“We Loved Forte Village” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Forte Village Resort - Il Villaggio

You added Forte Village Resort - Il Villaggio to your Saves list
Forte Village Resort - Il Villaggio
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   SS 195 Km 39,600, I-09010 Santa Margherita di Pula, Pula, Sardinia, Italy   |
Oxford, United Kingdom
“We Loved Forte Village”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

As many of us do we read the reviews before we arrived and made the decision as a family to make our own minds up. Can I suggest anyone reading these reviews should do exactly that.
Forte Village has everything you desire for a family holiday, excellent accommodation, great beaches, clean well maintained pools and above all and most importantly fantastic staff.
From the guy sweeping the leaves in the immaculately kept grounds to the manager of the hotel, we always received the same friendly welcome and not just on day one but every day.
There are great facilities for the kids and all in a safe and secure environment where they were able to roam freely, how relaxing is your holiday when the kids are kept busy
I read other blogs and am surprised at some of the comments, yes it is 7 euros for a beer and yes some of the activities are a little expensive, this is a 5 star resort !
Where else can you play football at the Chelsea academy in beautiful sunshine or rugby with the likes of Austin Healy and Will Greenwood ( not sure they are there all summer !)
Lets be fair you fellow bloggers out there do you honestly expect UK prices ? Forte Village pricing is no different to most top European resorts, anyone been skiing lately ?
So in summary, we as a family would absolutely recommend Forte Village,the staff made our holiday very special and we would go back tomorrow.
My advice "TRY IT" to believe it don't take others views as the reality..
We loved Forte Village and will be very surprised if you don't.
Happy Holidays.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

We have just returned from a holiday at the Forte Village Resort in Sardinia and no wonder it was voted World best resort for 14 years.
My husband first heard about it when he attended a football related event where the hotel was promoted as he works in the industry so we decided to try it.
We booked a family bungalow accomodation in Hotel Il Villaggio.We loved the room - clean, attractive and with a lovely patio outside.
We also heard about the various sports academis at this Resort and as this holiday was supposed to be a treat for our 7 and 10 years old boys,the Chelsea football academies were a main reason for choosing this holiday.
The footbal camp runs daily with training in the morning and a match in the late afternoon. Kitted and booted in Chelsea gear bearing their names and favorite numbers on the boys trained hard with the Chelsea coaches who put the boy through their places daily. With football on the agenda daily, it gave you quite a lot of time to enjoy the sun and wonderful beach.
The boys had lots to do besides football as this resort offers so much in terms of activites in a well organized kids club. We are not the sort to leave them there all day but it was handy knowing the boys could go and come as they wish and so as they wish...for a change!!!
We tried lots of holidays with kids, we were dining each night in a different restaurants as there are so many and riding around the place on the bikes was fun too for the whole family. We were happy to know the boys are safe as this is a residents only resort and made us feel very safe.
We must praise also the resident doctor who attended our younger boy one evening who he was complaining with a temperature. The doctor is permanently on site and was available within minutes of calling reception. We had to pay for the service even though it was more of an attention seeker from our boys rather then an actual problem but the assurance of having an on site doctor 24/7 is a great plus for this place.
Definetly going back next half term.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

I picked this hotel because I wanted an extra special family holiday by a beautiful beach without putting my kids through the hassle of a long haul flight. It was everything I could have wanted it to be. expensive, yes but absolutely worth it.

It's rare to come across such a beautiful place without any of the snootiness I normally associate with luxury. The staff were all so lovely and kind and fantastic with the kids. our bungalow was great (I know there are smarter bits of accommodation there but it was perfect for us) and there was so much to do I could have stayed much longer. We all loved the buffet breakfasts and dinners and were so impressed by the food, both traditional and innovative Italian pastas and endless puddings and vats of fruits and seafood, meat and vegetables.

My kids are 5 and 2 so too young for the rugby and football camps but the loved the kids club. parents are welcome to leave their children or stay and play along, the latter suiting us. the ladies running it were delightful and lots of fun. We split our time between the lovely beach, the many pools (my son loved the water slides) the football pitches and the kids club.

The hotel has wonderful grounds, all kept beautifully and you can walk, cycle or jog around, or flag a golf cart.

I wish I had the money to visit again and again - it was probably the best week of my life!

Stockholm, Sweden
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

Not that I have been to that many, but I have read enough about luxury resorts and experienced more than decent accommodation to have high expectations when it comes to a so called (or should I say self proclaimed?) "luxury resort". If this is, as several guides mention, one of the best luxury resorts in the world, I definitely do not want to test the others.

Luxury to me means outstanding quality, excellent service, good taste and refinement. At Forte Village, you get none of this. Yet it is true the website is misleading. Browse through it, dream about grandeur, and then forget all your expectations - the place is nothing like it brags to be. At least I cannot deny Forte Village has a good comunication agency and web design team, the problem is I never, not a single minute, “shared the Sardinian love of life at the world’s leading resort”, as is promised on the homepage. The place is passé, and for all I love Italy, I cannot believe this fabricated, ageing piece of architecture should ever be included on Sardinia's touristic heritage.

Poor service starts at the reception, with staff lacking professionalism and mastery of basic English. The girl in charge of welcoming guests to the conference held that week end was left gapping in despair at such a simple question as "Can we park our car inside the resort?". Hum... Upon being handed out the key to our room, we were suggested to take the Village's train there, as if we were unable to walk the 200m separating the reception from our “house” (or whatever fancy name that might be called). The house in itself was just fine - although awfully cold - but nowhere close the luxury promised. When I say fine, that is of course if you forget about the band singing loud and dancing in the nearby shopping/entertainment area at the centre of the village, in a desperate attempt to entertain the slightly tipsy crowd of 10 in suits and dresses. Luckily enough, that was over by 11pm, just after our failed attempt to take a stroll by the villages’ beach - we ended up walking along walls and barbed wires instead.

Once you are settled and ready to explore the surroundings, you might think you well deserve to relax at the sauna,spa, or maybe play tennis or golf ? Be warned that in that case you have to be prepared to spend outrageous amounts of money in everything - the exact figures escape me but it was well over what you would be ready to spend in the most luxurious hotel in Paris or New York say. The only activity that is free (at least at the time of writing, who knows if a fee will be charged to tread down the village’s ground with running shoes) is actually running in “the world’s leading green resort”, an idyllic homage to nature”. Do not get worked up here, as if you follow their advice you will be trotting up and down the miserable 3 kilometre loop on the paved path in the village. How can Forte Village claim to be a leading green resort then ? If you really want to run, just walk outside the prison door and head free to the nearby mountain.

When it comes to food, I tasted breakfast - decent but again nowhere near the wow effect you expect from luxury places - and only took a brief look at the menu suggestions handed out at the reception. My advice would in any case be : bring your own food if you do not want to spend undecent amounts of money. I ended up wondering if they had special daily deliveries from the remotest parts of the world, as a justification for the high prices. Or you can take a car and drive outside : we found that lovely village just 20 minutes North of the village, and enjoyed delicious pizzas and ice creams, in a medieval setting.

A “Unique experience” they say on the website ? Sure, for me it will remain the only one, and I will make sure none of my friends visiting Sardinia stay at that place. I will recommend them to book at Cagliari’s lovely La Ghirlanda B&B instead, and will do so myself next time.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Nottinghamshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

I read some of the negative reviews before our holiday to the Forte Village and will try to make mine as positive as possible, but the reality was that this "World Exclusive Resort" was lacking in some areas and prohibitively expensive.
The gardens and grounds were beautiful and kept fantastically. The resort was clean and once you got used to where things were, well laid out. The beach was also lovely, although we prefered it down the far end where there were less sun loungers and more space for sandcastle making with the kids! We stayed in Il Villagio and our parents were upgraded on arrival to the Hotel Pineta. Both rooms were fine, but not what I would call 4 or 5 star. The only real difference between the 2 was that the bed in Hotel Pineta was of a much better quality, as was the furniture (our bed was as hard as a rock!) but I wouldnt have paid extra for the Hotel Pineta as we werent in our rooms much anyway. Cleaning wasnt great - and cleaners did not clean every day - the cleaners left our door wide open one night whilst we were at dinner which we werent very pleased about - we thought we had been broken into when we returned - they had only popped in to leave towels.
We ate most nights at La Pineta as it was one of the 2 restaurants we were "allowed" to eat at without a supplement or reservation. There was lots of food on offer and it was all delicious, wine and water and kids drinks were included..... but thats where the "included bits stopped"...
Which leads me to the main disappointment of the holiday... the prices! Blimey, if you have money to waste then go to the forte village! All the wonderful things we had told the kids about (their own restaurant with a train, tennis club, go karting, rugby, football) were prohibitively expensive. If you wanted to send your kids to the football academy it was an extra 300E per child and you had to commit to the whole week, same with the tennis. Our kids love tennis, but when I asked to book - they said that it wasnt on. A 2 hour horse ride was 220E per person.We spent an hour in leisure land and spent nearly 100E. The kids could go to the special childrens restaurant for an extra 16E each... just for pasta!
For adults, the gym was 90E a day and the spa was over 100E a day plus a 45 min treatment was 160E. It was a shame because whilst we could afford to go to such a lovely hotel, we felt like we were being ripped off for things that we would normally expect to be included and the expensive things were no better than what we could get at home. Lunch each day was approx 120E (for a small sea bream, 2 bowls of pasta and fries) and we didnt eat in any of the other restaurants because the supplements were ridiculous (100E each for the Gordon Ramsay one). There was no clear guide on what type of food each of the other restaurants provided. I am sorry to go on about money... I didnt mind paying for things, but the agent, and the forte village web site say nothing of the additional costs for EVERYTHING, which for the super rich families, may be fine, but for most people would spoil their holiday, as it did ours. When I went to ask for a price list (as nothing was provided to give us a guide when we arrived) I mentioned that the prices of things meant my children couldnt do the things they had wanted... I was told "Well, this is a World Exclusive Resort Madam".... nice!
Also, you could have been anywhere! There was nothing reflecting the Sardinian culture, no little shops for the kids to spend their money in (again, all designer shops at designer prices), the music was great... but all popular chart songs (except the trio who played at breakfast who were wonderfully cheesy and a breath of fresh air). When I left the resort and could actually see the Sardinian landscape it was much better.

The staff in general were very friendly,helpful and cheery. although the Italian holidays end on 31st August and the number of staff in the restaurants dropped noticably, as did the service. Sadly in the week that we were there we met only one family who actually smiled and spoke to us, and we certainly felt rather out of place. The hotel prices once at the resort are clearly aimed at the super rich, but sadly the reality of it is that the resort is not any better than those of much less cost.
If you are willing to spend £4500 to get there, be prepared to spend at least another £2000 once there if you want to try everything on offer.
In summary, if you had blindfolded me and dropped me in the Forte Village the only things that would have told me it was a world exclusive resort were the prices and the people. I dont mind paying for luxury, but I won't be ripped off, and I won't be returning again.

I hope people find this helpful and am sorry it had to be so negative.

Room Tip: If you pay more, you get a better bed. Family Bungalows were more than suitable for family of 4.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

Forte Village is a famous resort, and unless you have wanted to stay at this "branded" resort, then it is not really good value. A few observations on our stay for 7 days:
- it is a very very big old hotel/appartment/Villa complex (30 years old or so) and while they have done a good job at trying to keep it modern and up to date, it shows its age
- based on our experience, it caters first to Russians, then to Italians, then to English, with a few other nationalities (e.g. the signs are all in Italian, English and Russian)
- There are a lot of things to do ("Chelsea" branded football camp, go karts, climbing wall, bike rental, water sports etc). Perhaps more than any other place we have been to. Some are expensive (e.g. Chelsea Soccer camp is Euro 300 for a week, bikes euro 35 per day)
- The beach is very nice (good sand, clear water)
- They have some issues with capacity in Summer (e.g. all the beach chairs are taken by 9am with the famous "towels" - note that if you stay in Il Villagio you are a little bit like the 2nd class citizen where the front row beach chairs are reserved for the higher paying hotel guests, so you get to be in line 2 or 3 if you get a chair)
- the service is good for italy, but nothing like US service levels (a 3-4 star level by US standards); however, this is very good for italy!
- the food is mixed quality - we loved the buffets, but the restaurants were so-so quality. Worth noting you need to make you reservations for restaurants as soon as you arrive for the whole week.
- most things seem to shut for lunch (e.g. the watersides are shut for lunch!)

All is all, if you have independent kids and want a beach holiday with lots of things to do, then it is great. If you want an upmarket Club Med in Europe it is great. If you are looking for a Four seasons, the level of modernity and quality of service will probably be lacking, especially given the very high prices for the hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
stratford upon avon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

We have just returned from the best family holiday we have ever had courtesy of 'Super skills' travel and Forte village. We went with our children 11 and 8 and hoped the resort would be great for either us or the kids. They had their best holiday ever with the facilities, food, beach and activities only just outdone by the amazing experience of spending a week with Austin Healey and Will Greenwood and Will's dad Dick (another England legend) learning rugby skills. We had at least as great a time as the kids meeting fantastic people and new friends. Rooms are simple but fine, food is great and varied. It's not cheap but we have stayed in many '5 star' forgettable resorts but we will remember and talk about this holiday for a long time!

Room Tip: negotiate the rooms vary a fair amount
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Been to Forte Village Resort - Il Villaggio? Share your experiences!