“Grand Dame still!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Lexington, Kentucky
“Grand Dame still!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

This was my first trip to Richmond and The Jefferson Hotel. I love staying in grand old hotels. The Jefferson met and exceeded all expectations. The room was updated and luxurious. The public areas are breathtaking. Even more importantly, the service was maybe the best I have seen, anywhere. Complimentary valet parking and shuttles are great perks. I will definately stay at The Jefferson when I am near Richmond.

Room Tip: Just ask for an upgrade!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at The Jefferson Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for your review!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Korean first
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Well my husband and I stayed here for 3 nights on a road trip. I guess 5 star hotels get their ratings for a reason. If it's for the room, then that's ok, it's not Four Seasons Hotel rooms but it's an older hotel and the room was nice. I found it small for the description I was given but overall the room was nice. Bathroom was nice. Service, well food wise and room service wise it pretty much sucked. Breakfast room service the bacon, toast, eggs, pancakes, no matter what, was cold. And I do't mean lukewarm I mean ice cold. The bacon was so hard you could break a tooth. The price was not a bargain.
Dinner in the lesser of the two restaurants was bad. The food was cold, the service not the best when the waitress was told, food is cold she shrugged and kind of implied that they have issues. The taste bad, I left my food. Truthfully, just bad food here.
Doormen were ok, front dest was nice. Overall not a 5 star hotel unless you are going on the looks which looks grand in a shabby chic sort of way.

Room Tip: I can't say I had the best room going other than a suite and it was ok if that is considered lar...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at The Jefferson Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for your review and for making us aware of the issues you encountered during your recent stay. We have reached out to you via direct message and look forward to your reply.
New Castle, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I arrived at the Jefferson very physically and emotionally exhausted.
My trip was not a vacation; I was traveling due to a health crisis in my family.
I was warmly welcomed and felt at home immediately, as I was greeted by Miranda's warm smile and reassurance of a quiet night's sleep.
The holiday season was in full swing, the hotel was decorated beautifully, and revellers were taking in the festivities... I however, just needed a good rest!
Everything about the hotel was perfect.
The quiet, the luxurious bedding, an excellent meal from room service.
It all could not have been more perfect.
Never underestimate the impact of a friendly smile, and that first impression...
A great staff and a great hotel...thanks!

• Stayed December 2012
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at The Jefferson Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are glad that we were able to assist in some small way during your travels and hope that you will return again for a more relaxing occasion.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

The ONLY place to stay when I'm in Richmond. First class, five star hotel and restaurant. Professional and courteous staff, incredible lobby, and spacious rooms...also a great location in Richmond. Nice pool and fitness facility. Would suggest to management they keep coffee out past 9am in the lobby.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review and your recommendation to keep the complimentary coffee station available beyond 9:00am on weekdays. Your suggestion has been forwarded on to our Guest Services team.
Frederick, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Oh dear...where to start? The moment I walked into the lobby (after being greeted by several staff plus the Christmas gator), I knew this was a special hotel. Every corner of the old landmark hotel was decorated for Christmas (the tree in the lower lobby was immense) in an understated, elegant way.
My room was just right-not overpowering but beautifully appointed with any comfort and ammenity I could wish for. When I found I needed an extension cord I phoned and it was brought up in a flash. Turn down service was extended by a very friendly young woman.
The driver I used while I was there (another great perk) was Roy. What a great personality he has-be sure to ask for him if you need to be taken anywhere. He has great stories of the area and some of the more memorable guests.
I loved the noon-time concerts that spontaneously erupt in the lower lobby during the holiday season. Such a nice touch.
The people at the check-in and conciege desks were there solely to make your experience a memorable one. They exceeded any expectations I had. I casually asked someone at check-out about the origin of something-not a big deal at all. She appeared to be horrified that she didn't know the answer. I assured her it was not at all important. Five or so minutes later I was sitting in a completely different area of the hotel and someone tracked me down to supply the answer to my question. That's world class service.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank for your review. We are so pleased that our staff was able to exceed your expectations.
Springfield, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Due to work my daughter, who lives in Richmond, could not come home for Christmas. My husband and I decided to surprise her and go to Richmond. We got a great Holiday package and we stayed 2 nights. The hotel is very easy to find in a great location and with ample parking. Everyone who works at that hotel is there to please you and be helpful. We were running early and called the hotel to see if they would allow us an early check in. Although it was only 10:00AM they were happy to accommodate our request. The lobby is breathtaking beautiful and the whole hotel was beautifully decorated for the holidays. We had the most amazing lunch at their Lemarie (sp) restaurant and the price was not out of this world. Room was on a corner, super quiet, free wi-fi and everything worked fine. Their gym is excellent. Very easy to find and state of the art equipment and service. We also visited the pool and the bathroom, pool and its surroundings were immaculate. My husband and I were the only ones using the pool and it was a relaxing and wonderful experience. We also had lunch and breakfast at their downstairs restaurant and the service and quality of food was equally superb at a very reasonable price. They also offer free transportation to most attractions and areas in Richmond. Their bus is very clean and modern. You might want to take advantage of this free service and leave your car at the hotel. Their grand hall (down the stairs off the lobby) was breathtaking. I stood there in amazement just thinking "this is how Heaven gets decorated for Christmas". But also, even without the decorations it is just magnificent! Yes, it is that beautiful. They were also able to accommodate a late check-out. I have been to many grand hotels in my life but The Jefferson is by far my favorite. Not sure how they did it....but everyone knew my name and greeted me with sincere appreciation. Like the old Cheers song...."sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name and they are always glad you came". Yes, this is the magnificent: The Jefferson.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a corner. The location is pretty quiet, no matter what side of the hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at The Jefferson Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for your review and for choosing The Jefferson for your holiday visit with your daughter!
Brooklyn NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Gorgeous lobby. Attentive and friendly staff. Lovely, if not totally clean, suite. Shower didnt work so well, but overall very pleasant stay. In hotel restaurants are also excellent. My partner anx I felt very comfortable and welcomed here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback on the cleanliness of your room and the shower. This has been shared with our housekeeping and engineering departments so that they can be more diligent in their daily routines. We hope that you will return again.

Been to The Jefferson Hotel? Share your experiences!