“Nice Place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 81 hotels in Richmond
Ashburn, Virginia
“Nice Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Stayed here for the night before the marathon. This hotel was in a very convenient location for the marathon. Staff was super friendly. Room was nice. My only complaint is that they charge for the internet. I think that is ridiculous in this day and age, but other than that it is a great hotel for hte marathon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

298 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

This marriott couldn't be more conovenient to the downtown convention center and other downtown Richmond activities. We've stayed there 4 times now for a Christmas concert. The hotel is very nice and the rooms have been ujpdated (although my wife felt the bed was a bit small). All staff were courteous and professional. Good workout facility, plus it's only a short jog down to the river and more jogging frails. Parking is a bit expensive, but typical for downtown locations.

Westminster, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Arrived at the Richmond Marriott and were greeted by Ashley. She was very freindly and helpful. Average sized room with a nice city view on the 15th floor.

Overall I found the hotel to be very clean and our room was also clean.

However, the rooms are a tired looking and could stand to be update (i.e. dim lighting, wall coverings tired are looking and carept, caulk and furnishings simply look old and in need of replacement).

Overall. Clean. Safe. Friendly staff. Average value (but slightly below Marriott's usual standards)

P.S. One thing. There is no parking in front of the hotel (valet only $$$). Parking is in a public garage next door (connected via a breezeway). We came around from Marshall street and this can be kinda tricky if you arent familiar with the area as many of the side streets are one way. Hotel does not validate parking as this is a city garage (and it's the same garage the valet guys appear to use). The automatic payment machines weren't working this week so you may need to pay the parking attendent on the way out.

Room Tip: If you are staying on the 15th floor you may want to avoid rooms 1523 and other rooms close to the 1...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Scott_Paradine, Manager at Richmond Marriott, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, FamilyManMd.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay, found our hotel to clean and safe, and that you appreciated our wonderful staff. I am especially glad that Ashley provided service upon arrival memorable enough for you to mention her by name in your comments. I'll make sure that she is thanked for that service.
I am sorry, on the other hand, that you found our guestrooms to be tired-looking. We constantly strive to ensure that our guests enter a clean, crisp room each time they come to our hotel, and it sounds as though that was not the case during your stay. You'll be glad to know that in addition to putting brand new beds and upgrading the pillows in each of our 410 guestrooms; we have also just completed a building-wide deep clean and carpet shampooing that I believe will address some of your observations. I hope that the next time your travels bring you back to Virginia's captial city, you might come back to the Richmond Marriott for a repeat of the excellent service that you received on this last visit. I know that when you do, you'll see a marked improvement in the freshness of our rooms.

Hearing your observations allows us the opportunity to provide you and all of our guests with a better experience on your next visit, and I appreciate the time that you've taken to provide that feedback.
West Chester, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

As a frequent visitor to the River City, it is important that I am comfortable with my surroundings and the front desk staff was so friendly and helpful! Ashley and her front desk staff made me feel very welcome, gave me a warm greeting and put me in a beautiful room with a panaroma view of the city. As soon as I walked thru the door, the bellman greeted me and asked me if he could take my luggage and was so polite and friendly when he showed me the room. The hotel is quite elegant and the sports bar was rocking with the Rivarly week football games on their flat screen TV's. My only negatives were the cost to use the computer in the business center and the pool is not deep so it was a challenge for lap swimmers. The area is a little sketchy but you can't beat the location since it is close to a number of tourist attractions and if you like to shop, it is not near any shopping venues so you better have a car. I will definitely stay here again and it is one of the nicer Marriotts that I've stayed and the front desk staff is the friendliest and nicest in town!!! A huge thumbs up!!!

Room Tip: Pick a city view room because you really get a great view and it is not loud.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Hubert, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

stayed here this year for the tattoo conv. and was very happy with the place, the staff, the room, and the view! would definately stay here next year! and the sports bar is a good place to eat+ have a few beers!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Midlothian, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I recently stayed here after my wedding and the lobby is quite nice but once you enter the rooms they are quite disappointing for a Marriott. The staff was great to work with though! We had a mini fridge in our room only because it was requested beforehand, I found it very surprising that was not standard for a hotel like this. Not a bad place, but for the money there are better places in downtown Richmond to stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback JenniferW. I apologize for the delay in my response to your comments.

First and foremost, congratulations on your marriage! Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your special night, I am glad that our excellent staff was able to add to your experience. I am sorry, however, that you found our guestrooms to be disappointing. We work constantly to ensure that all of our guests enter a clean, crisp room each time they come back to our hotel, and it sounds like this was not the case during your stay with us. You'll be glad to know that in addition to putting brand new beds and upgrading the pillows in each of our 410 rooms, we have also just completed a building-wide deep clean and carpet shampooing that I believe may address some of what you experienced in our rooms. I hope the next time you have the opportunity to stay in downtown Richmond, you might come back to the Richmond Marriott for a repeat of the excellent service you received from our staff, and that you will see an improved guestroom while you're here.

tubbyl0ve
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My wife stayed at the hotel this past weekend for the Richmond Marriott and we were thoroughly disappointed. The first problem was the fact that we were told during check in that the hotel could not honor any late checkout requests due to another event set to take place at the hotel. While we realize that it was just a request and the hotel does have other customers, it would have been nice to have been notified of this prior to check in considering my wife would not finish the race till after check out and thus have nowhere to shower. In addition, the dining situation was a mess and the restaurant and bar seemed woefully understaffed. Again we realized that there was a large influx of customers but the hotel had ample notification and should have been prepared. The biggest complaint that we had was that the shower only came to a light trickle and was hardly enough water to even get soap off your body. This was incredibly challenging and unacceptable for a hotel of this supposed caliber. We did not make any attempt to call maintenance or change rooms because we were on a tight schedule for the start of the race and realized any complaint would have just slowed us down. Overall we were thoroughly disappointed with the stay and would not likely return to the hotel for any future trips to Richmond. In addition to our complaints, the hotel is old and somewhat ragged. It is certainly not worth the luxury designation on the website.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback, tubbyl0ve. I apologize for the delay in my response.

I apologize that the service you experienced throughout your stay was not up to our usual standards. I can assure you that we value your feedback and will put it to good use as we continue to improve, every day. For starters, I agree with you that we could have notified you prior to your arrival that we would not be able to extend late checkouts on the day of the Richmond Marathon, and I am sorry that we did not. We will be doing so in the future, and have made other changes in our processes to ensure the satisfaction of the very large number of guests that we welcome for that event each November. I am also sorry that T-Miller's Sports Bar & Grill seemed to be understaffed the evening prior to the race. I can assure you that we do prepare in advance for that night, as we do for all special events, including staffing and offering a special carb-heavy menu for our race participants. I am sorry that our preparation was not evident in your experience. Your lack of water pressure is similarly disappointing, and I can only imagine your frustration as you tried to get ready for an early race start.
I would like to address the specifics of your stay directly, and see what we might do to bring you back to the Richmond Marriott on your next visit to Virginia's capital city, perhaps for the 2013 Anthem Richmond Marathon on November 16. If you'd like, I can be reached directly at scott.paradine@whitelodging.com, and would look forward to the opportunity.

Hearing your observations allows us the opportunity to provide you and all of our guests with a better experience on your next visit, and I appreciate the time that you've taken to provide your feedback. We can't fix problems if we don't know about them. Thank you.

Been to Richmond Marriott? Share your experiences!