible staff, well thought out location. Also well thought out design.
The staff, headed by General Manager John P. Cario, is well trained to make a visit a like home experience. Clearly the staff has been selected to be client focused. You cannot meet anyone on the staff in the halls, lobby or car lot without a personal hello and "what can I do for you". Marie at the desk will make you feel you are home, a smile beyond belief and she is only the start. Pool, hot tub, bar, killer breakfast....homey lobby...I'm moving in! Kudos Hilton. This is not a "Garden Inn". This is much, much more!
I married my daughter here and look forward to come back!
Tim O'Brien, New York, NY and lets go back!!!!!

Room Tip: Talk to the desk staff for your needs. They will bend over backwards to accomodate you
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Tim;

Thank you for your recent stay and feedback. Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, especially during a grand event, your daughter's wedding. We will share your positive comments with the team, and certainly look forward to your return visit.

Smyrna, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

I travel alot for busness and was recently a customer at this Hotel. During my stay I couldnt sleep all night because I could barely breathe. My allergies kicked into high gear all night and I couldnt understand why. My left nose and left side of my head was completely clogged, and I blew through half a box of tissues throughout the night. I finally fell asleep and woke up in the morning only to accidentally open the air filtration system and discover what was the filthiest air filter I have ever seen. This filter looks like it hasnt been changed in YEARS. I will never come back here and will let everyone including corporate know that this is completely unacceptable. Do not stay there if you have allergies or enjoy clean air.

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for your stay and feedback. I was disappointed to hear of your poor sleep, and the findings of a dirty air filter. I can assure you I personally check 10% of the arrivals daily not only for cleanliness, and a peek at the filters, under the beds, etc.... but to also leave a welcome note and goody for our top Hilton Honor's travelers. I can further assure you my team consistently exceeds the Brand goals for rooms preventive maintenance, which includes changing the filters.

Bottomline, no excuses, and I welcome your call or email to discuss further, and by now you should also have an email from me to further investigate. We as a hotel and brand have a promise, and if you are not happy we want to know and we want to address your concerns to make you happy, and return.

Count on me to fix this,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here one night in early November for the VCU open house. Strike one, was the lack of signage for non-valet parking. I would not have valeted if I had seen where to enter the garage. The gal at the front desk was very pleasant. She gave me a few recommendations for dinner and discussed VCU with us a bit (she was an alum). After helping ourselves to the yummy complimentary cookies, we went up to our room. It was quite spacious. However, the beds were rock hard and made for an uncomfortable nights sleep. The next morning, I discovered that the valve to switch water to the shower was mostly broken which meant it was almost impossible to wash my hair. Then I discovered the coffee maker was broken. At this point, I was VERY displeased to say the least. I phoned down to the front desk and the clerk arranged for a replacement coffee maker and offered a 25% room discount for the shower problem. My other issue with this hotel was that the rate did not include a complimentary breakfast. I usually stay at Hilton Garden Inns while on road trips and cannot recall one that didn't offer breakfast. This was annoying to say the least as I certainly wasn't going to pay their inflated breakfast rate! Should I find myself needing to stay in this area again, I will probably stay at the Marriott across the street.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
tripin1, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear "Nostoppingus";

Thank you for your visit and feedback. We realize our guests have lodging choices, however let me address on a few of your points; HGI has Garden Sleep System beds that allow you to dial in your comfort setting. Perhaps we missed discussing this with you ? We usually have rave reviews on our beds as the guest can dial in their preference. HGI also has a full cooked to order buffet breakfast, so while it is not complimentary, it offers a wide selection of choices. While many of our Hilton Honor's guests chose breakfast as a perk vs. extra points, it is not complimentary, unless part of a package (Bed & Breakfast) or other program. I was glad to hear the team offered a discount due to your concerns and comments, and certainly welcome another conversation to show we can do better. Best of luck.

Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Solid hotel for business travel - the staff was great (I especially appreciated the free shuttle service around the nearby areas), and the location was perfect for attending my conference (30 second walk). The bar was very nice with great bartenders & the restaurant was decent, but nothing to rave about. The rooms were clean (although I could not get my room made up the second day of my stay no matter how many times I called!).

The front desk staff were so attentive and friendly - they really made the stay enjoyable!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Lawgr8r;

Thanks for your visit and recent TA post. Glad to hear a "Decent Hotel", but would love to chat on how we can be "raved" about in the future. I look forward to some additional thoughts, I'll send a personal email. I will certainly discuss your notes regarding housekeeping service.

GM
Covington, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Booked and stayed here 3 nights during a recent business trip. In the heart of downtown Richmond. Frontdesk staff was courteous and accommodating. Check-in was quick. Got a rate that included both parking and full breakfast. The valet parking was efficient enough. The hot breakfast was pretty good. Eating at the hotel's restaurant can be rather expensive; there are a couple of places within walking distance. The room was comfortable, clean and modern. My view sucked though; it was on the second floor, which happened to be the outdoor plaza area between the next building, so all I could see were a few bistro tables and chairs, and windows from the next building. I had to keep my room blinds closed since the building was so close. Other than that, the room had the basic amenities; microwave, fridge, flatscreen TV, desk/work area and free internet access. I'm sure I'll be visiting Richmond again and may stay there.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Cov Traveler;

Thanks for your visit and positive feedback, aside from your view. We do have other rooms with a better view, and hope to show this better view on your next stay. Thanks, John C.

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Downtown? Share your experiences!