“Pleasant experience” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
California USA
“Pleasant experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

My experience was pretty good. The front desk staff was very friendly and hospitable, always asking me if everything was ok. I really enjoyed the car service that they offer. They will drive you to and pick you up from within 2 miles of the hotel. And the hotel is centrally located in downtown so it was easy to be dropped off in different neighborhoods. This service made it very convenient to venture out and not worry about getting too tired to walk back to the hotel.
The bathroom in my room was large and looked newly remodeled so I felt it was cleaner and more spacious than a lot of hotel bathrooms I've seen. In the room itself, it was clear that the building was an older building. But that's part of the charm of staying in a historic building.
The continental breakfast was good and the neighborhood was safe.
I had a pleasant experience and I'd recommend this hotel.

Stayed August 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Taiyuan, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2008

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at the Linden Row Inn, though there were some issues. It is reasonably priced for an urban hotel, and is more a historic budget hotel than a fancy old B&B. If you prefer character to perfection, you will probably like this hotel, if you prefer a flawless, newly renovated place, you'll probably be happier elsewhere.

We were told it is under new ownership, and that the evening wine and cheese has been discontinued. More importantly, the hotel now has wireless internet.

Pluses:
-Great public spaces--the sitting room and lovely courtyard with fountain
-Large rooms with high ceilings and (non-working) fireplaces
-Friendly staff
-Free apples, coffee, & tea all day
-Good price for downtown location
-Free local shuttle
-Generally clean
-Free wireless internet

Minuses:
-No off-street self-parking
-Walls, doors, carpets a bit worn and scuffed up.
-Water-stained bathroom floors (stone tiles seem to be stained from leaking air conditioning vents)
-Some smell in hallway
-No elevator for some rooms
-Free breakfast is not that great, but the coffee is decent
-The air conditioning system seems to have issues--we had problems in two rooms
-Some rooms dark
-No in-room safes, terrible locks on rooms.
-Minor problems with housekeeping (a used coffee packet in coffeemaker when we arrived; used towels left on floor after cleaning)

Queen rooms include a closet, wardrobe, small TV with HBO, desk with chair, lounge chair, and night stand with alarm clock and phone. Some rooms have coffee makers and others do not.

The air conditioning in our first room didn't work. It was a smaller room, but had lots of windows and was really bright. No problem--we were switched to another room. Both rooms were in the main building and accessible by elevator.

Our second room was larger, but the only window opened onto the porch, so was rather dark. The blinds didn't open and close properly, which was fixed.

After a couple of days, quite a bit of water dripped out of the air conditioning. We were offered another room, but chose to stay and the problem was fixed and the ceiling tile replaced.

We had problems, but they were addressed quickly and appropriately. I suspect that the condition of the hotel means that problems with things are common.

• Liked — Historic with nice courtyard
  • Disliked — Not everything worked
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2008

I thought this was a really charming hotel. I booked a room at the hotel based on a Fodor’s review which sited that the building goes back to the 1840’s when it was the home of well-to-do Richmond citizens. The gardens of the hotel courtyard is also where Edgar Allan Poe played as a child. His poem Enchanted Garden is suppose to have been inspired by this place. The original buildings were turned into the current hotel back in the late 1980’s. The courtyard/garden is now the focus of the hotel and you enter you rooms via a verandah that faces the courtyard. The courtyard is a lovely brick lined space with tables placed throughout; it’s a great spot to sit down with a drink and a book. I would highly recommend setting some time aside to enjoy this space with a nice glass of wine (don’t forget to bring your own bottle).

The room I stayed in was very large with high ceilings. It had two very large windows and long curtains, a fireplace (not functional), and a large modern bathroom with lots of hot water and good pressure. However, the hotel is not a luxury five diamond facility, but a bargain in downtown Richmond. The furnishings were nice and in keeping with the period of the homes. If you are looking for something that is modern and sterile, this may not be the place for you . If you like historical architecture, you will probably find this hotel very appealing.

The hotel neighborhood felt safe. The hotel is located two blocks from the Jefferson Hotel (a five diamond hotel with an impressive lobby worth visiting). I visited the “Lucky Penny” pub four blocks away and “Comfort” restaurant also four blocks in the opposite direction. Both were excellent. The hotel offers Valet parking for $10.50. I would recommend it since at the end of the day you are in a downtown urban environment. Besides the hotel offers free shuttle service, so you can dropped off and picked up without you having to worry about parking.

The staff at the hotel was always friendly and eager to help you. There is a quality of excellent hospitality you don’t seem to get at most chain hotels. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Linden Row Inn , and we’ll be returning soon!

• Liked — Architecture, History of the buildings
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bethel, ME
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2008

My husband and I run a small B&B ourselves so we tend to be pretty critical of places we stay. Linden Row was wonderful - spacious, well-kept & well-furnished rooms, and fantastic, friendly service. We especially appreciated the free van service the hotel staff provided, which allowed us to go out to dinner without worrying about finding the restaurant or where to park the car. We were delivered to the restaurants at the time we asked and were picked up again within ten minutes when we called. Their public space had comfortable chairs arranged for small groups, so we could easily socialize with the friends we were traveling with.

The staff was gracious and had many suggestions for where to go and where to eat - and their advice was uniformly great Our only (slight) disappointment was the continental breakfast which was adequate, but not special. (We admit to a bias where breakfasts are concerned!)

• Liked — Spacious rooms, great staff, van service
  • Disliked — Continental breakfast
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2008

you are being warned!!!!!! this place is not good and you should pay ATTENTION to the reviews. our experience was one i will not forget. maid service was awful and desk clerks do not know what they are doing!!!!be sure to check your bill as they will charge you wrong and or put on wrong card. managers not willing to please the customer soooooooooo stay away!!!!!!

• Liked — courtyard
  • Disliked — desk clerk.maidservice ,management
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2008

BEWARE!!!!!!! This place is awful our rooms were not ready until 4:30 when we arrived. Then at bedtime I pulled down my covers to find my bed FULL of hair I checked the other bed and it was the same way. I called the front desk they brought up clean sheets but I had to ask them to make the bed as they were just going to hand them to me. They had no clean pillow cases to give me so they threw a sheet over my pillows. They have no idea how to run that place. BEWARE!!

• Liked — nothint
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed May 2008
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2008

I stayed for one night but was very impressed and will return next time I am in Richmond. It was fun staying in such an historic set of buildings. I was in a garden room. The bed was a bit too hard but everything was clean and quaint. I enjoyed the complimentary breakfast. All staff members I met were very kind and helpful.

I paid for the valet parking since there didn't seem to be any convenient street parking nearby. I did not take advantage of their complimentary van service but I will next time. I attended a concert at nearby Virginia Commonwealth University and parking on campus was very difficult. It would be great to have them just drop me off and then come pick me up.

During the day, I found that the area is pleasant for walking.There are some beautiful buildings near there, including the (pricey) Jefferson Hotel. I'd feel much less safe at night. I didn't see any restaurants that were close by. I think I might use their van service for that as well.

It's really not all that far to walk down to the beautiful Capitol building. (Tours start on the hour).

I walked past the YMCA which was very close by, but didn't have time to use their services which are available for free for hotel patrons. The YMCA looked busy and pleasant.

• Liked — Charming. Friendly.
  • Disliked — Bed too hard. Possibly a bit too shabby.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Linden Row Inn? Share your experiences!