“A very pleasant, older hotel with a great location” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   901 Bank Street, Richmond, VA 23219   |
Ranked #15 of 84 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A very pleasant, older hotel with a great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I had a wonderful stay at this old-fashioned little hotel right in the center of the city. If you have business to do at the Supreme Court or the Capitol, you really couldn't get any closer. Just walk out the front door and stroll up the street.

The hotel doesn't really have any special amenities. It's fairly small, with a small lobby, small elevators, small rooms. But the room was very well appointed, with lovely brand new red bedspreads, and even bidets in the bathroom. There is a small breakfast buffet in the bar in the morning, which was excellent. We got there a little late, so although some of the food had been removed, they still made us eggs to order. And they were delicious!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
CommonwealthPark, General Manager at Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post a review .I will share your comments with the rest of the team and look forward to a future visit. We are happy that you enjoyed your trip to our Hotel.
Anshu Kapoor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Castletownshend, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

James, the head waiter and breakfast chef in the hotel's restaurant, makes a perfect omelet and with his friendly charm gets your day off to a great start.

This hotel was built in 1846 and renovated in the very early 21st century. I like how it feels. We're on tour and I'm very happy to pause here for a full day, no driving, maybe even get some laundry done (second floor coin laundry). Snow expected later today and tonight (this is late January 2013). I got more sleep last night than I've gotten for weeks. People here are cordial & helpful. I sat a long while this morning in a nice room off the lobby with giant windows, writing and sometimes looking over at the bare trees in the park across the street (actually that's the capitol building & grounds). I feel grateful for all the changes that have happened in Virginia since 1846. If you start to imagine life here then, you can get really sad in no time. Well, life anywhere on earth in 1846 would have been lacking nearly all the pleasures I enjoy in my daily life, not particular to Richmond. I did not come here for the history, but I do find the lingering oldness of the hotel appealing. (This is the kind of rambling that comes from insisting on a longer review when all I wanted to say was "my compliments to the chef".)

Columbia, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed at the Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel for one night during my daughter’s volleyball tournament in January 2013. The biggest take away was just how nice EVERYONE was. It didn’t matter who I came in contact with, they were helpful, courteous, and pleasant. The hotel was rather interesting. It was clearly a historic building, but the rooms were very large. We had a king suite which was extremely spacious. In fact, it probably could have used a bit more furniture to fill up the space. But overall, clean and met my expectations for what we needed – two room at a reasonable rate. The elevators could make a claustrophobic person a bit uncomfortable, but my daughter loved them and they certainly added to the historic charm. The breakfast buffet was very good, offering hot and cold items. And the omelet that James P. made us was delicious - he did a great job! We would certainly stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I stayed at the CommonWealth Park Suites Hotel and got great service from the front desk, the valet and especially the dining room staff. The room was clean and cozy, this was actually my second time staying there. Thank you to James P for a great dinner ad excellent service.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
CommonwealthPark, General Manager at Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Guest
We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. Sincerely
Mechanicsville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I had a business meeting scheduled this morning at the hotel. It was the morning of the opening session of our state legislator across the street. The entire staff with friendly, helpful and accommodating to my party's needs. James P, our wait staff, made sure that my guests were comfortable, their coffee cups never empty and our omelettes were delivered hot. I will definitely have more meetings at this location

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post a review . I will share your comments with James and the rest of the team and look forward to a future visit. We are happy that you enjoyed your trip to our Hotel.
Walpole, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Not wanting to stay with family over the holidays, my young family and I found this great place in Downtown Richmond. The location is extremely easily accessible to anywhere in the Richmond area, the rooms are VERY nice and very large, and all the employees are professional, helpful, and friendly. We'll definitely be staying here when we come home again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post a review . I will share your comments with the rest of the team and look forward to a future visit. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Marshall, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I stay here on my very frequent trips to Richmond. The rooms are nice, clean, up to date and the staff is always very helpful. The location is directly across from The Capitol grounds and is right around the corner from the restaurant district and many of the sights of Richmond. Cannot say enough about Henry at the front desk and James in the dining room! Great people. You will not do better to stay anywhere else for the price!

Room Tip: Get a room facing the Capitol Grounds.