“"Glad we went"” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Key Largo
“"Glad we went"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Thoroughly enjoyed Julep's from the food to the ambiance and the friendly and accommodating staff. We were late for our reservation because we got a little lost. The directions from mapquest were a little confusing ( F.Y.I. turn at the open market). We called and the gal answering the phone was very helpful in directing us to the right location and saved our reservation. The waiter was very helpful in helping us decide on our entree choice. We found this restaurant through Restaurants.com and was able to get a deal on a gift certificate. and yes, next time in Richmond would return again.

• Visited June 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

New Jersey
“Top 10 meal of all-time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

My wife and I had a 2 night stop over in Richmond on our way to Asheville, NC. We used tripadvisor's site to get some ideas of where to go for dinner. We decided on Julep's after reading some of the reviews and looking at the menu on their website. We couldn't have made a better choice. For anyone who's never been to Richmond, I can tell you that the Shockoe Bottom section of Richmond can be- shall we say- a little dicey at night. Even the guide books tell you to be careful walking around at night. But since it was a random Monday, we found parking right in front and the streets were pretty empty.
I STRONGLY recommend reservations. Even though it was a Monday, a party had reserved the entire top floor, and there were just a few (full) tables on the main level with the bar. Our only options were to wait 2 hours, or to sit at the bar. We decided on the bar, and were rewarded by a GREAT meal and GREAT service by our server/ bartender Ben. Despite being swamped with drink orders from the party upstairs, he was able to remain attentive and friendly with us, making menu and drink recommendations, and making small talk. I ordered the seafood Bouillabaisse at his suggestion, and I can honestly say it was one of the top 10 meals I've ever had, and by far the best seafood dish. My wife ordered the beef tenderloin and was also very impressed and happy with her dish. Our appetizers were fried green tomatoes and the pork belly and watermelon salad. An odd pairing that worked to perfection. It was a great dining experience. Don't forget to order the signature drink- the namesake of the place!
As an aside, my wife and I are from the NYC area and have eaten at high end restaurants in NYC, Boston, Chicago, Las Vegas and San Diego. This meal could go toe to toe with any of the meals we've had at these other locations!

• Visited May 2011
Asbury Park, New Jersey
“Excellent Food and Excellent Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

We were a party of four who hadn't seen each other in a while. We drove up to valet parking, and as soon as we got out, and a wait person saw a camera, he asked if he could take pictures of the four of us. This was the beginning of an evening of outstanding food and service. We shared two appetizers and two salads and the shrimp/grits were outstanding as were the fried green tomato beignets of which we ordered two portions. The entrees were also very good, including the crab cakes and steak. My husband thought the martinis were very good after sending back the first one which he said was a little watery; no questions asked, and the next two, he said, "Were perfect." We also split the bananas foster, which was good, but the bitter chocolate pecan pie tart was superb. We spent about three hours there, and were made to feel welcome the entire time. Coming from NY, we felt the prices were in accordance with the quality of the food, ambiance and wait service. We thought it was the best restaurant we ate at in Richmond, and the other two were on the top ten list for Tripadvisor. Wholeheartedly recommend.

• Visited April 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New Hampshire
“Great food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2011

Walked in on a Thursday night in April. Because we were early in arriving they could accommodate us upstairs. My husband loved his shrimp and grits. Neighborhood a bit dicey but wonderful food.

• Visited April 2011
Richmond, Virginia
“This place had ME eating GRITS!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2011

I can't stand grits. Maybe I have not ate them prepared properly....but I hate grits. But for some odd reason I was tempted to try the Shrimp and Grits today. I was shocked and amazed by the great flavor...as well as the texture prepared here. My spouse had the Lump Crab Cakes....and those were just as flavorful. The food here is very good, and despite the smaller portion sizes...it feels you up! The Banana Foster made me speechless. I thought the price was slightly above where it should be, but having me eat grits....was priceless. I suggest calling in reservation...especially for the weekend.

Hint: Avoid the table under the stairs!!

• Visited February 2011