“Exactly what we needed” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 81 hotels in Richmond
Toronto
“Exactly what we needed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

On a recent roadtrip from Toronto to Florida we decided to make an overnight stop just south of Richmond. There were several hotels/motels at the exit we chose and stopped at each to check the pricing. Surprisingly, the nicest looking property also had the best rate. We were checked in quickly and given our room. Everything was clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. Perfect stop for road weary travelers.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
hibells, Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond South-Bells Road, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear TOgirl47,

Thank you very much for the comments you have posted. Service is very important to us, and we will continue to accommodate our guests the best we can. We look forward to seeing you again in the Richmond area.

Ismaray Jones, CRDE
Holiday Inn South, Richmond VA.

130 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Haddonfield, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed here for one night in December 2012. While we did request and receive a pet-friendly room, we were surprised at how dirty and un-kept the room was even though it was pet-friendly. We have stayed at many other pet-friendly hotels where you would not even know a pet had been in the room. When we arrived, we found hair - human and pet - all over both of the double beds. We called housekeeping to change the bedding. However, they only brought linens to change one bed. The gentleman who changed the bed was unapologetic, unfriendly, and rude. The hotel room, which boats a reno in 2010, had disgustingly dirty carpets. When the changed linens revealed more hair, we realized that the housekeepers were throwing the bedding on the floor while changing the beds. However, the carpets had not been cleaned properly, which seemed to be the reason for the hair. Through the night, we heard everything in the hallways and room next door. It was almost like there was not enough sound-proofing and insulation. Finally, to add insult to injury after a very loud and unrestful night, the maid woke us up at 7:30 a.m. banging on our door. When we answered she asked if we were checking out soon. Seriously, I have never, ever been woken by housekeeping before a reasonable hour and never on a day where you are expected to check out. It was just a terrible stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Ismaray J, Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond South-Bells Road, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear JenniferZ24601,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that your experience at the Holiday Inn Richmond-South fell short. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you, at your convenience, so I can address the specifics of your stay. I can be reached at 804-592-2900 ext 611. We value all comments so that we may continually improve guest experience, and I sincerely apologize for your inconvenience. We pride ourselves in having clean rooms and I will personally investigate who contributed to your negative experience.

Respectfully,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in a room with a kingsize bed. You can park round the back close to your room- very convenient. The room was clean and spacious, it had a fridge and a microwave. The sheets were really soft and you have a choice of soft or firm pillows. The staff were really friendly and courteous.

• Stayed December 2012
hibells, Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond South-Bells Road, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Good afternoon Georgiaflood!

First, I would like to apologize that we did not respond earlier to your posting on tripadvisor,
12-28-12. Normally we reply within just a week or so. Thank you for taking your valuable time to
post your kind comments. Please keep us in mind the next time you are in our area.

Warmest regards,
Management team
Virginia, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

This hotel was a pleasant surprise in the industrial south side of Richmond. The staff was professional, the room was great - nice beds and room was quiet. Probably the only downside was that the hotel does not do a complimentary breakfast and we had to swing by McDonald's to get a fast breakfast before our daughter's early lacrosse tournament. A suggestion to the hotel is to either provide a complimentary breakfast or to have an option for a "brown bag" breakfast for travelers who have early schedules.

Room Tip: We had a room in the back and it was very quiet
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Ismaray J, Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond South-Bells Road, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
The entire team here at the new Holiday Inn South - Bells Road was thrilled to read your review! Thank you so much for taking the time to post your thoughts. We hope you'll stay with us again on your next trip to Richmond! I have passed along the "to go bags" request.

Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This stay was not as pleasant as other stays at this hotel. The room (4th floor handicap) was not as clean (bathroom). The bed was not as comfortable-it was missing the mattress cover. When I rolled to the edge I could feel the mattress ribbing.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Ismaray J, Manager at Holiday Inn Richmond South-Bells Road, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Lawssm,

Thank you for bringing these concerns to our attention. I am deeply sorry that you had such an uncomfortable experience with us. We are addressing this matter with our Executive Housekeeper and can ensure that all missing mattress pads have been replaced.
Thank you again and I hope that you do return as a valued guest.

Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I stayed at this hotel two weekends ago for a weekend getaway with my boyfriend, and it was the perfect spot! I was a bit nervous at first about the location (lots of industrial parks around), but it ended up being easily accessible from the highway and just outside of Richmond.

I originally picked this hotel because it was pet-friendly. Usually, pet-friendly hotels are older or in need of renovations (which is why they still allo pets), but not in this case! Our room had a completely new bathroom...new tub/shower (with great water pressure!), new tiled floor, and a nice granite (or solid surface...couldn't even tell!) countertop. In the living area, the beds had nice new linens, lots of pillows of all different sizes and firmness, and a nice modern style spread. The room had a new flat-screen TV, a new mini-fridge, and a microwave.

We also ordered room service, which was delicious! The food came quickly and was nice and hot. We ordered burgers, which were cooked perfectly! The front desk staff was friendly and very helpful.

All in all, this was a great hotel!

Room Tip: Corner rooms are quiet and have stairwells that bring you directly to first floor (and right out to...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Robinaree:

I am delighted that you had such a pleasant experience with us! I am happy to hear that the front office staff was welcoming and that your room service order was right on! Thank you for your candid comments.
We hope to see you and your boyfriend again!

Warmest Regards,

Long Island, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I really wanted to like this hotel. The family and I booked it on Priceline while traveling back to NY from FL. The location was great- right off of I-95 and easy to find. The lobby was a little crowded, even after 10 pm, due to a bar next door. Luckily, most of the rooms seemed to be on the opposite side from the bar.

The girl at the front desk was incredibly nice, and switched us from a smoking to non-smoking room without any trouble since the booking hadn't specified. The building seemed clean and nice- we were directed to park on the side of the building, near to where our room was.

The rooms were very nice- large, with comfortable beds. Our room was clean and they immediately brought us up a portable crib (nicer than the standard pack and play unit) since I'd mentioned that we had a sleepy baby. We thought we were well set for a comfortable evening, but that's when things went downhill.

The hallway started to stink of marijuana smoke, which slowly seeped into our room as the night progressed. At one point, I went to get some ice, and immediately found the offending room, with smoke seeping under their door and loud music playing. The ice machine was empty, so I had to trek to another floor. I was really hoping that they may stop the activity, but the room was reeking of smoke by the middle of the night, which made it uncomfortable for me. I was tempted to call hotel security, but wasn't sure what they could do in this kind of situation.

I'm not lambasting the rating here, because without the bad guests, I think this would have been a fine place to stay, but I am lowering the rating to some extent because I think that if they had any kind of security at all in the hotel, they should have noticed this problem which was stinking up half the floor we were on.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Good afternoon loyal guest,

I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. We are very pleased to hear that our Front Office clerk was accommodating, that makes me really happy. Thank you for your comments and we are in the process of investigating the situation you encountered.

Thank you again.

Assistant General Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Richmond South-Bells Road? Share your experiences!