“Nice, large room - great for overnight stay” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #36 of 82 hotels in Richmond
New York City, New York
“Nice, large room - great for overnight stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

This Courtyard hotel is what you'd expect, which is comforting when in the middle of a series of long drive days. It's on the side of busy roadway, but offers easy access to the highways, and noise is not a problem. The front desk staff was very friendly upon check in and check out. The room was very large, and very comfortable, with an updated and clean bathroom. There was a side table with a lit up makeup mirror in the bathroom, too. All in all, a very pleasant experience. Nothing luxury, but perfect for two people wanting to find something comfortable while passing through a new city.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the courtyard and pool area.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

101 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
williamsburg,virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

I expect more from a Marriott. We called several times before our day of arrival and on our day of arrival to confirm that we had adjoining rooms for parents and children. Ahead of the arrival day, we are not guaranteed anything---this is normal. But, we still kept it on their radar. They told us (as most hotels do) that we should call the day of arrival and inform housekeping so that the rooms can be ready and that we are given the adjoining rooms. We called three times and each time we were told that we get the adjoining rooms, but only after we were told that they had no record of us requesting adjoining rooms. They obviously don't take requests or guests seriously.
Second, on the second night, there were several ants on the side table of my children's bed and on their pillows and in their beds. I killed about 10. It was very late at night and we wouldn't be able to change rooms at this time. We looked everywhere for the source of the ants. We finally found about 8 very dried blueberries under the curtain. These had been there for a long time and were attracting the ants. Does anyone vaccuum here???
Third, my husband just killed a nickel-sized spider in the bathroom right near my daughter's foot as she was going to the bathroom.
Fourth, for over a day, we passed a broken beer bottle on the path between our room and the main lobby on the outside path near the courtyard pool. When we saw it again in the evening, I told the front desk personnel about it. I find it hard to believe that we were the only people who saw it there over a 24 hour period. Maybe they are short-staffed?
I expect more cleanliness from a Marriott.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
New England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

We were very disappointed with our stay at this Courtyard. It needs serious updating. Our clothes rack fell down, the walls were dirty and there was a funny smell in the room. Also, we had to ask for our room to be serviced. Of all of the Mariotts that we have stayed in recently this one was way below average

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Victoria, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

Hotel is in the middle of a string of strip shopping centers and old office parks. Not an attractive place but functional. I've gotten used to it for business travels but would pick someplace else if with a family.

The staff is ok but not particularly focused on the whole customer experience. The evening of January 9th there was a woman at the one computer station doing some sort of project for work. She was there most of the evening with papers spread out and no one else could use the computer. I wanted to print a boarding pass but of course couldnt.

Room Tip: The rooms are quite a hike from the front desk, like almost in another zip code. Ask for rooms endin...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Newnan, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

Overall, I find the Marriott options limited when in Richmond for business so have ended up staying at the Courtyard near my project site for my weekly trips during the lat 6 weeks. It's an older style Courtyard but the rooms have been generally redone in the past 3 to 5 years.

I have found the front desk staff to be friendly and as a Plat Premier have been upgraded to a one bedroom suite all but one of by stays even though I was getting the government rate.

I do hope that they convert to the Bistro style soon since I am very tired of the old Courtyard breakfast model.

So overall, average to sligthly above average and if you go out of your way to stay at Marriotts, it works well. If you are hotel brand agnostic, hard not to fairly new Westin close by.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
upstate ny
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

We have stayed a Courtyard Marriot Hotels before and thought they were really fine, but this one was different. The staff at the front desk were dressed in very casual clothes and not very attentive to us. We stood at the counter for a few minutes, politely waiting, until one of the staff finally look up from the computers and asked if we needed anything. The rugs in the hallways and room needed cleaning, as well as the wood around the door knobs and elevator pad. It was visibly dirty. Our room was tidy, but not clean. The counters and table tops had not been wiped down, there were hairs and what looked like tooth paste on the shower walls, and it was very musty. The towels smelled musty too. We let the staff know and they did not seem concerned in front of us. We were given another room, but it was not much better. We always try to look for the positive in places, but here, we just were not pleased. It did make us consider staying in our car for the night, but we didn't.

Room Tip: Please pick another hotel. This is not a place we have stayed before and would not recommend it.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Harrisonburg, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

My daughter and I stayed here while in town to attend a comedy show. We arrived late on a Friday afternoon and I had actually used rewards points to cover the cost of this stay. I have Elite member status but no special recognition was given to me at arrival and there was no overview of amenities and services offered at the hotel. We were very surprised when we noticed a sign on the way to our room that said breakfast was $9.99/guest. I couldn't believe it since there is a Denny's restaurant practically next door to this hotel. Our room was large and clean and considering how chilly the day was, we were pleasantly surprised to come into a room that was not freezing but actually had a comfortable temperature setting. We were here only briefly after check-in and headed on out to get to the show. We got back late and crashed or attempted to until our noisy neighbors arrived and decided to hold a loud conversation in the hallway before finally retiring to their rooms. We were too tired to even call the front desk and just waited them out. The next morning, we had no plans so we thought we would sleep in a little (check-out is at noon). We had just started to stir when at 9:30 a.m. housekeeping knocked on the door. I answered in my pj's and let them know that it would be a little while before we were ready to check-out but of course, this made us feel rushed and we hurried to get dressed after that. I stepped into the bathroom first and noticed water on the floor. There was a leak in the valve behind the commode--there was a visible crack in the hardware but water was dripping out so slowly that it must have taken all night to make the puddle on the floor but at that point, we didn't even call about this issue. We just got dressed and told them at the desk when we checked out. Can't believe we were the first to notice this.

The accomodations were nice, the rooms were large and I have no complaints about the condition of the hotel. Staff was not rude but not overly friendly either and their indifference also makes me indifferent about whether I will return to this hotel or not.

We were excited to find the Krispy Kreme shop not far away and we stopped at Burlington Coat Factory across the street before heading home. The hotel was close to Carytown which is where the show we attended was held so there were a few pluses to staying here.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor and that may be why our late arriving neighbors were so loud. We also ha...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Richmond West? Share your experiences!