“Great for Southside Richmond business travel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Place Richmond / Arboretum

You added Hyatt Place Richmond / Arboretum to your Saves list
Hyatt Place Richmond / Arboretum
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   201 Arboretum Place, Richmond, VA 23236 (Formerly AmeriSuites)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
$20/Day Food & Bev Credit
Ranked #27 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Chesterfield, Virginia
“Great for Southside Richmond business travel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2011

I've stayed at this property twice since December and liked it both times. I was in a king room with a huge sectional couch and a big, flat-screen TV. The room rate was very reasonable.

Front desk staff were very helpful. On my first visit, the desk clerk gave me a tour of the amenities - something I've never encountered at a hotel but a nice touch.

Continental breakfast was adequate - not quite as nice as the Hampton Inn but gets the job done.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Bel Air, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

I've had a few good laughs from some of the other reviews here. Some of the complaints are so petty... get over yourself! No ambiance at the bar? Bathroom fan too loud?....give me a break you snobs.
I do a good bit of business travel and this has been one of the nicest rooms I've ever been in. Beautifully decorated and very comfortable, attractive carpet, a big sectional (fold out), an awesome 42" HDTV with a very unique connection panel for hooking up a game or laptop or video camera. Nice desk with a comfortable chair and a wet bar. Very comfortable bed. The lobby is refreshingly casual, with a bar, lots of seating, beer and wine for sale. As someone else said, sort of like a Starbucks. The staff is cheerful and very friendly from my experience. Location is typical cul de sac next to the highway but that's a good thing. Easy peasy.
Ok, not so great... smallish bathrooms, average hotel breakfast.. but I've had worse. Didn't try any of the for sale food items but they are available 24 hrs a day. I doubt if they are haute cuisine. Oh I also noticed today when I walked by the fitness center... it's a bit better than the usual 1 treadmill, 1 bike. It actually looked like a (small) fitness center.
If you're not the Queen of England, or just act like you are... I think you'll find this quite nice, I think especially the business traveler.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Houston, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

After staying at 2 wonderful Hyatt Place hotels we were looking forward to our trip to Richmond. This Hyatt Place has been made over from some other hotel brand. The airconditioners are extremely noisy as are the fans in the bathrooms. We had more than one room at this hotel and they were all loud. It does have the Hyatt Place touch and the staff here is the best I have encountered in a long, long time. That said, the noisy rooms did not make for a good nights sleep.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

Went for a wedding. Since a "Hyatt" expected to be Hyatt standards. It is more like a glorified Red Roof Inn! The pool is a concrete hole in the ground. There is a joke of a bar. No ambience. Elevators are ancient. Do not stay there unless absolutely no alternative whatsoever.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
El Dorado Hills, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

I've stayed at Hyatt Places before and this is very similar. Same bedroom set-up (king bed, couch that becomes a bed for our 11 year old, free breakfast, pool, refrigerator in the room, coffee pot). The only difference is this one didn't have a guest laundry facility, which we could have used. The staff were very friendly. Every one of them went out of their way to say hello and make sure we had everything we needed. The location is okay too. Usually my husband has the rental car but this time we did, so we were able to drive to a nice mall, but if we didn't, we'd still be able to walk to CVS Pharmacy, a Starbucks, KFC, McDonald's, Little Caesar's Pizza. Breakfast provided fresh fruit, yogurt, toast, oatmeal, donuts on a couple days, coffee, tea, juice, cereal selection. We had dinner on the night we arrived (salads and one cheeseburger) but it wasn't something we'd do again. It wasn't very good, but it was late so that may have been why. Chef salad was packaged lunchmeat, cheese slices and wilted lettuce. Cheeseburger had shredded cheese on it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

We drove down to Va from NYC, long drive, all night, but we book the room for the day before so we was set for the 5am arrival, had to wait a bit, for 2 room near each other, even though we requested it. The young lady on duty was helpful and very polite. The next days breakfast consisted of cold cereal, fruit, mixed fruit, toast, stuff like that, it was adequate, it was just the rude way items were removed, very abrupt, while people were serving themselves. when breakfast is over , its over, very unprofessional , (you give people a few minutes to consume whats left). Even the coffee was packed away. ( It could be because they have items for sale, coffee, bake good, etc).
I was also reminded THREE TIMES by the same clerk when i informed him that we were departing the night before (even though we was booked to say until the following morning0 .WE just wanted to get a jump on the AM traffic... THREE TIMES I was informed ...by the same clerk that i would not receive a discount for leaving early. After the third time I had to state that I didnt ask for a discount, and informed him that we booked the extra day so that we could rest up for the long drive and leave a little later. We didnt intend to be compensated. He never appologized or even looked up to make eye contact. I felt that most of the AM staff was a bit cold and unwelcoming, with the exception of the maintanance man , that made sure to inform us about the pool and Tanya Wiggins at the front desk the night of July 4th, she over extended herself to make an out of towner felt at home. Thanks Tanya!... If you eliminate the petty stuff, and add some warmth and sensitivity, this would be a fantastic hotel. People need to come first, and a smile goes a long way.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Norfolk, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

This property somehow provided a decent night’s rest. The clerks at check-in were distracted. They managed to get me into a room despite the fact that their attention was more focused on the lobby window than their work. When I had to go back to the desk to report a problem with the phone, they answered with a shoulder shrug. When someone eventually came to the room to check the phone, he communicated with his shoulder as well. The night staff was less than welcoming.

At least the room was perfectly clean and plush, with everything in working order. The outdoor pool area was clean, with towels available. The property as a whole was clean and well landscaped.

The day staff was exceptional. They mentioned being short handed, but they hustled to serve the complimentary breakfast and check out guests. They worked quickly and cheerfully and everyone was taken care of with no delays. My early invoice had an error from the night staff, which they fixed quickly. Breakfast was fresh and plentiful, with a wide variety of items available. The breakfast area was kept clean.

The night staff was imperfect, but not bad enough to ruin the visit. The day staff and the quality of the hotel itself were good enough that I’d stay here again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Been to Hyatt Place Richmond / Arboretum? Share your experiences!