“Afternoon Tea was fabulous” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Jefferson Hotel

You added The Jefferson Hotel to your Saves list
The Jefferson Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   101 W. Franklin Street, Franklin & Adams Sts, Richmond, VA 23220   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
The Art of the Flower
Ranked #1 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Glen Allen, Virginia
“Afternoon Tea was fabulous”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

I haven't actually stayed here but we live locally and the ladies decided to get together for Afternoon Tea and to celebrate a friends birthday.
The entrance is really impressive, the doorman were opening the doors as we walked towards them. The concierge was really lovely and when we said we were here for tea he immediately called through and a waitress came to get us and show us to our seats. The Afternoon Tea is held in the lobby area, with a choice of times. There were 5 of us so we had an oversized sofa and 2 comfy armchairs. The table was laid out with lovely silverware including a cream/milk juig and sugar cube holders with mini tongs, along with jam and cream ready for the scones.. The waitress gave us all a copy of the tea menu and left us alone to choose our type of tea. My personal favourite Darjeeling was among the several choices on the menu along with Earl Grey and a local speciality. When the tea was bought out we had indiviual tea pots and little silver tea strainers to us (slightly odd as it's tea bags, but never mind). Next the goodies were bought out. There was a wrap, ham and cheese roll, chicken salad sandwich and a cucumber and dill sandwich. On the next tier were plain scones, fruit scones, chocolate covered strawberries and 2 other types of cake (1 chocolate). On the top tier were little Macaroons, a chocolate nibble and a fruit cup.

Even for 5 of us there was too muich and we had to take the rest home in a box. They gave the lady celebrating her birthday a chooclate cake and we all had a taste. It's $32 including tip and tax and we had a great time. It's definately a ladies thing as all around us were groups of women, not too close to each so we had privacy.

We took a look aorund the hotel as we are all from overseas and have a lot of guests come to stay and the decor is simply amazing, The Painting by Faulkner above the concierge is stunning, the ceiling is ornate and it's just really plush. We also had a look around 3 types of room and all I can say is I hope my husband will take me for a night for my next birthday. We had a quick look in the bar area and the cocktails were $8-$12 and a burger was £12 - no more than anywhere else.
I've worked in the travel industry for over 20 years and seen some very nice hotels, I would place this in the lower half of the best ones I have seen. It's not in a very pretty area but it has all that you need within it's walls including a small sundeck and nice pool.
The only thing I found confusing was where to park although I understand if you stay or eat there you can get free valet parking, we just parked opposite.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
JeffersonHotel1895, Public Relations Manager at The Jefferson Hotel, responded to this review, June 29, 2011
Thank you for joining us for Afternoon Tea and for sharing your wonderful descriptions!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Korean first
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

Few hotels make as grand a first impression as the Jefferson. The building is an appealing 1890s Moorish concoction and the lobby is replete with high ceilings, stained glass, and a statute of Thomas Jefferson himself. The positive vibe continues when one steps off the elevator. Halls are well-lit and bright -- something one almost never sees any more -- and housekeeping is immaculate. Our corner "superior queen" room was tastefully furnished and spacious. Nothing trendy here; everything is traditional and high-quality. The bathroom features the thick towels and high-end toiletries one would expect at a high-end hotel, along with probably the best shower water pressure I've ever experienced. Internet is free, fast, and reliable. My only quarrel with the room was that, while many hotels have improved the brightness of in-room lighting over the past decade, some may find the lighting here less than optimal for work or nighttime reading.

The Jefferson had the best-trained hotel staff of any place I've ever stayed. Staff members (including those in Lemaire, the grand dining room) were uniformly cheerful, courteous, and helpful. We did have one problem during our stay. The Jefferson hosts many weddings on weekends, and one the Sunday night of our stay over Memorial Day weekend had an exceptionally loud band. This was clear in the afternoon when the band rehearsed and we could hear it in our room approximately 50 feet and three levels above the ballroom. I made a note of the posted concluding time for the reception that night. Unfortunately, the loud band continued some time beyond the posted conclusion. I inquired to the front desk, who said they were working on the problem. The noise stopped within ten minutes. Later the next morning when we checked out, I was asked about our stay. I said it was fine, and although I wished the hotel had been quieter the previous night, the front desk responded well when I (and probably others) complained. The hotel extended further apologies and made an adjustment to my bill, even though I did not request that it do so.

Alas, unlike most five-star hotels in the USA, the Jefferson is not in a three-star, much less a five-star, neighborhood. I surmise that when the hotel was built, the surrounding area was a high-class residential neighborhood. Regrettably, historic preservation came too late for the area, which is now a no-man's land between the central business district (pretty much a dead zone except during weekday business hours) five blocks to the east and the Virginia Commonwealth University campus three blocks to the west. The principal feature of the neighborhood is surface parking lots (the Jefferson itself owns two square blocks' worth), with some institutional structures. Two blocks north is a commercial strip with an odd mixture of trendy restaurants and cafes, arts-related uses, tattoo parlors, and institutions serving the underprivileged. The area is not unsafe but also is not the most pleasant part of Richmond for taking a daytime or nighttime stroll.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
JeffersonHotel1895, Public Relations Manager at The Jefferson Hotel, responded to this review, June 15, 2011
Thank you for your review. We again apologize that the wedding festivites during your stay ran later than planned. This feedback, along with your comments about the lighting in the rooms, is very helpful to help us to continue to improve upon our guest's experiences.
Since 1895, The Jefferson has stood as a landmark of downtown Richmond and we look forward to the evolution and improvements that the neighborhood is experiencing and we hope that you will too on your next visit to the hotel.
Northeast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

This was our 3rd or 4th visit to The Jefferson so you know we like it. We took advantage of the VMFA Piccasso exhibit special which included breakfast plus tickets and transportation to and from the Museum. One of the extraordinary services of the Jefferson is their complimentary chauffeur service to/from restaurants, museums, places of interest. So driving and parking in a strange city is never an issue. We also had dinner in their lovely upscale restaurant one night and enjoyed everything. The breakfasts are exceptional. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet; some views are not scenic.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for continuing to return to The Jefferson and for mentioning the recent Picasso exhibit at the VMFA. The exhibit got rave reviews from all of our guests and we hope that you will consider returning for the soon to be announced Faberge exhibit package this summer!
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Stayed here for a wedding. Loved the decor, loved the room, although it was quite small it was fine for a one-night stay. I would definitely need something larger if staying for business or for more than 18 hours. Food was good, event was beautiful, but the surrounding neighborhood left much to be desired. Even the staff discouraged us against walking to a restaurant for safety reasons. Overall very nice!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
ocean city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

We had such a special time at The Jefferson. Everything was perfect. It should be a textbook for hospitality. We stayed on night and ate at TJ's twice. Excellent food and service. It was hard to leave the hotel, we will return.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing The Jefferson!
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways...The Jefferson Hotel is just spectacular. I have stayed once before years ago and it is even better than I remember. This hotel is just breathtaking from the moment you pull up. The lobby, well, takes my breath away. Grand, rich, sophisticated but so friendly and down to earth, the staff always makes you (and your pet) feel like royalty. There was high tea in progress when I arrived and a wedding so it was bustling and had a happy vibe. Florist and salon inside hotel, how neat! Room was beautiful and well appointed, bathroom luxurious with a nice tub (photos taken from phone do NOT do it justice!). Room service was good but could have been better, I had the vegetable fusilli and the mushroom soup which was on the salty side but delicious and the presentation and luxurious feel of it made me feel like I was in a 5 star restaurant (I would have to have other dishes to give a more accurate review of the food). Wish I had a room with a better view (looked onto "roof" below and at backside of hotel rooms), will request one next time. Thoroughly enjoyed my walks around the area with my dog, the architecture is just stunning. I just LOVE this place (can you tell?) and I will route all my road trips through here from now on. The Jefferson is not inexpensive, I stayed in a Superior Queen @ $365 with no pet fee. Valet @ $16.

Room Tip: Ask for room with a view.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit and look forward to your return. Thank you for taking time to post your review!
Princeton,NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

Now our 5th stay here as it is a convenient stop-over on the trip down I95.
Just as every other time, not only no complaints, but treated extremely well. Great room. Exemplary service from concierge and also van driver who gave us a ride to/from our choice of evening restaurant (a free service and very welcome during a long drive to not have to sit behind the wheel and search for parking).
This time Brent was a great start to our visit, showing the world how a hotel reception should be run.
By the way, visit the pool, which is a hidden gem and just as impressive as the other public spaces in the hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
JeffersonHotel1895, Public Relations Manager at The Jefferson Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2011
Thank you for recognizing our valued team members. We will look forward to having you back with us during your next road trip down I-95.

Been to The Jefferson Hotel? Share your experiences!