“Pleasant surprise” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Place Richmond / Arboretum

You added Hyatt Place Richmond / Arboretum to your Saves list
Hyatt Place Richmond / Arboretum
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   201 Arboretum Place, Richmond, VA 23236 (Formerly AmeriSuites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Double Your Points
Ranked #28 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Richmond
“Pleasant surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I was pretty hesitant when booking this hotel due to mixed reviews but figured I'd give it a shot. Traveling with my 3 year old toddler, we were swiftly checked-in. To my surprise, the room was clean and bright. Clean linens too:) Staff were courteous and attentive. Called late at night due to a drain issue and that was handled within 30min. Breakfast each morning was okay i.e breakfast sandwiches with pork, pancakes or french toast, juices, cereal, fruit, oatmeal. Overall, it's not your 4star hotel but they are trying to keep their customers happy by providing great service. On another note, a previous reviewer mentioned a fruity air freshener scent that lingered at all times and may be overpowering for those with asthma/allergy induced issues. Hope this helps:)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Canton, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

"Welcome to a Different Place" is the slogan for this hotel, and different it sure is, but not in a good way. Where do I begin?

Check-in was fine, and the girl at the desk was nice and friendly, but when I glanced straight up at te ceiling a few ceiling tiles have turned brown from water damage. No biggie, but still an quality issue from an appearance stand-point.

The hotel has a funky flower perfumey smell like it's trying to mask something. When we got to our room on the 5th floor, it smelled musty/moldy, which really bothered by sinuses.

As soon as I walked in the room I wanted to leave. It just had a gross feeling and the smell didn't help. It didn't feel clean, and the tub had weird suction marks on it, probably from an old tub mat or something. I showered with my flip-flops on.

We were going to stay 2 nights to see some historical sites in the area, but we promptly canceled our 2nd night and moved to another hotel closer to the outer banks (which is our final destination).

Breakfast was also inedible. My husband poured a glass of milk and discovered it was sour when he took a sip. The waffles tasted like cardboard and the coffee was not good at all....I dumped it after a sip.

We went back to our room to finish packing and my husband had to use the restroom before we hit the road. Well, someone from the cleaning staff opened our door when we were still inside and saw my husband using the bathroom. We did not check out of our room yet, so I have no idea why the staff member thought it was okay to open our door. In all honesty, we thought this bathroom circumstance was pretty funny, but our privacy was not respected either, which was just icing on the cake to our experience at this "different place."

We've never stayed at a Hyatt before, and we never will again. We are peacefully enjoying our stay at a Hilton right now.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

We recently stayed here with our softball team. One of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in. Service was great!!! The staff was very friendly. And even though it was over !! groups checking in at the same time, check in was a breeze.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stay at this hotel each time we visit Richmond. The service is always excellent, the rooms spacious, comfortable, and clean, and the location is excellent for shopping and restaurants! There is an Olive Garden and a couple of other restaurants nearby. The rooms and bathrooms are renovated and well maintained. Our stay was quiet.
The continental breakfast is one of the best, in my opinion, with plenty of healthy choices such as fresh fruit and yogurt. You can also order hot breakfast combinations from the menu (not included in the free breakfast).

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

I was in town for a business conference, but did not want to stay at the host hotel because it had bad reviews on trip advisor. I saw that this hotel was close to the host hotel and had great reviews. I decided to give it a shot. I was very pleasantly surprised as I had never stayed at a Hyatt Place hotel. The staff was very friendly, the room was nice and spacious and beds were comfortable. The only drawback to the room was the water pressure in the morning. I guess the water pressure was low due to larger numbers of guests using the showers, etc. in the morning. I am not sure if this happened to other guests at the hotel. Other than that, I have no complaints. The breakfast bar in the morning was great also. There were hot sandwiches and a variety of other breakfast items to choose from. Although the hotel has a gym, guests can also use the Gold's gym that is within walking distance from the hotel. In addition, there is a HUGE mall right down the street from the hotel and lots of places to eat nearby. Great deal!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Ogdensburg, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

I had never stayed at a Hyatt Place before and was pleasantly surprised by the whole experience. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. The room was huge. I didn't expect it to have a sectional sofa and fridge. The bathroom was small but had a nice shower. The large flat panel was nice even though a couple of the channels were a bit garbled. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable with good pillows. The hotel itself is in a business area so there aren't close but there are a lot to choose from within a couple of miles.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I live in Richmond but stayed here one night when my power went out after a storm. The hotel is in an attractive, high end office park with plenty of trees, lakes, and well maintained plantings. Ask for a room that faces the front of the hotel, and you'll have a pretty view of the park-like setting. The property is probably from the mid-1990s but it has been renovated and is well maintained. The rooms are large and have mini-fridges and very comfortable beds and pillows. The bathrooms are small but they are also divided: toilet and shower in their own room with the sink and mirror outside. This is not a motel; the hallways are all inside, and it's all well lit. The place feels safe and secure. One of the better free breakfast buffets I have encountered. Super coffee! The immedate area is not as nice some other parts of Richmond but the hotel has no control over that. Limited dining options in the immediate vicinity (the best bet is probably nearby Tripp's). You're about 10 minutes from downtown Richmond without the bother of staying in downtown Richmond. Easy on/off the local highways. The staff is friendly and on top of things. I'd stay here again for sure.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hyatt Place Richmond / Arboretum? Share your experiences!