“Going strong” 4 of 5 stars

2X HHonors Points
Ranked #9 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
“Going strong”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stay here once or twice a year, and have always enjoyed the experience. This Embassy Suites offers roomy suites that seem well maintained, and it does what all these properties do in providing a generous manager's reception for a couple of hours every afternoon and an equally generous cooked-to-order breakfast every morning. Depending on your capacity (as well as hunger and thirst), these benefits could be worth $40 per person, so that you get a $140 suite for two for what amounts to $60.
I can add that the place is laid out in an usually complex design, so that it can be difficult to find the public restrooms---but that is by no means a serious drawback.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
ESHRichmond, General Manager at Embassy Suites Richmond - The Commerce Center, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Valued Guest, We are glad you enjoyed the benefits and value we offer with our Cooked-to-Order Hot Breakfast and Manager’s Reception. Our staff takes pride in taking care of our guests and thank you for sharing your thoughts and also for choosing to return to our Embassy Suites Hotel in Richmond! Yours in Hospitality, Kathleen Lyons, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Charlottesville, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Let me begin by saying that this staycation for my husband and I was very much needed. I am a full time grad student, I work full time and we have a 12 year old daughter so my time is very limited with my husband. We decided to go to the Embassy Suites in Richmond because it was just a short drive from home and we have had wonderful experiences with Embassy Suites in the past. I only pick hotels with hot tubs because I don't have one at home and I love relaxing in the hot tub. Well, we had a great dinner and great service at the hotel. We changed and went to the hot tub at about 11:00 PM, only to find that it wasn't even lukewarm. My husband called the front desk and he was told that it must have just been refilled and it wasn't warm yet. So, I was ok with just going the next morning. Well, the same thing happened the next morning. We were told by the maintenance man that he would have to drain the tub and refill it and that would take away from the water pressure in the hotel so he couldn't do it. He said it would take 2 hours to heat up even if he could do whatever he needed to do. Sooo, I didn't get to go to the hot tub during our stay. I believe that the front desk manager said that she had that problem the week before but was able to rectify it. We were given $20 worth of movie tickets as an appeasement....did I mention that I have NO TIME for anything but school, work, and family??? I have no idea if or when we will ever use the tickets. I know it may sound whiny but I almost cried when I couldn't enjoy the hot tub because I was so looking forward to relaxing in it during my one night getaway. Also, our room was right over the HVAC system so I barely slept because of the noise of it turning on and off. The sliding door didn't lock but since we were on the 5th floor, we just dealt with it. All in all, I wouldn't go back to this hotel and it is sad because I usually love Embassy Suites.

Room Tip: DO NOT GET A ROOM OVER THE HVAC SYSTEM!!!! Check you sliding door when you first get in the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
ESHRichmond, General Manager at Embassy Suites Richmond - The Commerce Center, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Valued Guest, I am sorry we were unable to provide you with the quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay. We apologize for the issues with the hot tub and we will work with our maintenance team to ensure that this is addressed immediately. Again, I apologize for the inconveniences and we hope you will consider staying with us again. We would love another chance to provide a great stay for you and your husband. Thank you again for your comments. Kathleen Lyons, General Manager
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed here recently to visit family and the Science Museum of Virginia. Though our room was not ready at 3pm checkin time, I persisted, and the clerk got someone to help her. He found a room that was available. We were on the 7th floor of the 8 floor hotel.

Good: room size was good for our family of 4. Though we didn't really partake of the Manager's Reception, it's nice that was available. The included breakfast, though not spectacular, included most everything important - meat, fruit, breads/pastries, omelettes made to order. But there were no grits! How could a hotel in the former capitol of the Confederacy not have grits?! Though the ice machine was just on the other side of a wall from our room and we could hear noise from the atrium below and the elevator dinging, all was quiet when we closed the door between the bedroom and living room. The bed was more comfortable than some hotels in the same price range/hotel category. Nice to have the indoor pool for the kids, but it did get crowded, as there was some big Lego show in town. We enjoyed the hot tub, once the jacuzzi stopped. The water came out of the jets and just splashed you rather than massaged sore areas. Location was ideal - just a few miles from the Science and Children's Museums, which means not far from the attractions on Monument Ave too. There is a Sheetz gas/convenience store just outside the hotel and many restaurants nearby.

Bad: the elevators were annoying slow. The furniture in the suite was worn but not gross. Apparently the hotel has blocked the ability of guests to connect their portable dvd players to the very nice tvs.

Overall, even though we paid with credit card points, this would have been a very good value for the price if we had paid money. I expect we'll stay there again whenever we return to Richmond.

Room Tip: If our room that was separated from the ice machine by just a wall was quiet, then I'd expect th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
ESHRichmond, General Manager at Embassy Suites Richmond - The Commerce Center, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Valued Guest, We are glad you took advantage of our Cooked-to-Order Hot Breakfast, maybe next time you can visit our Manager’s Reception. Glad to hear our suite worked well for your family. We often hear how the extra room from our suites makes a difference when compared to a standard hotel room, especially for families traveling. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope to see you again soon. Yours in Hospitality, Kathleen Lyons, General Manager
Gloucester, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband and I just visited this gorgeous ES 1/20-22/2013 for a birthday getaway. I commended the manager in person on the friendliness of her staff (everyone we encountered said hello/asked if we needed anything) and their willingness to accommodate our requests for extra pillows & even a fan. We ordered room service the first night as we were both having back issues but the cheeseburgers ordered (rare and medium rare) were both terribly overcooked to the point of not being able to eat them. The next morning we were looking forward to breakfast but arrived way too late (9:00) and there was no bacon, hash browns left @ the lines for bread were extreme. It's only for these reasons that I'm not giving this ES an excellent rating. The atrium/reception/pool areas are beautiful & remind me of one in SF, CA, that we visited but we liked this one better as it was much smaller. We stayed in the top (8th floor) corner room of 809 (smoking) & it afforded GREAT sunset views. Again, had it not been for the room service order/late breakfast, I would have rated this hotel as excellent. It's in a great location (quiet) and so convenient to so many locations of interest. My recommendatiohn-book here but skip room service & be sure to head down to breakfast early.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
ESHRichmond, General Manager at Embassy Suites Richmond - The Commerce Center, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and for sharing your pictures. It is not often pictures are posted, and your angles and lightening are excellent and offer all another view of the hotel. It was a pleasure meeting you and we hope you will visit again! Best Regards, Kathleen Lyons, General Manager
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here several times traveling from FL to home. All the rooms are in a "rectangle" and easy to get to. Upon arrival you can have a delicious cookie and The USA Today if you'd like. They have a cocktail hour from 5-7 with great (free) snacks! They also have an excellent included buffet breakfast and the rates are reasonable. It is off the interstate so is easily accessible when one is traveling.

• Stayed March 2012
ESHRichmond, General Manager at Embassy Suites Richmond - The Commerce Center, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for submitting a review. We are thrilled you selected us on your drive from FL. Our location is very good for stopping over on I-95 as well as I-64. We hope to see you again. Best Regards, Kathleen Lyons, General Manager
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The hotel is everything I expected from an Embassy. Friendly staff, comfortable rooms, good service, and clean. The hotel was not noisy like other Embassy's that I have stayed in, so I was able to get a good nights sleep. I would stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,
Please do come stay again, and again, and again!! Thank you for posting a review and we hope to see you return. Best Regards, Kathleen Lyons, General Manager
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My daughters and I really enjoyed everthing about this hotel. It was my daughters birthday weekend so she really enjoyed, the spa, swimming. For breakfast we eat until we could eat no more. The location was great because if you didn't want the food from the hotel, there was Friday's TGIF...Famous Dave's, and Hooter's in the area pretty much right outside the doors. No problem in accessing to the internet and cable on TV. For swimming there is adult swim after 10PM. NO KIDS that was cool. Open bar when we arrived, just had fun enjoying my family for the weekend. Yes, I would like to do it again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest, Than you for writing a reveiw and we hope you come back soon. Love to hear you just had fun enjoying your family for a weekend! Best Regards, Kathleen Lyons, General Manager

Been to Embassy Suites Richmond - The Commerce Center? Share your experiences!