“Nice Mid-Range Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Toronto
“Nice Mid-Range Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2008

Small, very unattractive lobby with a large flat screen TV, nonetheless
Only two elevators really far from one another, stairs even further
No restaurant on site or room service – only breakfast lounge
Do not expect any modern decor
Stayed in room 327, overlooking the main entrance and average distance to the elevator and ice machines – quiet
Unlike so many other hotels, was able to open the window – huge personal plus
They installed a thermostat, while I was there, barely even noticed
The AC itself was very quite and modern.
Stayed there a while, so I was able to move my desk right in front of the window thus creating a very appealing working space (was plenty of room for this manoeuvre)
Split washroom (shower and toilet from sink), so you don’t have to wait for each other
Great king bed
Of course, no wireless in the rooms and expensive ($.99) local calls
Be aware, that some room rates have free breakfast, while others don’t – it does not hurt to ask

• Liked — Bed
  • Disliked — Lobby, restaurant
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2008

I took my son on a trip to Kings Dominion and wanted to get into Richmond the night before. I looked for a hotel with an indoor pool (since nights were still cool) and a breakfast option. Based on reviews and past experiences I narrowed my options between this hotel and Embassy Suites. Based on price this was $30 less so I decided to give it a try. I booked online through Expedia with a deal that included breakfast.

Arrived at the hotel and check-in was immediate. Spent some time at the pool and it was just fine for a night away from home. The hotel is located off a main street that has many restaurants/grocery stores etc. Nice location if you need to get out and and eat/shop.

The hotel room was clean and everything seemed to work. Had a king bed. Room was fine for one night. If we were to spend any length of time in the room it would have been somewhat small but worked for our needs.

We went to breakfast in the AM and my son enjoyed the various options. Especially the waffles. The waitress brought us a bill and I mentioned it was included with our room. I ended up having to go to the front desk and was told that Expedia was not supposed to be offering the free breakfast offer. The friendly manager was nice and took care of the bill but was disappointed since Marriott wouldn't be reimbursed by Expedia.

So, all-in-all it was a good hotel to stay in. Much better value for our needs compared to the traditional Marriott's that are 40% more per night.

• Liked — Breakfast Included
  • Disliked — No bar
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
Springfield,NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2007

I stay in alot of hotels and I'm sorry that I don't review all of them for you guy's but this one was a must!

I went to Richmond,VA for Bus and just decided to stay on the spare of the moment, just by luck I picked this hotel and I'm so glad we did.

The bed was postioned perfect, the room was nice and clean, hallway was quiet (While I was there), and they also had a nice size indoor pool with a hot tub.

The nice 32' TV was clear with a great cd clock radio, the bathroom was also a treat with a great shower head, clean tub and non smelling toilet.

This place also has a small balcony that adds a little fantisy that your going to have an ocean view (for me anyway lol)

If you are traveling or going on Vac, look no farther, ths is the spot and oh, let me not forget about the breakfast that was mad infront of our eyes, (not everything) the eggs were great!

I took pic's and I'm going to put them up, I kind of laid stuff around a little before I took the pic's but I hope TravelAd let's them stay up, it still does this place justice. My pick for this place is an even 5 out of 5 for me :)

• Liked — Quick front desk, great location and nice clean place :)
  • Disliked — That it is not close to where I live because I would go there more often.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2007

This will sound like a complaint, but I want to emphasize that this is a very nice hotel and I will be back. Maybe the things I saw wrong were only apparent because it's such a nice hotel overall.

It's just that it looks like things might be starting to fray around the edges a little: I had to switch rooms because the A/C was broken; my daughter had to switch her room due to a running toilet; one of the two phones was broken; the end of the internet cable for my laptop was broken (no wireless here) and I had to wait a few hours for a replacement....

Other good things: location; I got a great government rate; quiet, business-traveler-oriented ambiance (lack of free breakfast, etc keeps the riff-raff out). Just don't let this place go to seed, Marriott!

Stayed August 2007
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2007

This hotel is a typical Courtyard hotel. It was clean, comfortable, and the staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfast in the lobby was great. No complaints. A good place to stay while on business.

Eric Wittkopp

• Liked — Quiet & Clean
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bowie, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2007

This is a Marriott property. At the time of our visit, there was a LARGE family reunion held at the hotel, yet everything ran smoothly enough, for us, not being members of the reunion, that it made me think this hotel must be off the charts in service under 'normal' circumstances.

We liked:

The wonderful king-sized bed
The soft sheets
The soft, squishy pillows (in fact, I asked the brand name so I can purchase some for our home)
The in-room internet access (even though we didn't use it)
The lobby interenet access (which we did use)
The full continental breakfast featuring eggs made to order and do-it-yourself waffles
The staff -- especially (and I rarely mention names) Michelle, at the front desk and Yesmine at the breastfast area.

Oh yeah, the husband loved the pool and even had it to himself for quite some time.

In fact, the only problem we had was a guest with a very loud laugh that resembled the Joker's laugh from the original Batman TV series (in fact, every time he laugh, which was all through the night, I kept replaying the music that went with it in my head). Worse, I couldn't tell where it was coming from. Despite the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept in, I didn't get much sleep and decided to complain about it early the next morning.

Without question they offered to look for another room and reminded me that switching might put me into the middle of the reunion, but they would see what they could do. They also let me know that security was on duty that night and if I had any complaint I could let them know right away.

They found another room and in the end we decided to stay in our original room, but it was great to know that they were so accommodating.

Overall, despite "the Joker" one of the best hotel stays we've had. I would definitely go there again.

Kinch

• Liked — Beds, pillows, staff, internet, location
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Stephens City, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2007

Date of stay was Thursday, June 7, 2007. Was in town for the VA Homeschool convention and no room downtown where all the action was. So I found this Marriott about 15-20 minutes away from the convention center.

Got a first floor room. Room was spotless and overall, the place was fine. Pool hours are until 11PM. We didn't know this because someone must have stolen the typical books that are left in the room to provide such details. Shame that someone felt compelled to remove this from the room. It's more of a shame that the property didn't feel a need to replace it.

The property provides a clean, restful place to sleep. That is the important thing. I'd stay here again.

Stayed June 2007

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Richmond Northwest? Share your experiences!