“Nice Place to stay , expensive extras” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Double Rewards Points!
Ranked #24 of 87 Hotels in Richmond
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Nice Place to stay , expensive extras”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

if your staying in this hotel is probably because your sightseeing Richmond or your attending an event in the hotel or locally , as there isn't much else around this location.
The service from the staff was very good , you were almost falling over yourself on people we had 3 staff greet us on arrival.
Concierge parking is expensive ( as it is at all the other near hotels ) but worth it as there are some rough areas around the hotel.The lobby is amazing with a nice sports bar and Starbucks , the rooms clean and fresh and up to snuff for Marriott standards if a little in the small side . The beds were super comfortable and if you know me that's a gripe i typically have with Marriott and why i typically stay at the Hilton hotels , but these beds were new and really nice.Internet is $13 a day unless your a gold or higher member , and if you are there is also a concierge room on the 15th floor serving snacks and drinks.
If I was a gold member or above and needed to stay in the area i would pick this hotel if it was for the odd night or so , if not I would go with this or the Hilton across the road depending on which had the better deals on the day.

Room Tip: High room away from lift , 15th floor can get busy because of the concierge room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Pinellas Park, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I had a good experience staying at this hotel for 5 nights on business. Every staff member that I encountered was friendly and eager to help.The fitness center is well equipped by hotel standards. Pool and hot tub were also nice. The hotel's restaurant is a bar & grill type of place that is just slightly overpriced, however the food and service there are both good. There was also a Starbucks in the lobby which was convenient to have around. As is standard for Marriott, the beds and pillows here are very comfortable and I slept better there than I usually do in my own home.

The only real issue I had was that the location wasn't ideal. Its not in a bad area and I never felt unsafe, but at night there are sometimes homeless wandering around. Hotel security does a good job of mitigating that issue for the most part though. There also aren't many bars or restaurants within walking distance which was a let down (although the hotel has a free shuttle available that can take you around in the immediate area).

Overall a good experience, and would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Louisville, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I stayed at this hotel June 2012 for a conference I was attending. The hotel is clean and the staff was great but ... They charged me $12 a day for wi-Fi ! That is insane ! When I complained at the front desk I was told the Wi-Fi was free in the lobby. I told the young woman behind the desk I didn't really like working in the middle of a busy lobby !
They did charge me for every device - laptop, iPad and smart phone. They did adjust my bill when I complained at the front desk. I could have a number of devices hooked to the wireless system for $12 bucks a day !
I have never stayed in such a high end hotel that charged that much for wireless for guest that was staying for an entire week. I have spent $5 or 6 dollars at an airport but never at a hotel that I was a guest.
Parking was also very expensive.

This is Richmond, VA not New York City !

I will not stay at is hotel again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Scott_Paradine, Manager at Richmond Marriott, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, Patrick. I apologize for the delay in my response.

First and foremost, thank you for your comments regarding our great staff. I am sorry that the level of service we provided did not offset the fact that we charged for the Internet service you needed during your stay. Like most Marriott hotels, the Richmond Marriott maintains a very robust amount of bandwidth coming into the building in order to service the needs of our guests occupying up to 410 rooms a night, as well as our conference attendees. In the past couple of years, we have had to increase this level of bandwidth multiple times in order to maintain the service and speed expected by our guests as more and more of our guests are now travelling with multiple Internet-enabled devices and using greater amounts of bandwidth for the work they're accomplishing while on the road. Rather than increasing guestroom rates across the board in order to account for our increased cost in providing fast, reliable Internet service; we have decided to make this charge voluntary, and as you reference, provide the alternative of complimentary service in our public areas. I recognize that this is sometimes not the most convenient solution for guests looking to accomplish work in the comfort of their guestrooms, but it is the best alternative that we're currently able to offer without sacrificing service, either directly in terms of the reliability and speed of our Internet connections, or elsewhere during your stay.

Hearing your feedback allows us the opportunity to provide you and all of our guests with a better experience on your next visit, and I appreciate the time that you've taken to provide that feedback. I am sorry that you did not experience value in the rates charged for our services.
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Located across the street from the convention center and blocks away from the capitol this is a was a good experience. The room was clean and everything was in order. Staff are friendly and helpful. I will stay here again if business calls for it

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Ashburn, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Stayed here for the night before the marathon. This hotel was in a very convenient location for the marathon. Staff was super friendly. Room was nice. My only complaint is that they charge for the internet. I think that is ridiculous in this day and age, but other than that it is a great hotel for hte marathon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

This marriott couldn't be more conovenient to the downtown convention center and other downtown Richmond activities. We've stayed there 4 times now for a Christmas concert. The hotel is very nice and the rooms have been ujpdated (although my wife felt the bed was a bit small). All staff were courteous and professional. Good workout facility, plus it's only a short jog down to the river and more jogging frails. Parking is a bit expensive, but typical for downtown locations.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Arrived at the Richmond Marriott and were greeted by Ashley. She was very freindly and helpful. Average sized room with a nice city view on the 15th floor.

Overall I found the hotel to be very clean and our room was also clean.

However, the rooms are a tired looking and could stand to be update (i.e. dim lighting, wall coverings tired are looking and carept, caulk and furnishings simply look old and in need of replacement).

Overall. Clean. Safe. Friendly staff. Average value (but slightly below Marriott's usual standards)

P.S. One thing. There is no parking in front of the hotel (valet only $$$). Parking is in a public garage next door (connected via a breezeway). We came around from Marshall street and this can be kinda tricky if you arent familiar with the area as many of the side streets are one way. Hotel does not validate parking as this is a city garage (and it's the same garage the valet guys appear to use). The automatic payment machines weren't working this week so you may need to pay the parking attendent on the way out.

Room Tip: If you are staying on the 15th floor you may want to avoid rooms 1523 and other rooms close to the 1...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback, FamilyManMd.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay, found our hotel to clean and safe, and that you appreciated our wonderful staff. I am especially glad that Ashley provided service upon arrival memorable enough for you to mention her by name in your comments. I'll make sure that she is thanked for that service.
I am sorry, on the other hand, that you found our guestrooms to be tired-looking. We constantly strive to ensure that our guests enter a clean, crisp room each time they come to our hotel, and it sounds as though that was not the case during your stay. You'll be glad to know that in addition to putting brand new beds and upgrading the pillows in each of our 410 guestrooms; we have also just completed a building-wide deep clean and carpet shampooing that I believe will address some of your observations. I hope that the next time your travels bring you back to Virginia's captial city, you might come back to the Richmond Marriott for a repeat of the excellent service that you received on this last visit. I know that when you do, you'll see a marked improvement in the freshness of our rooms.

Hearing your observations allows us the opportunity to provide you and all of our guests with a better experience on your next visit, and I appreciate the time that you've taken to provide that feedback.