“For what it is, a nice place to stay - large rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   901 Bank Street, Richmond, VA 23219   |
Ranked #13 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“For what it is, a nice place to stay - large rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

The start of our stay didn't go so well - we were given a smoking room that looked more like a depressing one bedroom college apartment at first. We called down to say we didn't reserve a smoking room and the woman said she'd call right back....after we realized that she wasn't we went downstairs and she was just standing around. Se also told us there were no pack n plays even thought we had confirmed one...after calling the manager we got both a nice nonsmoking room and a pnp. So I think it was more just bad service from one person.
Everyone else has been very helpful. Extra blankets were brought up more quickly than any hotel I've ever been in and the valet guy is very nice and quick.
The best by far is Mr. James P. who runs the breakfast diner on site. Excellent service: friendly, quick, and genuine. He could work anywhere he wants I'd bet but I think he really enjoys running the store here. Makes an average hotel breakfast feel one or two stars higher.
The room we got (after the first awful one) is very large with large windows and a comfortable bed.
Heat lamps in bathroom are nice.
Bedroom is separate from living and bathroom which is good since we have a toddler who naps and goes to bed before us.
We stayed here for the marathon - it's walking distance robots start and finish line which is great!

Room Tip: Ensure your room is or is not smoking before hand. If you want a view, make it known ahead of time s...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
CommonwealthPark, General Manager at Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review . I will share your comments with James and the rest of the team and look forward to a future visit.
The front desk person did call me to find the location of the pack and play. She was waiting for the valet to get back with the pack and play before calling you, and that is why your probably noticed her just standing around, as she is not supposed to leave the desk unattended at any time, though she should have called you to explain what was going on.
I am happy that you were moved to a non smoking room and enjoyed the rest of your stay.

Anshu Kapoor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Roanoke, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

For our suite from orbit for a great price. Loved our suite, felt like we took a step back in time. Loads of charm. James in the restaurant is wonderful, just as everyone says! We will stay here again next time we here

• Stayed November 2012
Columbia, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

While our room was nice, including a bidet and a towel warmer, the bidet leaked from the wall, and the towel warmer didn't work. I feel like this place was really nice at one point but fell into disrepair. Also, at times it was hard to sleep from all the street noise even on the 7th floor.

Dinner at the restaurant was mediocre (great onion rings but limited selection, and frozen hamburger patties that were still cold), but I don't blame the service staff because there doesn't seem to be much traffic through there anyway. Prices were still reasonable.

The shining star of our stay, I must acknowledge, was the buffet breakfast. The food was good, reasonably priced, and our server/chef (James P.) was pleasant and on the ball despite the number of guests all entering at once.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the North Side if you don't like street noise when sleeping.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a review . The bidet in your room had a faulty valve and was replaced. The towel warmers do take a little while to warm up because of the size. Being a downtown property we do get a fair share of ' Sounds of the CIty'. I apologize for any inconvenience.
We are happy that you enjoyed rest of your stay with us.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I needed to extend my stay in Richmond and was put off by a rate increase at the Hotel I'd booked for the original period. I needed a more economical place to stay an extra night in Richmond, and this fit the bill.

Very conveniently located, great value and perfectly comfortable. Having been to the Pub down the street, I felt like I could have been staying in London! Don't be put off by the charmingly tiny elevator, the rooms are a great size for the location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a review . I will share your comments the rest of the team and look forward to a future visit.
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Great room! Most comfortable bed I have ever slept on in a hotel. Huge rooms for downtown. Do not leave in the morning without stopping by the restaurant and meeting James! He lights up the room with his personality and bends over backwards to make sure that your breakfast is PERFECT! Thanks James!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a review . I have shared your comments with James and the rest of the team and look forward to a future visit. James joins me in thanking you for your stay.
Fredericksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We had a wonderful experience at this hotel. Location is great! The hotel employees were all so kind and friendly. Everyone was always willing to make our stay pleasant. The rooms were very large and clean. James P. made the best breakfast. He greeted us with a smile and was very attentive through the meal. The food was delicious.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

At first I didn't like it. When I got there, I had to wait for what seemed three to five minutes for a desk clerk to show up and check me in. She had been in the back room behind the front desk all that time instead of at her post. Not a good sign, especially for someone trying to check in at 8:00 PM. But aside from that one aggravation, everything went great. The man in the restaurant was closing up as I entered, but he re-opened long enough to get me something to eat and drink, which I really appreciated. I found that same courtesy and consideration from everyone I dealt with. The valet people always had my car ready when I needed it, the front desk people were very kind and helpful.

The room was plenty large enough for a single traveler and could probably have accommodated a family as well. The fan was a little noisy, but so much as to bother me at night. Everything was clean and well maintained. All in all I would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to post a review . I will share your comments with the rest of the team and look forward to a future visit. I checked with Front desk agent and she said she had gone to use the rest room. I apologize for the wait.
We are happy that you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us.
Anshu Kapoor

Been to Commonwealth Park Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!