“Never again” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #62 of 80 hotels in Richmond
Palatine Bridge, New York
“Never again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I travel a fair amount and am aware of the many things that can go wrong with a hotel (maid with a bad day, a well-weathered room, etc.) Stayed here based on the generally positive reviews - big mistake. First, room quality was fair at best. The "renovated" bathroom was also fair - the walls were literally waved from having once been very wet. Cleanliness was poor - I'm looking at some grunge on the wall by the desk, blankets were disgusting (we put them on the floor and slept with the sheets alone). But the biggest issue was a 12:15 a.m. phone call telling me they had trouble with my credit card. The clerk had failed to run the card when we checked in at 6 p.m. and when the night clerk tried to run the card in the middle of the night. (Turns out my bank was doing a system update and the account was temporarily offline.) Fearing I might skip off without paying, the clerk made me get dressed, walk to the front desk, and provide a different card. I had almost drifted off to sleep again and the door next door slams repeatedly with someone just arriving. This hotel is nearly empty and you put a guest next door to another room at 12:45 a.m.? I have never given a hotel a "one," but here's a first.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

14 people have reviewed this hotel

Lorimack21
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

This hotel was very clean, so clean to the point that I had to keep my front door open for a little while to let the smell of pinesol out of the room. The location was good, the front staff was very helpful as well. The bed was not soft, the mattress was very thin. Overall this was an OK stay.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Buffalo, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

I highly suggest you not choose this hotel. It is, in a word, dirty. There are cigarette burns in the sandpaper blanket and sheets. There was blood on the box spring cover. There was a dead centipede behind the toilet. The switchplates and door jambs hadn't been wiped in ages. There was also 8 complaints of insects in the beds on my day of checkout. The front desk tried very hard to be accomodating and I give them my kudos. At the time of our visit we were there with a large group to attend an athletic tournament and the other guests had similar complaints of filth. One had to be moved due to the insects in her room. The pool area is nice to sit by and unwind but you can find a pool at a much cleaner hotel. Really consider spending an extra 20 dollars if you can.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2011 via mobile

This Hotel is not your typical Econo Lodge. The rooms are renovated and very clean. Great value for the price. Highly reccommended hotel

• Stayed February 2011
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2009

This is a nice hotel. Good rates. Will definitely stay here again. Crystal at the front desk is great! Nice clean rooms

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Baltimore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2008

We had tickets to the Nascar race and the Econo Lodge on Broad Street is only about 13 minutes from the track. We've stayed at Econo Lodges - this was just as expected. Pleasant stay. Room clean, breakfast was great (and free). The only thing was we asked for more pillows when we checked in and the desk clerk said they were out. Three wimpy pillows on a king size bed just don't cut it for people with back problems. It wasn't a pleasant sleeping experience at all. We often bring a pillow or two from home and we just forgot. But overlooking that, we enjoyed our stay and don't have any complaints.

• Liked — quick access to race track
  • Disliked — terrible pillows on bed!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hebron, MD
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2008

Made reservations on-line 18 days before arrival date. Received 2 confirming e-mails. Upon arrival at the hotel, clerk did not have our reservation. They were not busy. I asked for a room anyway, assuming they would honor the reservation. I gave her ID and credit card which were photocopied. After processing my credit card and typing info into their computer she told me they would not honor the reservation rate. The new rate was $50 more and because I had an unusual sounding/spelled name (I'm Swedish!) I had to produce ID's for my wife and kids, who were still in the car. When I refused, she offered me a room for less but only if I paid her cash "on the side!" I then knew she was scamming me. I requested to speak to the manager. She gave me his business card and said he was not on the property. I asked for the phone number to call to cancel my reservation. She gave me a 800 number to call for a phone sex company. When I complained about the 800 number she gave me, she just giggled! I finally found the correct 800 number in my reservations paperwork. I called to cancel my reservation, to make sure I wasn't billed for a room and to complain. They canceled my reservation and the room charge, but complaint department was closed. I called Monday and filed formal complaint with Choice Hotels. They were very professional and apologized in writing. I complained to property manager via phone and in writing with no response. I would recommend staying at the Quality Inn West End just down the street. It a much nicer hotel!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Clerk at check-in
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Econo Lodge-Broad St? Share your experiences!