“Excellent! Great staff!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
SWVA
“Excellent! Great staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I stayed at the Marriott in Downtown Richmond for several legislative meetings. The Staff went out of their way to be friendly and polite. They provided exceptional service. The room was clean comfortable. My only complaint would be that I was traveling with a small child and a mini fridge would have been very handy. We went ahead and brought a small cooler so all was OK. I plan on staying there again for any future Richmond meetings!

Room Tip: Request the Concierge level. It is well worth the cost. Includes internet and a continental breakfas...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I stayed at the Richmond Marriott for almost a month while moving to start a new job. I felt like I was being pampered! Right from the get-go, the valet staff was quick and did everything with a smile. I was greeted by a mutlitude of people before I even got to the check-in desk. The employee was prompt and again, had a huge smile on her face. There was a miscommunication with my relocation company but they said that they would take care of that completely on their own without bothering me about it- awesome!
My jaw dropped when I entered my room...a gigantic king size bed with the absolute MOST comfortable sheets and pillows I've ever slept on. I made it just in time for room service and the food looked and tasted great! I set out my card for my breakfast order and slept like a baby. The next morning, my food arrived exactly on time and I was able to make it to work early thanks to the fast valet service.
Every day of my stay I was greeted kindly and sincerely by the staff who, after almost a month, became my friends. I thoroughly enjoyed T.Millers, although a little pricey, and the bartenders and waitstaff were awesome. I even got to enjoy one of my favorite bands at The National, which is just steps away from the hotel!
I was almost sad when I had to leave and move into my new apartment because I had really found a home at the Marriott. I would stay here again in an instant.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Norfolk, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

This hotel is bad! Terrible! My Lady and I spent two nights at this hotel because of a New Year’s Eve gala that was being held there.

When we arrived, there we three people to take our car, but no one to help with the luggage. The room had inadequate heat. A repair person came to the room, replaced a motor in the heating unit, but said the pipes were not as hot as they should be … hence inadequate heating. Our room was not provided maid service. When we had to request for the service, we wanted to make it easy and asked for just for towels and soap … and soap ... and soap. But, no soap was left. Three of the 4 glasses were taken but not replaced. Someone … the glass lady? … was supposed to bring up glasses, but never did. On the way to the gala I stopped by the front desk, and explained our lack of service. I requested that 2 bars of soap and 3 glasses be available for us to pick up at the desk after the gala. Of course after the midnight gala … the staff at the front desk were unaware of our request.

The hotel catered the New Year’s Eve gala. They served the worst tasting hors d'oeuvres in my memory. My martini tasted as though is was all vermouth. Things didn’t get any better at dinner … the salmon tasted closer to sardines … and the beef was tough. Enough! You should get the point. Oh, and when temporarily leaving the hotel, the auto attendant gave directions that began with driving the wrong way one a one-way street.

One needs to experience the terrible in order to really appreciate the great. If you need a reminder of the terrible, this downtown Richmond Marriott is a place that will do it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Scott_Paradine, Manager at Richmond Marriott, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, Beyondthebull.

I am sorry that your experience at the Richmond Marriott fell short of your expectations on New Year's Eve. It sounds as though we failed on several fronts, from your arrival, to our housekeeping service and right through your event that evening. I apologize that we put a damper on what should have been an enjoyable evening of celebration, I can empathize with your frustration. I'd like to have the opportunity to speak with you at your convenience so that I can address the specifics of your stay, and respond directly. It is my hope that we might be able to bring you back to the Richmond Marriott sometime in the near future, provide the excellent service that Marriott Hotels worldwide are known for, and restore your confidence in our property and our people. I can be reached at 804-643-3400, or via e-mail at scott.paradine@whitelodging.com. If you'd like to drop me a quick note with your contact information and the best time to reach you, I'd be happy to do so.

Thank you for your time and for the opportunity to learn and improve on our past performance.
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We got a great deal for NYE! We stayed Sunday, Dec 31st -Jan 1, 2013...Great rates for both days!! The staff was very helpful, smiling and friendly! Never encountered any staff that didn't speak...they were super awesome!

The beds were very comfortable...pillows also...I slept like a baby!

Valet parking was great, the wait time to get your car wasn't long...the staff was really on the move! Great job!!

The sports bar (T-Miller) was packed for the Redskins/Cowboys game, the waitress that we had was very slow, and not attentive, while another waitress was really on the move....maybe ours was just not used to the hustle and bustle of being so crowded....maybe she was new? I don't know, that was the only part that sucked for the sports bar...

While the hotel was great, the location is a little iffy for me, had I been there alone, I wouldn't have felt comfortable leaving the hotel for a walk...but being that I was with my boyfriend, we walked for a couple of blocks while we were there, he's from Richmond and knows the area...so I felt safe with him. There are a lot of closed down businesses and a lot of people hanging on the street in front of these buildings and at the bus stops...but again this has nothing to do with how great the hotel was, just my thoughts of the area itself...I'm scared easily by certain types of surroundings...

We will be staying there again, when we're in Richmond to visit family or just hanging out for a night or two...Thanks for the great hospitality Richmond Marriott!!!

Room Tip: Higher floor had a great city view!
Charlottesville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

if your staying in this hotel is probably because your sightseeing Richmond or your attending an event in the hotel or locally , as there isn't much else around this location.
The service from the staff was very good , you were almost falling over yourself on people we had 3 staff greet us on arrival.
Concierge parking is expensive ( as it is at all the other near hotels ) but worth it as there are some rough areas around the hotel.The lobby is amazing with a nice sports bar and Starbucks , the rooms clean and fresh and up to snuff for Marriott standards if a little in the small side . The beds were super comfortable and if you know me that's a gripe i typically have with Marriott and why i typically stay at the Hilton hotels , but these beds were new and really nice.Internet is $13 a day unless your a gold or higher member , and if you are there is also a concierge room on the 15th floor serving snacks and drinks.
If I was a gold member or above and needed to stay in the area i would pick this hotel if it was for the odd night or so , if not I would go with this or the Hilton across the road depending on which had the better deals on the day.

Room Tip: High room away from lift , 15th floor can get busy because of the concierge room
Pinellas Park, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I had a good experience staying at this hotel for 5 nights on business. Every staff member that I encountered was friendly and eager to help.The fitness center is well equipped by hotel standards. Pool and hot tub were also nice. The hotel's restaurant is a bar & grill type of place that is just slightly overpriced, however the food and service there are both good. There was also a Starbucks in the lobby which was convenient to have around. As is standard for Marriott, the beds and pillows here are very comfortable and I slept better there than I usually do in my own home.

The only real issue I had was that the location wasn't ideal. Its not in a bad area and I never felt unsafe, but at night there are sometimes homeless wandering around. Hotel security does a good job of mitigating that issue for the most part though. There also aren't many bars or restaurants within walking distance which was a let down (although the hotel has a free shuttle available that can take you around in the immediate area).

Overall a good experience, and would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Louisville, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I stayed at this hotel June 2012 for a conference I was attending. The hotel is clean and the staff was great but ... They charged me $12 a day for wi-Fi ! That is insane ! When I complained at the front desk I was told the Wi-Fi was free in the lobby. I told the young woman behind the desk I didn't really like working in the middle of a busy lobby !
They did charge me for every device - laptop, iPad and smart phone. They did adjust my bill when I complained at the front desk. I could have a number of devices hooked to the wireless system for $12 bucks a day !
I have never stayed in such a high end hotel that charged that much for wireless for guest that was staying for an entire week. I have spent $5 or 6 dollars at an airport but never at a hotel that I was a guest.
Parking was also very expensive.

This is Richmond, VA not New York City !

I will not stay at is hotel again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback, Patrick. I apologize for the delay in my response.

First and foremost, thank you for your comments regarding our great staff. I am sorry that the level of service we provided did not offset the fact that we charged for the Internet service you needed during your stay. Like most Marriott hotels, the Richmond Marriott maintains a very robust amount of bandwidth coming into the building in order to service the needs of our guests occupying up to 410 rooms a night, as well as our conference attendees. In the past couple of years, we have had to increase this level of bandwidth multiple times in order to maintain the service and speed expected by our guests as more and more of our guests are now travelling with multiple Internet-enabled devices and using greater amounts of bandwidth for the work they're accomplishing while on the road. Rather than increasing guestroom rates across the board in order to account for our increased cost in providing fast, reliable Internet service; we have decided to make this charge voluntary, and as you reference, provide the alternative of complimentary service in our public areas. I recognize that this is sometimes not the most convenient solution for guests looking to accomplish work in the comfort of their guestrooms, but it is the best alternative that we're currently able to offer without sacrificing service, either directly in terms of the reliability and speed of our Internet connections, or elsewhere during your stay.

Hearing your feedback allows us the opportunity to provide you and all of our guests with a better experience on your next visit, and I appreciate the time that you've taken to provide that feedback. I am sorry that you did not experience value in the rates charged for our services.

Been to Richmond Marriott? Share your experiences!