“Convenient Location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Northern Virgina
“Convenient Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

If you need to stay in downtown Richmond, this is my top choice. It is walking distance to restaurants, shopping, antique stores, bookstore. It is also walking distance to the Library of Virginia if you are doing any kind of research that requires a trip there. Warning it is an uphill walk to the Library and the Capitol but doable. The Omni's rooms are not plush by any means but they are clean. The food? Unless you absolutely cannot go out to eat, take a pass on the hotel food. Way overpriced and not good at all. The best thing about the Omni is the location. It is easy access to I-95 without having to deal with too much downtown traffic. In my opinion, downtown Richmond has hotels in some iffy neighborhoods that I do not feel comfortable walking around in after dark particularly near the Convention Center. The Omni location seems better than most of them in that respect but you still need to be aware of your surroundings because Richmond is not on any "Safest Cities" list. If you are in town for a conference, stay at the Omni and take the conference shuttle to the Convention Center because after your meetings if you want to go out, the neighborhood next to the Omni is a great place to poke around. I would definitely stay there again if I were to go to Richmond again and needed to be in the downtown area. I also liked that they have underground valet parking. It might be a little more expensive but I felt my car was much safer there than in a city parking lot.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Bangor, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We've stayed in most of the downtown Richmond hotels. The Omni has by far the best location for walking and eating out. Restaurants, a genuine book store, and the pleasant streets of Shockoe Slip are literally out the front door of the hotel. If you don't want to do valet parking, there's a municipal lot right across the street that's very reasonable on weekends. The hotel was clean and had a Starbucks in the lobby. Our only disappointment was having to pay $10 for internet access. In this day and age, wireless should be free.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Richmond, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Thank you for reviewing the Omni Richmond. We are thrilled that our hotel stands out among the other downtown hotels you've experienced. We do apologize if the information regarding our Select Guest Program was not shared with you while on property. This value packed program is open to all guests at no charge and includes complimentary wireless in your guest room among its many perks. If you return to our hotel or any other Omni Hotel we would encourage you to sign up. We are grateful for the opportunity to read about your stay and hope to have you as our guest again soon.
St. Michaels
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Recently I had my second stay in this hotel. During the first stay, there were no problems. However this time, I did encounter some at check-in. I had checked-in via my email prior to my departure. A very good and handy benefit. When I arrived, I just picked-up my key. However, I did have problems on arrival with valet parking. First, I tried to pull into the area and one man was wandering around in front of my car, paying no attention. Finally another staff attendant pulled him out of the way. Unfortunately, he was the valet assistant to help me with my car. He took my luggage just inside the front door and dropped it. A staff member was standing there in a suit, some sort of supervisor but made no move to help me much less to greet me. I asked for directions to check-in. My key was handed to me but no service appeared to help me with my luggage or to my room. I made my way up and tried to open the door without success. I was using the directions on the back of the key card which I learned, did not apply to this hotel. I called the desk and an attendant came promptly and let me in. I asked about a receipt for my car, but he knew nothing. He then asked, while I was calling the front desk, if I would like him to bring my bags into the room. The desk told me not to worry about the lack of a car receipt as she would give me the number. I said that was not satisfactory but she did not seem to understand. I then asked the staff member present to get this for me. After awhile, when he did not return, I went to the front desk. The same man went to the valet stand. He took about ten minutes to return with a receipt. The room was comfortable, clean, and spacy. The next morning I had guests arrive for breakfast. We were seated and the server was really too attentive. However, the table cloth was covered in crumbs and my knife had been used before. We received our carafe of coffee which was cold. We asked that it be replaced and I received a fresh cup with lipstick stains. I then went to an empty table in order to get a fresh cup. The first one I picked-up had coffee stains. This was resolved. On check-out, all services were superb. The valet people were prompt and courteous. Overall, a nice hotel in a central location in downtown. However, these two lapses were concerning.

Room Tip: There are frequent conventions here. Ask in advance for a room away from that. I was there during...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Richmond, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
We are grateful for your feedback and apologize that your most recent experience fell short of your expectations and our own. Please know that we understand how frustrating your interactions with valet, the front desk, and in our restaurant must have been and we assure you that we will be researching what may have happened. Guest feedback is useful to us as we evaluate how we can improve and we are thankful that you took the time to share your comments. We hope you will give us another opportunity in the future to provide you with the great stay that you deserve.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

This well run hotel on the edge of the historic old Richmond district is a great option for business or family visits. Easy walk to the downtown restaurants, and only a short hike up to the library of Virginia and capitol.

Room Tip: Tobacco Company across the street is definitely worth a try, food was delicious
Richmond, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

The lights and tv came on by themselves...felt like the room was haunted. The conference food was not good at all. Also, the restaurant forgot about our lunch order. The hotel location and parking were great.

OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Richmond, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Please accept our apologies for your less than stellar and unusual experience at our hotel. Feedback such as yours helps us to understand how we can improve and all of your comments will be shared with the appropriate managers. Thank you for writing a review and we hope for a future opportunity to welcome you back.
Boones Mill, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

Great place to stay, very nice hotel. Room was very nice and clean. Bed was very nice. Online Check Inn and Express Check Out was very easy. Good location. Easy walk to lots of great places to eat. Tobacco Company is right beside the hotel and the Capital Ale House is a short walk.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

The Omni Richmond consistently provides a warm, welcoming guest experience. From the time you walk in the door of the hotel to the time you leave, be prepared to enjoy the service! The rooms are impeccable, and the beds provide a great place to enjoy a deep comfortable sleep. Proximity to a host of local restaurants is great. We enjoyed Kitchen on Cary a local farm to table restaurant during our stay. It was an easy two block walk. Can't wait to return to the Omni Richmond!

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Been to Omni Richmond? Share your experiences!