“Perfect for a family and our large group” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Place Richmond / Arboretum

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Place Richmond / Arboretum to your Saves list
Hyatt Place Richmond / Arboretum
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   201 Arboretum Place, Richmond, VA 23236 (Formerly AmeriSuites)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
$20/Day Food & Bev Credit
Ranked #25 of 82 hotels in Richmond
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Perfect for a family and our large group”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Check in fast. Bar area handy. Staff helpful. Room is clean although they definitely put out a strong cleaning smell. Don't know if it's masking something or not but more than we usual smell at hotels. Our room seemed very clean. However, the bathroom door came so close into the bathroom that it was hard to manuver. We were 3 females, all under 130lbs so not sure how a larger person would manage in this bathroom situation. Possibly an accessible room would help with this problem. Fitness center was basic but just fine with 2 nice treadmills, a recumbant bike and an eliptical. Nice weights and a weightlifting bench.

When we arrived in the evening, we got the grab and go salad and a glass of wine and had the free breakfast in the morning. We have stayed here before and for some reason they always oversalt their oatmeal so that it tastes like it was made with ocean water but beyond that, breakfast was just fine and your standard fare if not possibly made better by the english muffin sandwiches with egg and canadian bacon. We came with a group and the lobby area with tables and various group seating areas worked great for us. We will come back again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

103 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

My husband and I have stayed there before and we love it. We had a room with a king sized bed. It’s like a little suite. You have a large sitting room, kitchen area (with a bar sink, mini fridge and desk) and a bedroom. A huge tv in the center that swivels so you can see it no matter what room you’re in. The bed is super comfortable and it just invited you to fall asleep. There is no room service but there is a way to order food 24 hours a day. They have a good continental style breakfast with egg and ham English muffins, cereal, oatmeal, fruit, juice, and bagels. The hotel was clean and we didn’t have any problems.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Richmond
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I was pretty hesitant when booking this hotel due to mixed reviews but figured I'd give it a shot. Traveling with my 3 year old toddler, we were swiftly checked-in. To my surprise, the room was clean and bright. Clean linens too:) Staff were courteous and attentive. Called late at night due to a drain issue and that was handled within 30min. Breakfast each morning was okay i.e breakfast sandwiches with pork, pancakes or french toast, juices, cereal, fruit, oatmeal. Overall, it's not your 4star hotel but they are trying to keep their customers happy by providing great service. On another note, a previous reviewer mentioned a fruity air freshener scent that lingered at all times and may be overpowering for those with asthma/allergy induced issues. Hope this helps:)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Canton, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

"Welcome to a Different Place" is the slogan for this hotel, and different it sure is, but not in a good way. Where do I begin?

Check-in was fine, and the girl at the desk was nice and friendly, but when I glanced straight up at te ceiling a few ceiling tiles have turned brown from water damage. No biggie, but still an quality issue from an appearance stand-point.

The hotel has a funky flower perfumey smell like it's trying to mask something. When we got to our room on the 5th floor, it smelled musty/moldy, which really bothered by sinuses.

As soon as I walked in the room I wanted to leave. It just had a gross feeling and the smell didn't help. It didn't feel clean, and the tub had weird suction marks on it, probably from an old tub mat or something. I showered with my flip-flops on.

We were going to stay 2 nights to see some historical sites in the area, but we promptly canceled our 2nd night and moved to another hotel closer to the outer banks (which is our final destination).

Breakfast was also inedible. My husband poured a glass of milk and discovered it was sour when he took a sip. The waffles tasted like cardboard and the coffee was not good at all....I dumped it after a sip.

We went back to our room to finish packing and my husband had to use the restroom before we hit the road. Well, someone from the cleaning staff opened our door when we were still inside and saw my husband using the bathroom. We did not check out of our room yet, so I have no idea why the staff member thought it was okay to open our door. In all honesty, we thought this bathroom circumstance was pretty funny, but our privacy was not respected either, which was just icing on the cake to our experience at this "different place."

We've never stayed at a Hyatt before, and we never will again. We are peacefully enjoying our stay at a Hilton right now.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

We recently stayed here with our softball team. One of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in. Service was great!!! The staff was very friendly. And even though it was over !! groups checking in at the same time, check in was a breeze.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stay at this hotel each time we visit Richmond. The service is always excellent, the rooms spacious, comfortable, and clean, and the location is excellent for shopping and restaurants! There is an Olive Garden and a couple of other restaurants nearby. The rooms and bathrooms are renovated and well maintained. Our stay was quiet.
The continental breakfast is one of the best, in my opinion, with plenty of healthy choices such as fresh fruit and yogurt. You can also order hot breakfast combinations from the menu (not included in the free breakfast).

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

I was in town for a business conference, but did not want to stay at the host hotel because it had bad reviews on trip advisor. I saw that this hotel was close to the host hotel and had great reviews. I decided to give it a shot. I was very pleasantly surprised as I had never stayed at a Hyatt Place hotel. The staff was very friendly, the room was nice and spacious and beds were comfortable. The only drawback to the room was the water pressure in the morning. I guess the water pressure was low due to larger numbers of guests using the showers, etc. in the morning. I am not sure if this happened to other guests at the hotel. Other than that, I have no complaints. The breakfast bar in the morning was great also. There were hot sandwiches and a variety of other breakfast items to choose from. Although the hotel has a gym, guests can also use the Gold's gym that is within walking distance from the hotel. In addition, there is a HUGE mall right down the street from the hotel and lots of places to eat nearby. Great deal!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hyatt Place Richmond / Arboretum? Share your experiences!