“Friendly Staff and enjoyable stay.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
2X HHonors Points
Ranked #8 of 81 hotels in Richmond
Creedmoor, North Carolina, United States
“Friendly Staff and enjoyable stay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stayed one night for a wedding and was overall impressed with the hotel. The lobby and eating area was beautiful. The Suite was huge, clean, and felt like home. They had a huge breakfast spread w/ lots of fruit and hot breakfast items.

Room Tip: Don't get a room near the elevator. I stayed in 628 and that is in front of the elevator waitin...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
ESHRichmond, General Manager at Embassy Suites Richmond - The Commerce Center, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Valued Guest, We are glad you enjoyed our cooked to order breakfast and our large suites! We hope to see you again if you return to Richmond. Kind Regards, Kathleen Lyons, General Manager

430 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I spend a lot of time on the road and when I am in the Richmond Area this is the Embassy Hotel to stay at. Why? Not because its the newest hotel around, but rather its a well maintained hotel with an experienced staff, that runs this hotel well. The surrounding area has plenty of choices for eating out, running a quick errand and its very close to the interstate and downtown Richmond without the issues with parking in a city center. Overall a good choice if you like the Embassy brand of hotels.

Room Tip: Business Travelers may want to go to a higher floor. Its a large hotel and can get quite busy. The h...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
ESHRichmond, General Manager at Embassy Suites Richmond - The Commerce Center, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for choosing to return to the Embassy Suites Richmond when in Richmond. I look forward to sharing your comments with our dedicated team. We hope to see you again soon and thank you for your loyalty to Hilton’s Embassy Brand! Best Regards, Kathleen Lyons, General Manager
Office
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I were attending a conference in Richmond and choose the Richmond Embassy Suites for our stay. Our three night stay began with an effortless check in with a a front desk clerk who was very informative. Our room was very nice, clean with a very comfortable bed. The bathroom, while small had everything you could want including your own hair dryer. The evening Manager's reception was nice and the Breakfast was very good. This hotel is an older Embassy Suites property which could use an updating on the furniture in the suites. The staff was very nice and very helpful. All in all, this was a very good stay at the Embassy Suites Richmond.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest, thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are pleased you enjoyed our Cooked-to-Order Breakfast and our Nightly Manager’s Reception. Also, thank you for your kind words about our staff. We hope you will visit us again if you return to Richmond. Best Regards, Kathleen Lyons, General Manager
frankinton, nc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Very nice accomodations but pricey. Breakfast was very good with many choices. Desk personnel very nice and fast. Large TV's in both rooms. Quiet and comfortable facilities. Good parkins near several exits. Atrium pretty and tranquil nice to walk around. Yes we would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for your thoughts and comments on your experience at the Embassy Suites Richmond. We are pleased you enjoyed our cooked to order breakfast and large suites and we appreciate your kind words about our staff. We also hope continue to earn your business in the future when you are looking for a hotel in Richmond. Best Regards, Kathleen Lyons, General Manager
Mendham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stayed here last week , as a stop-over on our drive down to South Carolina on I-95 with two teenagers. I had stayed here previously , when touring University of Richmond. The location was convenient, and the room was very comfortable. The mattresses were nice and firm and everything was quite clean. Breakfast was very good and so quick and easy before our long drive the next day. I also like that there were a couple of restaurants within walking distance. It was snowing and I did not want to drive any further that evening. They were Fridays and Famous Daves - nothing fancy, but good enough for some tired travelers.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. The Embassy Suites Richmond is a very convenient stop if you are traveling on I-95 or I-64. We hope to see you again! Warm Regards, Kathleen Lyons, Embassy Suites Richmond
Milford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Our family of 4 had an excellent time at this hotel!! From the time we walked in we were pleasantly pleased!! Every worker we encountered during our stay were very polite and eager to please!! The hotel was very clean as well as our room. The room was more then big enough for our family of 4 and we loved how you could close the door between the sitting area and bedroom as not to hear 2 TVs going at once!! The bathroom is quite small but its not like you spend much time in there anyway!! The kids loved the pool and I loved the Jacuzzi!! The complimentary breakfast was good...the omelets were great...we went down early both days and never had to wait!! I cant comment on the managers reception as we were always out and about at the time it was held. It is very easy to get to off the highway and is within walking distance to many restaurants. I would definitely stay here again as well as recommend it to others!! Thank You for making our Easter weekend even better!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest, We treasure your recommendation at our Embassy Suites Richmond Hotel. We are thrilled to have won you over with the staff’s service, accommodations, and location. Thank you for your kind words and we hope to see you again and thank you for recommending us to others! Best Regards, Kathleen Lyons, General Manager
Steubenville, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

So I stay at a lot of hotels and maybe I'm a little more critical than the next traveller but a seriously folks, if this is the #9 hotel in Richmond, then Richmond has some real need for upscale hotels.

Let's start by acknowledging that Embassy Suites markets and caters to business travelers. Business travelers generally travel with more than a collection of blue jeans, shorts, and tee shirts. They travel with suits, dresses, etc. Often those items have been cleaned and pressed and need hanging space. The 2 room suite has a very small wardrobe to hang garments in. The wardrobe is so small I was unable to even hang all of my suits in the wardrobe and the items I did get in the wardrobe were so compacted, everything came out wrinkled and creased.

Like all Embassy Suites, the hotel offers a freshly cooked breakfast including made to order omelette's, usually a very nice amenity. Again, this property supposedly caters to business travelers. In the real world business begins at 5, 6, 7AM. The breakfast is not even scheduled to begin until 6:30. Please note I said SCHEDULED to begin. After several days at the property, I can tell you that 50-60% of the breakfast setup is complete by 6:30. One day, I was grabbing a cup of coffee as I was running late for the office at 6:35AM and I watched another guest waiting to order an omelette. He was told by the "chef" that it would be a few minutes. Realistically, you couldn't actually sit down and eat a made to order hot breakfast until 7:00AM most days. If I didn't have to be in the office by 6:45AM, that might work but as a real life business traveler, the "complimentary breakfast" is worthless at 7:00AM.

If you are not familiar with Embassy Suites, they are generally designed as a big open square. All of the rooms open on to a central atrium filled with trees, plants, etc. This atrium is where the breakfast and evening manager's reception are held. Because everything, including entrance to all rooms open to the atrium, all noise created in the hallways and atrium reverberate and echo. Normally with a business crowd, this is not a problem, a few plates clanging in the early morning and social chatter in the evenings. I've come to learn, completely different story Friday and Saturday nights. The "Business Traveler Hotel" becomes "Pre-Teen Soccer Team Central". Literally hundreds of teens and families invade the property running up and down the hallways, yelling, screaming, playing around, etc. Unfortunately the parents are no better. As a perfect example, after being started back to wide awake at the ripe old time 6:20AM Saturday morning, the one day of the week, I actually try to sleep in a bit, I cleaned up and went down to grab a bite of hot breakfast. As I was sitting there trying to eat in some sort of peace at 7:25AM, the soccer mom at the next table thought it best to communicate with her children hanging over the railing on the fourth floor by yelling across the atrium. While I had already had my counting sheep ended hours earlier, I'm quite certain that a guest or two found their slumber end precisely at that moment.

One last general note about the amenities, the hot breakfast I have been able to eat on the weekends was flavorful, fresh, and the staff pleasant. There is a decent variety. The pastries (donuts and Danish) leave something to be desired. They are a step below the mass produced boxed pastries you'll find at the grocery store, hard, not extremely fresh, you get the idea. Everything else works just watch the fresh bananas, many are over ripe. The evening manager's reception includes free "adult beverages" so of course, that works. The snacks are a little repetitive, dips ( some I couldn't even figure out what they were, some sort of cheese spreads), salsa, and crackers. They served some spicy seasoned peanuts one evening. It would have been nice if they labeled them. I thought they were BBQ Corn Nuts until the first small handful nearly heat peeled my taste buds from my tongue. I will undoubtedly ask first next time...

On to the room and the real reason I don't find this anywhere near a top rated property. With the exception of the undersized wardrobe, when first built, furnished, and maintained, this was a 3.5 to 4 star property. Note the caveat, "When First Built". The rooms are now tired, furnishings show considerable wear, maintenance and cleaning leave plenty to be desired. The first thing I saw when I entered the room was a small oval coffee table. As you can see by the photos, it is nicked, scratched, and chipped and this was a preview of what was to come.

The wet bar area which includes the sink, microwave, and mini fridge is past it's prime. The doors don't actually meet and close anymore, again see the pictures. The doors are marked up, cracking, and they overlap as the right door doesn't sit straight anymore. At some point in a previous life the property had to change to lighting as evidenced by an abandoned light switch that now has a mere cover plate. Now you see an aftermarket switch attached to the cabinet near the location of the prior switch. When you flip the switch two small round under cabinet puck lights illuminate. Unfortunately they also illuminate the exposed wires and connectors that also travel along the underside of the cabinetry. Just what I want to see, exposed wiring. As I begin to turn toward the restroom I am greater by the worn fraying carpet surrounding the tiles at the wet bar. See that picture as well.

On to the bath area. I won't call it a room because it's not. It is literally an area approx 4 x 4 with a miniature commode, retrofitted vanity, and shower stall. The commode is so small, the average adult will find it to be almost child size. After 30 seconds I figured out why the commode is so small. If it were any larger, the door would not be blue to open all the way. Literally, the door to the bath area opens and comes within 2 inches of hitting the front of the commode. When opened it does hit the edge of the shower stall. The vanity, while it matches most of the furnishing in the remainder of the room is also very dated, nicked, scratched, etc. it appears at one point in time, there were additional doors or decorations on the front of the vanity that has since been removed to created storage. That would be fine but the retrofit is horrible with exposed edges, and just looks bad. If you enter the area, move to the far right corner so you can actually close the door, you can see behind the door in the corner between the door frame and the shower. Undoubtedly, this is NEVER cleaned because the area is so small, the housekeeper can't get equipment in there and still close the door. Please see the picture and you will see why I say this is surely never cleaned. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

As I moved to the bedroom, I found the same nicks and scratches on the night stand and desk, see those pictures as well. No need to continue pointing out the poor condition of the furnishing. The best place that immediately appeared to plug in phone charger, etc was in a plug near the in room coffee pot. Too bad the plug was broken and when you went to push your plug in, it also moved inward so you were unable to use it. Of course, because it was moving, I'm not sure you would want to use it anyway for fear it would short out. The bed was a typical Hilton Sweet Dreams bed, I believe, which usually offer a comfortable sleep. I say I believe this was a Sweet Dreams bed at least at some point in its life. The bed, like the remainder of the furnishings has seen better years, unfortunately for me, I think those years were in the late 90's.

The last thing I wanted to mention was just a minor annoyance. I happen to be a Hilton Honors Diamond Member (top tier 60+ nights per year in a Hilton Property). Most Hilton properties, including this one, advertise special amenities to Diamond members. One such amenity is a special snack upon arrival. Some properties ask at booking while others ask at check in. This Embassy Suites did neither but upon arrival at my wet bar area, "my special snack" was waiting. Even had the pictured sign which read in part, "Your beverages are waiting to be enjoyed. As a Hilton HHonors VIP benefit, we have placed your requested beverages in the refrigerator for your convenience." Two things, first, look closely at the pictures of the sign, it was reused, has oily stains on the front, wrinkled, and food particles stuck to the back.....ugh.. Second, they never requested my beverage of choice and the only beverages in the refrigerator were two bottles of purified water. For those that don't know, purified water is basically filtered tap water that is bottled and not something I drink so they are sitting in the ice bucket to be recycled and used for the next HHonors VIP.....

You can say I am critical and picky but having spent a lot of nights in a lot of hotels, this is much closer to my bottom ten instead of any top ten. Stay here if you wish. You have the pictures so you decide if I am exaggerating. I just found out I may have to extend my stay in Richmond. I looking for a different hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
ESHRichmond, General Manager at Embassy Suites Richmond - The Commerce Center, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your current stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we completely understand that you are unhappy with your current suite. We have taken your comments and shared them with the appropriate team members as we continually work to improve our guest experience. However, we would like to apologize for the breakfast and noise issues as well. We will be sure to work with the appropriate team members to correct these issues going forward. We also want to share with you that we are currently working with a professional furniture company refinishing our guest room furniture and are very close to completing all rooms. While we apologize your room has not been completed, we would like to be able to show you the results, as we are very pleased. We would welcome the chance to speak with you directly, and treasure the opportunity to turn your experience around. We hope you will consider extending your stay with us and speaking with me. We would love the chance to provide a great stay for you. Best Regards, Kathleen Lyons, General Manager

Been to Embassy Suites Richmond - The Commerce Center? Share your experiences!