“Good nights sleep” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn North

Quality Inn North
You added Quality Inn North to your Saves list
Quality Inn North
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   801 East Parham Road, Richmond, VA 23227 (Formerly Clarion Inn North)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #63 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
england
“Good nights sleep”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

The bed was comfy so I slept well. The hotel is dated, there is a pervading smoke like odour, the room was not the cleanest. Breakfast was basic – cornflakes, waffles and toast. Can't complain given the price but not sure how this warrants 3 stars.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I wanted to rebut some of the previous negative reviews. I felt that this hotel is very nice and a great value as well. I found my room to be clean, in addition to the common areas being kept up nicely as well. The grounds were nice and neat. I didn't see any trash anywhere. I felt very comfortable for my 2 night stay.

This property is also conveniently located near the freeway, but I didn't here any road noise. Since Starbucks was only a few minutes walk, it was nice to get my morning coffee so easily. Also there is a great diner next door, River City Diner, that has great food, and this really cool 50's decor.

The improvements by the new manager, Mr. Eric, are definitely noticeable based on previous reviews. If I'm ever back in Richmond, I'll be staying here.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
eric p, General Manager at Quality Inn North, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Many times in the service industry you don't get to hear the compliments, so we appreciate those comments as well as the candid comments that will help us improve. We hope to see you again.
Reisterstown, Maryland, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I have used the Choice Rewards program several times, and have stayed at the Clarion in Richmond Va several times as well. This time however the stay was anything but enjoyable. Let me give you the list for room number 219.

Electric socket hanging out of the wall
Stains on the carpet
Mirror cracked
Sleep timer on TV does not work
Exit sign in hallway hanging down from the ceiling
No housekeeping done on the second night of our stay

I will be coming to Richmond twice more in the coming months for three nights stays, but I do i think I will be useing a different rewards service, and hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
eric p, General Manager at Quality Inn North, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Thank for your candid response. I am the new manager at this property, and I understand your concerns and I have scrutinized this property for improvements that need to be made. I am working diligently to make this a preimum hotel to stay in the Richmond area. We thank you for being a Choice Privilege member. Once we restore the pride in this property again, I ask that you give us another opportunity to make your stay at he Clarion Inn North an enjoyable one.
Rowlett, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

From the outside, this hotel looks like a reasonably upgraded older facility, in the two story style that was prevalent in the 1960's. But from the inside, this is a very nice, very comfortable hotel, and it comes at a surprising price.

The hotel is a bit tricky to get to ... exit I-95 at Parham Road, and as you head west, you'll see the River City Diner to your left. The hotel is tucked away behind the diner. You can make a left turn at the first light, go up a block, and work your way back in front of the diner. Go past the diner, and the hotel entrance will be immediately to your right. Don't feel bad if you miss it. It took me a try or two to get the hang of it.

Anyway ... check in was efficient and handled by a pleasant, helpful person. My room was spotlessly clean, tastefully furnished, and of ample size. The bathroom was nicely upgraded, with a few toiletry amenities, and nice, fluffy tiles. The bed was very comfortable and I was able to sleep well.

There was no work desk, but there was an amply sized table with two chairs that could be used as a good work space or as a table for relaxing or playing cards. The room also had a coffee maker, microwave, and small fridge.

Room access was via interior corridor, not from the outside.

When I went to check out, my receipt had already been printed, so I was quickly on my way.

What surprised me the most was the price. There are a variety of discounts available at the brand website and at www.choicehotels.com (senior, AAA, and such), and, if booked in advance, as I did, there's a pre-paid discount which brought the base cost for the room down to $47.99. That's in the same price range of many of the lower tier hotels and a very good deal for this area.

Although the hotel was adjacent to I-95, I did not hear any highway noise in the room, which was another nice surprise as well.

Overall - excellent choice, great price, good service. I would return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

This place is an old, outdated, completely 'band-aid on an open wound' motel style place and isn't even worth staying for one night. Husband and I stayed one night and will never stay again. We booked 2 days in advance and requested a king size non-smoking. We arrived very late (after 8 pm, which we informed them). The front desk personnel were standing outside the front doors smoking (not a good first impression). She was pleasant enough and informed us the restaurant attached to the hotel gave guests a 10% discount on any meal and the 'peanut-butter milkshake was to die for'. We entered the room and it was a time capsule from the early 70s. The bathroom door was stuck and would not open. Something on the inside was blocking it. Front desk came to inspect, she didn't know what the problem was so she moved us to a different room. She said it was one of their 'executive suites' so it was an upgrade, even though it was nearly the exact room except it had an executive leather chair at the desk instead of a normal chair. A/C was nearly non-existent. Complementary breakfast was a joke. Milk for the cereal had been sitting out and was warm. One choice of cereal although the setup was for 3 types. Bread was stale and juice was room temperature. The breakfast was set up in the 'ballroom'. Don't bother staying here. All this on top of the cigarette smoke smell which permeated the entire building. Yuck. The only thing going for this place is the location which is right off the highway and that is if you are strictly driving through.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
eric p, Manager at Quality Inn North, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
We thank you for first for choosing us and for your honest review. We now have a new manager to help us address the issues which you mentioned. We are looking forward to the changes that are being made so we can move forward to satisfy future guests.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

hotel room was over-priced. had issues with bathroom tub with peeling laminate off tub and sink refusing to drain. advised staff but nothing was done to make my stay better. find another motel if staying in richmond, virginia.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
eric p, General Manager at Quality Inn North, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
We apologize for the problems that you experienced during your stay. As a new manager at this property, I am implementing new customer response procedures to make situations like this better for the next guest. Thank you for your honest response.
Berkeley, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

We needed a hotel to stay for a baseball tournament so we booked several rooms here because it was the best "deal" for a decent hotel. So far all Clarions I've been to have been enjoyable, this place is NOT. I don't know where to begin...the hallways are not air conditioned so going to your room it's hot on hot days and the hallways smell, out of the 6 nights we stayed here our room was cleaned only 2 times! even though I requested it to be cleaned everyday, asking for fresh towels- we got attitude, mildew on the shower tiles and shower curtain - asked for a new one - it also had mildew, the pool is a dirty disgusting joke, our lock on the door broke and they couldn't fix it, the bed was uncomfortable and I woke up with the worst crink in my neck I've ever had, I didn't touch the so-called continental disgusting breakfast-it's pathetic, and to top it off - COCKROACHES in the hallway and our bathroom!

This place is disgusting and the manager told me that I harrassed them by asking them to clean my room! The only reason I stayed here more than one day was to keep the team together because one chaperone enjoyed the attached diner and didn't want to pack everything up and go - and the diner is really good - but try the diner and not this disgusting so-called hotel!!!!!! The Bestwern Western not far from here had similar rates and way better reviews and would have had my money if not for the chaperone...

DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE!

Pics I took to follow...

Room Tip: Pick another place! Don't stay here
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank for staying with us and I apologize the problems you encountered. It seems like the location was good for you; however, there were quite a bit of issues. I would feel the same way if I had to endure the same situations. As the new manager of this property, I understand the current housekeeping issues, which are being addressed. Our pride & attitude toward satisfying guests is being overhauled, which will be displayed in the cleanliness of our rooms, bathrooms, hallways, breakfast area, banquet facility, and how quickly & efficiently we respond to future guests. I know 1st impressions last a lifetime, but I hope that our paths cross again so you can see the changes.

Been to Quality Inn North? Share your experiences!