“Beautiful hotel, excellent service” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
20% off room rate
Ranked #19 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
New York City, New York
“Beautiful hotel, excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2006

The only problem we had with this hotel is that we couldn't stay longer!!! The room was very small, however it was cozy, comfortable, nicely decorated and extremely clean. The bed was very comfortable, and the linens were wonderful!

The staff was very accommodating, professional and friendly. While we were concerned that they could only offer us a smoking room, the manager - who happened to be at the desk during our check-in process - offered to go up to the room before us to ensure it did not reek of smoke. This was sincerely appreciated, and the room was indeed just fine.

We ordered room service for breakfast the next morning - and received the same excellent service we received from the rest of the hotel staff.

We would strongly recommend this hotel - and in fact will most likely make plans to visit Richmond again specifically because this property did such an outstanding job of respresenting their city.

• Liked — The room was beautiful and comfortable. The staff was also excellent.
  • Disliked — We can't think of one thing!
  • Tips/Secrets — It may be difficult to find a taxi to anywhere other than the airport.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Alexandria VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2006

It is a small hotel. I was given a room with two double beds that was a bit dated looking and very stale and dark. I was there on business and had to sit on bed to be able to see. It was not a 4 star and the restaurant was very expensive. It is on a cute street though with lots of other places to eat.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — Dark room and stale smell
  • Stayed October 2006
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2006

We made our reservation with the Sales Manager, Jody Moore, who was absolutely wonderful. She was so helpful and acommodating. We just stayed one night on our way to DC, but it was the perfect stop. We drove in, had valet parking at the front door, then walked down to dinner at a nearby restaurant. The room(s) were absolutely wonderful. My husband made the comment that it was perhaps the nicest room he had ever stayed in and we have stayed in several wonderful hotels. We will definately go back.

• Liked — great rooms
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — stay here!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
Montgomery
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2006

I stayed at the Berkeley for the first time in late August, 2006. Our company had already booked a meeting there in October based upon a recommendation (more on that later..big mistake), so I decided to stay there on a trip to Richmond just to get a feel for the hotel. Room was adequate but by no means exceptional, as was the lobby (I didn't eat in the dining room). Staff seemed disinterested in actually helping you, and almost begrudgingly responded to any of your requests. I asked to see the room where we were to meet (which is on the basement level), and when the door was opened, the individual showing me the room and I both almost fell over from the awful smell (like mold or something rotten). The staff person's comment was something like "I guess we need to keep the doors open to air that out".
Well, I'm now seiously worried about the meeting scheduled for October, so I called and told the sales manager my concerns (based upon my personal visit) and asked if we could cancel our booking (which was more than six weeks out). Her answer, after talking to the general manager, was "a contract is a contract" and pay the cancellation penalty. Of course, we're not going to do that so we're stuck going to a hotel with only margianlly adequate rooms (expecially for the price), a unhelpful staff and a stinking meeting room (but in fairness, the sales manager did offer me the option of not having to meet in the stinking basement meeting room, which she said was due to a broken water pipe that had now been fixed).
So, BEWARE of dealing with the Berkely. Don't make the same mistake we did. Honestly, I can't see why anyone would stay there.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Staff, facilities, room
  • Tips/Secrets — Choose somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2006

I had booked this hotel for 1 night only during August. Due to a huge tractor trailer accident impacting traffic flow to Richmond for over 3 hours on 395 S, there was no way to make the meeting- the whole reason for the visit to Richmond. My client decided to reschedule this meeting for a different week. Upon contacting this hotel immediately, I learned of their inflexible cancellation policy which mandated that hotel rooms be cancelled 24 hours in advance. Although I have been a regular and loyal guest staying at the Berkeley since it opened and also a loyal guest of the restaurant where I almost always take my clients, I will never return. This hotel offers no internet capability in the hotel rooms and may not want the business traveller.. Ms. Greenlaw of the rooms division delivered this inflexible approach and stated " that with only 70 rooms, they are more of a B and B than a hotel, so they cannot help out the traveller who may need to cancel within a shorter period."Additionally, she was unwilling to connect me to the General Manager Kevin Worthy, but asked me to write a letter instead. Amazing !

• Disliked — inflexible policies
  • Tips/Secrets — Just don't try and reschedule your travel- they WILL make you pay!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Saigon Vietnam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2006

I took my family to the Berkeley Hotel and we were very happy with the service and accomodations. It is right in the middle of the city and walking distance from great bars and restuarants. I booked two king rooms with sitting areas, but when we checked in, they gave us adjoining rooms with a front hall between the rooms with a seperate door which made it a suite. The room was big and had a long balcony. I parked at the front door and took advantage of their valet parking. The kids had room service while we went out and had a great dinner. The staff was friendly and even helped me when I accidently booked for the wrong nights (brain fart from jet lag...). I will stay here again next time I am in Richmond.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
Latta, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2006

We found this hotel to be quite comfortable. Met friends and had adjoining corner rooms with common terrace overlooking Cary Street. Above average, but not the finest. Was very nice to be downtown and able to walk every place. Did not dine in the restaurant. Room price for midweek were very good. Would return.

• Stayed June 2006

Been to The Berkeley Hotel? Share your experiences!