“Mostly Fun Olden Days Atmosphere @ Linden Row Inn” 4 of 5 stars

Linden Row Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 E. Franklin St, Richmond, VA 23219   |
Ranked #12 of 81 hotels in Richmond
Aomori, Japan
“Mostly Fun Olden Days Atmosphere @ Linden Row Inn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Executive summary from two nights' stay in November, 2012: good location for exploring Richmond; parlour suite was comfortable, spacious, and decent value for money; staff was helpful and pleasant; continental breakfast was just OK.

Details: I liked the Linden Inn's arrangement of connected, old row houses surrounding an interior court yard. The parlour suite (an upgrade -- thanks!) was clean, enormous, comfortable, and well-furnished -- but (grumble, grumble) I thought the ginormous room also should have included a small-sized frig (without paying extra for it) and a few plates, glasses, and cutlery.

Biggest area for improvement: the included breakfast was very basic for the hotel's mid-$100s tariff. Its range of offerings (awful burned coffee, basic breads, yogurt, generic waffles) fell well short of what you'd expect to find in any modern traveler's hotel (e.g. Marriott Residence Inn). To cite a specific example (and without meaning to be petty): the kitchen staff declared that the oatmeal was "all gone, got to get there sooner" 45 minutes before the end of breakfast. Cheapo -- what's that about?

Minor gripes aside, I would recommend Linden Row Inn (and especially in the spring and fall) to others wanting to experience an idiosyncratic old-times atmosphere located in the middle of an interesting city.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
LindenRowInnMgmt, Manager at Linden Row Inn, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share some constructive feedback on your stay at the Linden Row Inn. We are pleased to hear that, on the whole, you enjoyed your visit. We do apologize that our complimentary continental breakfast failed to meet expectations. We are continuously exploring opportunities to improve our services and amenities, and your perspectives on our breakfast and our breakfast staff will certainly be utilized as a valuable input in that process. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

458 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

My husband attends an annual business conference at the Richmond Center which is in walking distance to the Inn. Perfect location in that I can have the car to myself all day! we've stayed at Linden Row for several years and enjoyed it each time. Making reservations, receiving immediate email confirmation, checking in, checking out - it always goes without a hitch. The staff is cheerful & knowledgeable. The room is clean as a whistle. Breakfast is in a nice setting with plentious food. The history of the property is so interesting. Old architectural details abound along side modern convenience.... and the price is right!

Room Tip: our favorite rooms are on the upper floors of the main house.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for staying at the Linden Row Inn during your annual visit to Richmond. We are always happy to welcome back old friends. We look forward to hosting you again next year!
Cowpens, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Our first trip to Richmond, our mission to do one of the runs on Nov 10. For me it was my first marathon and the location and amenities of this hotel helped make it a great experience! Breakfast was great, even early on race day, staff was helpful for restaurant choices and directions. The location was walking distance to start and finish and the partnership with YMCA just put icing on cake! (I like to swim day before long run)! Even for non race weekends, location close to all historical tours and museums! Thanks

Room Tip: Main House rooms are very roomy if more than 2 people in room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for staying at the Linden Row Inn while in town for the Richmond Marathon. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our services and amenities. We look forward to seeing you again next November!
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I could go on for ages about the charm of this small boutique hotel. I looked at it when another place failed to respond to my email enquiries. The ease of reserving the room I wanted was my first clue to this place's suitability. When I checked in, weary and mussed from miles of trudging, receptions gracious welcome further warmed me to the Linden Row Inn. It was my room that did the trick, though; a spacious room with the tv sequestered in a tasteful armoire really charmed me.

The queen bed was comfortable, the shower was hot, and the water pressure strong. The breakfast provided with the cost of the room was tasty and unfussy. The location in Richmond was also a great asset, and the free shuttle to the train station provided the perfect touch for an idyllic stay. I will gladly return to this inn.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Linden Row Inn with the TripAdvisor community. We are pleased that you found our boutique historic hotel to be "exquisitely comfortable." We look forward to your next visit!
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Now, your taste in hotels might not be the same as mine, so let me state upfront that this I tend to prefer staying in a hotel that is not cookie-cutter, that has historic or unique qualities, that really gives one a "sense of place" of the town in which it's location. This is the Linden Row Inn, in spades! Very unique, historic, well-renovated hotel. I found my room nicely furnished and the bed & mattress & pillows super comfortable. Front desk staff was always pleasant and helpful.

Although they offer valet parking, I found it much more convenient to just park on nearby streets (just make sure that for overnight parking, you park on a street that isn't marked no parking during morning rush hour!) and I found it very easy to get from here to various other places around the city.

Many of the rooms face onto a nice courtyard.
The room rate was quite reasonable relative to the quality of the lodging.

Room Tip: I liked staying on the second floor but do keep in mind that you access the 2nd floor rooms from an...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review of your recent stay at the Linden Row Inn. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our property's unique qualities.

We also appreciate your recommendation on being cognizant of the street parking signs. As the City actively enforces the street parking regulations in Downtown Richmond, we generally encourage our guests to take advantage of our valet parking service.

We hope to see you again soon!
Columbia, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We went to Richmond for a wedding and decided to stay downtown. It is an Inn staff were very nice, shuttle service available within 2 miles radius of the Inn. Valet parking available, we parked on the street. We were in a very nice room but the rooms do vary considerably.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying at the Linden Row Inn during your recent visit to Richmond. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our services and amenities. We hope to see you again soon!
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I just returned from an overnight stay at the Linden Row Inn while in Richmond for a wedding. I'd stayed there once before, many years ago, and nothing has changed. LRI doesn't pretend to be a Relais & Chateau property, and as long as your expectations are kept in check, it is a good alternative to the large downtown hotels. It reminded me of some of my favorite 3 star, European hotels in my younger travel days.

The Inn is well located--within walking distance of many of the historic downtown sites and a long but pleasant walk to the restaurants and bars of Shockoe Valley. They also have a van that will shuttle you to locations within 2 miles of the Inn (I didn't use the service so cannot comment on it). I didn't take advantage of the breakfast because one of my favorite diners, Perlys, is right around the corner (get the biscuits).

The room was very large and very basic. The television reception was poor, and both the smoke detector as well as the bathroom fan/light were not fully attached to the ceiling. But the bed was comfortable, and the room was clean, as other reviewers have noted.

This is an old property, and the "renovations," such as they are, are primarily surface cosmetic touches. The floors and the plumbing are creaky, and it's wise to keep one hand on the shower control, as the water temperature seems to have a mind of its own (at least at 8:00 a.m., which is probably peak usage).

In summary, the LRI has its own charm and a great location. Children (particularly under 17) might find it a little creepy, but if the Jefferson Hotel is too expensive (or booked), it's certainly preferable to the chain hotels right in the downtown area. I'd go back.

Room Tip: Check the usual internet sites for deals. I booked through the Inn's web site and paid $161, ta...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Linden Row Inn. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Been to Linden Row Inn? Share your experiences!