“Solid Place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Washington
“Solid Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

We stayed at the Commonwealth Park Suites while attending a concert at the National (a local music venue about two blocks away). The parking options are sub-optimal - either valet for $12/day (I think, but can't swear) or park in a handful of lots nearby (though the bulk of the nearby lots are designated for St. of Va employees for the office buildings). Parking was the only slight 'pain point'.
The staff was nice and the room was a large multi-room suite. The rooms had snap wooden floors and the furniture wasn't 'worn'. There's a frig and both rooms had TVs with multiple sitting areas. Also a desk and small kitchen table for those interested. I think there was also internet service. Overall, I thought it was pretty good for the price.

Location-wise, there is relatively little immediately nearby - unless your going to the Gov's house. That said, we walked to Shockoe Bottom (maybe 6 or 7 blocks) which is full of bars and restaurants. In the other direction, is Shockoe Slip (which we walked to a late night diner after the concert).
If you're going to the National, it's a perfect location. If not, it's a solid place for the money with large rooms and a nice staff. If you're considering it, go for it!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

After consulting previous TripAdvisor reviews, I was leery, but this turned out to be a great experience. My room was vast and quiet. The elevator was slow, but I was on the second floor so this wasn't a problem. I did not eat at the hotel restaurant so cannot comment. The location -- literally across the street from the State Capitol and a short trot from various museums -- is perfect, if that's what you're in Richmond for.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Virginia Beach, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2009

but look out for valet parking. pricey & they tried to give me wrong car. everything else decent. .internet, cleanlinesss, gym, quiet, OK if you don't have a car you care about. Staff gruff at times but helpful.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2008

Spacious suite, especially for the money. Staff at front desk and in restuarant were friendly and helpful. Will stay there again for my next trip to Richmond.

• Stayed November 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2008

This was a wonderful hotel. The room was like a small apartment, very clean and nice. The staff were extremely helpful and nice. The hotel is in a nice area, blocks from great restaurants. We walked everywhere and felt completely safe. We're going back again next week!

• Liked — The room and location
  • Disliked — Liked everything
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Raleigh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2008

I was nervous given the reviews but our main objective was to stay somewhere "different" than the typical hotel room so we took a risk. First, the valet parking is assume. The rate is almost 1/2 as much as I'm use to paying at hotel garages per night. There is a small staff so it's a little more intimate and you recognize all the faces and they are warm and friendly throughout your stay. The elevator is the SMALLEST ELEVATOR I'VE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE!!! LOL We thought it was hilarious but we only had 1 suitcase. It was just enough room for me, my husband and our few things. A family would have to split up and make multiple trips :o) We rented the King Suite w/ a view. It was ADORABLE! I felt like I was in a city apartment. I can't tell you how many times we talked about how cozy it was. The downside is that there is NOTHING to do in the immediate area and the closest activities (if you're looking for rests., bars, nightlife) are 6+ blocks away. To some that may not be much, we did walk to the Capitol Ale House for lunch and it was a nice walk. There are plenty of place if you're willing to drive a few blocks up the street near VCU. Just pretend there's not a restaurant because the little one they have isn't very appealing. We did have a decent breakfast there though, but it's pricey. Overall, it depends on what you're looking for. If you want a slue of amenities, book the Marriot up the street. If you want something different and cozy, this place is perfect! My one MUST HAVE was free wireless internet....on that they delivered!

• Liked — Large Rooms
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2008

The Commonwealth is in a nice location in Richmond if you need to spend some time at the state library. Otherwise, there doesn't seem to be much around. I had to order dinner from a Thai restaurant because I didn't want to eat in the nearly-empty hotel restaurant and I couldn't find any place to go on a Friday night. After the rush hour, the streets were deserted.

My bed was comfy, but the air conditioning didn't work well. I know this is not the cleaning staff's fault, but I found smushed, used cigarette butts in the yellow pages. The staff was pleasant, however, and I had a good breakfast with excellent coffee and excellent service at the hotel's restaurant. And even though there were lots of people in the hotel because of a bike race the next morning, it was very quiet.

I would recommend this hotel, but I do have concerns.

• Liked — the breakfast
  • Disliked — the location
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
CommonwealthPark, ASST. General Manager at Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel, responded to this review, July 28, 2008
Dear Guest
I would like to apologise that you found cigerrette butts in yellow pages. If you will be kind enough to let me know your room number and the date you stayed I would get it checked.
Your second concern, about nothing to do Friday night, I just wish you had asked our Valet. We are about six blocks from the historic Schockoe Slip area where there are over 40 different nightclubs and restaurants. Our restaurant is not busy at night as people prefer to go to the Schockoe Slip area.

We are quite on weeekends as our main guest profile is Judges, General Assembly, Attorneys and VCU Health Systems, and all these people leave for their homes on the weekend.
We are only busy on weekends if there is a wedding group in house.
Once again I apologise for any inconvience.
Anshu Kapoor
Asst. General Manager.
804-343-7300

Been to Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!