“No wake up call” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Englewood
“No wake up call”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2009

I normally love Embassy Suites for the rooms, the comfort and the breakfast and evening cocktail hour. I was given a first floor room (not a good idea for a woman traveling alone) and a handicap shower. I asked to moved and they accommodated my request immediately. They did however forget to change my wake up call. The bed is uber comfortable and I awoke at 7:38 without my call. I had exactly 6 minutes to shower and get a ride to my meeting. I travel weekly and this has never happened (I am so paranoid about it that I always leave two calls). I arrived back at the hotel to find a personal note from the manager and a box of chocolates. I must say I appreciated the gesture.

I met a guest and took her to happy hour. We arrived a bit early and the officious manager informed us that they were not open. We asked if we could sit and munch on the appetizers and he said it was OK. A half an hour later he asked for my room card. I showed it to him and he said that it was only for one. I said that I had a guest and he said we had to leave immediately because their liquor laws did not allow it. We said no worries, we wouldn't drink we just wanted to continue meeting and he said that we had to leave. I was embarrassed in front of my business associate and we left. Now mind you I had missed happy hour the night before and breakfast that day. Was this really necessary? There were only two other guests in the area.

Here is the irony, I picked Embassy Suites because I liked the product and price, even though the location was far from my meeting. I didn't get to use the amenities and was treated disrespectfully by the bar manager. I hope to travel to Richmond again for travel, Embassy Suites will not be the hotel where I stay.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2009

We have stayed at several Embassy Suites on this trip. This one has the most lush lobby area. The hotel is very convenient to downtown, straight up/down Broad Street and has lots of parking. I was surprised and pleased by the free internet; the other Embassy Suites charged a daily fee. The suite was large and comfortable except for the bathroom which is so tiny that the hotel put a second sink and dressing area in the bedroom which has a juliet balcony, a nice touch. We fought our way through the crowds the first morning for breakfast. Lots of staff but they couldn't keep up. The buffet was pretty well picked over and what is the excuse for one slow toaster to serve everyone? The second morning we went around the corner to Bob Evans.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
blandford dorset uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2009

I stayed here for 2 nights with wife and 20 yr old daughter.The room was very comfortable, well equipped(free wi fi) and clean.Breakfast was very good,and the manager's nightly reception (free drinks and snacks)almost too good to be true. Staff were good too, especially on the desk.Ample car parking and a decent selection of restaurants nearby.Only hitch is tht if you are sleeping in the living room on the sofa bed, the noise of the staff preparing for breakfast can be amplified.But don' t let that put you off what is a very good and decent value choice (our room was a special internet unchangeable booking,$161 per night.).
i would also like to say that I have never been so relieved to arrive at a hotel as the last 45 mins of the drive there for us Brits was in a snowstorm that hit Richmond.As the visibilty became less and less,and the lane markings disappeared ,I gripped the steering wheel and relied on my rental Chevrolet Impala and its sat nav.We got there , to be greeted by the warm hospitality of the embassy suites.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for one night for a business meeting that took place in an executive meeting room at the back of the hotel. The lobby area is like a jungle, with waterfalls and tropical plants everywhere. The room was extremely clean, and the bed was super comfortable. I don't know why some reviewers had trouble with the breakfast, which was bountiful (omelets to order, pastry area, tons of fresh fruit, bagels, scrambled eggs, bacon, hash browns, plenty of fruit juice and coffee, etc.--like most other Embassy Suites). The food for the business meeting was terrific; the catered lunch was superb, and there was a constant stock of candy, muffins, sodas, coffee, fruit, etc., outside the room. My one reservation was that the bar allowed smoking, and the non-smoking area within it is not really a non-smoking area as far as passive smoke is concerned. This is obviously a Virginia thing (the state should get with it and ban smoking in all public places, but in the meantime maybe the hotel could do something more about it). Definitely a good place to stay, though, but beware that the cab from the airport is $40-50 (I rended a car for one night and it was less than round-trip for the cab). The hotel has free parking but no shuttle to the airport.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2008

We and about 20 other family members stayed here over the weekend to attend a cousin's wedding.

Embassy Suites are always a safe bet, and this one is no different. The breakfast was excellent (omlette station, fresh fruit, pastries, etc.) and the managers special (free drinks and snacks) was better than at some other embassy suites.

The rooms were clean and comfortable. As one other reviewer has mentioned, if you want a bathtub, you need a room with two double beds; the rooms with a king bed only have a shower.

My only critique is that the lobby in this particular Embassy Suites is not suitable for large groups to gather, so our family members had to split into groups, but it worked out fine.

• Liked — Free wireless internet in all rooms and throughout the rest of the hotel
  • Disliked — lobby is small for a hotel of this size
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Old Bridge, NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2008

Average Embassy suite room but the breakfast was terrible. I took the family there on a commute on the way to Myrtle Beach. I typically chose Embassy Suites for the spacious room(s) and the breakfast. The room were good but the breakfast as compared to other Embassy Suite's was below par. This was the first were they limited the breakfast meats and in doing so the meat was hard and over done.

• Stayed August 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2008

We have stayed at many Embassy Suites this summer some disappointing, but this one did not let us down. It was typical of an atrium style Embassy Suites with rooms recently updated, but the thing that really made this property stand out was the staff. The manager's reception had more food choices than most, and the bartender and host were friendly and efficient.

We were impressed with the breakfast at this location, the food was excellent, there were alot more choices and there were clean tables to sit at !!!!! They also picked up your dirty dishes when you were finished. They seem to know how many staff members they need to run the place and they are there doing it right. No problems at this location!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Embassy Suites Richmond - The Commerce Center? Share your experiences!