“If you’re an animal lover, this is a great place to visit” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Austin, Texas
12 attraction reviews
“If you’re an animal lover, this is a great place to visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

My 7 year old daughter and I took a trip to the Exotic Zoo Resort. This place was very easy to find. It was just off Hwy 281, just north of Johnson City.

These comments are from my daughter:

This place has lots of animals that you can feed. Our tour guide was Tammy, and she told us that there were over 500 animals on the property, including the geese and other birds. Tammy took us on a tour in a wagon pulled by a tractor, and she told us facts along the way about each of the animals we saw. You could hand feed every single animal there (you could not feed the birds and zebras by hand because they bite). We saw zebras, ostriches, Scottish cows, goats, llamas, bison, emus, rheas (a type of bird), a bunch of different types of deer, kangaroos, yaks, camels, tortoises, and sheep.

When we arrived, we met a customer who had stayed at the resort , and he suggested that we buy 2 buckets of feed because they had run out of feed in the middle of the tour. So, we bought two buckets ($6 each), two for me, and none for my mom. My mom also bought me a mini-scope (like binoculars) and a whistle made from the tip of a deer antler.
We had a little time before the tour started, so we walked to the back area of the store. On our way to the petting zoo area, we saw some baby rheas in the back room. I thought the baby rheas were super cute.

We then walked to the very back area, where the petting zoo was. It was a big area with lots of animals. I was one of the only people there, so I was very popular with the animals. I thought the petting zoo was very fun because I could feed and pet lots of animals. The small llama was my favorite and my second was the kangaroo. My mom’s favorite was the baby white goats and the Scottish cow.

Finally, it was time for the tour. The tour was great because I could pet and feed a lot of animals. The best place to sit in the wagon is in the back, towards the left side (looking forward). The tour does get a bit dusty, so plan for it. For cows and bison, this is how you feed them – you take a handful of feed and put your hand above their face. The cow/bison will look up and stick its tongue out and you just drop the food in its mouth. Tip: Get an empty cup from the store so you can dump the food more easily in their mouths. Next, we saw the ostriches. The ostriches were 9 feet tall, and when I was trying to feed one of the males, he tried to take the entire bucket o from my hands, and I had to pull it back from the ostrich’s grasp. This also happened when my mom fed the ostrich. We learned that the best way to feed an ostrich is to tilt the bucket towards the ostrich, so he can peck at the food easily.
I still had about ½ bucket of feed by the end of the tour, which I used at the petting zoo. The animals were very excited at the sight of food!

The petting zoo area was dusty and “goat poopy”. So, don’t wear sandals unless you aren’t bothered by such things . They have picnic areas in the back, but be careful because the goats jump on the tables. There is also a large picnic area in the front – reserved for birthday parties.
Just before we had lunch, my mom noticed three tortoises next to the petting zoo area. At the very back of the picnic area, we also saw some ponies. And, there was also a very hungry, handsome camel, which we fed.

My Comments:

This is a wonderful place to visit with your children. We picked a nice day to go with beautiful spring weather welcoming us. The place was not busy at all on this Monday after Easter. The highlight of my day was seeing the zebras and bison. I also enjoyed seeing the animals galloping towards the wagon, especially the llamas. We spent about 3 hours there, including a picnic lunch. The picnic area also included a swing set that my daughter enjoyed.

Bryan, Texas
14 attraction reviews
“An amazing trip with family and friends”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

We did not stay the night at the cabins but we came to the zoo as a surprise trip for my daughter's birthday. The tour was so worth the drive we made and the animals are super friendly. There was one camel that pretty much followed us the entire tour and a bison that constantly wanted to lick our hands. GREAT TRIP!!.. If you have kids or teenagers you must visit this place. I would say tho that it is probably better to go when it is warmer and not so windy because it got a little tricky when the wind blew.

Fort Worth, Texas
10 attraction reviews
“Didn't stay in cabins this time, but loved the tour and plan to stay next time.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2010

My husband and I went on the tour and petting zoo and loved it. You get to hand feed many animals from the wagon - zebra, camel, goats, cows, deer, elk, ostrich, and others. The tour guide was great stopping for feeding and pictures and telling us about the animals along the way. We passed by the cabin area and it looked really fun. It had a swimming pool and play area and was right in the middle of the animal area. The petting zoo area was full of goats, deer, and elk. Plan to go back and stay in the cabins.

Corpus Christi, TX
“Didn't stay here, but loved the tour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

On our way home today, we were looking for any random place to pull over and stretch our legs. When we passed this place, we were like "What??"

So we pulled over and got out to see what it was all about, and at that very moment a tour was leaving. They asked if we wanted to come along, so we did. $12 for Mom and Dad, and our 1-year old was free, plus $6 for a bucket of food. Great tour. The minute we hopped on the caged-in hayride trailer, a giant camel made this super loud hilarious noise. That pretty much set the tone for the whole trip. The camel, buffalos, ostriches, and some of the goats were the highlights for us. All very fun to feed. We thought our 16-month old daughter would be terrified, but not at all. Just mystified. Petting zoo wasn't bad either, but we didn't have a ton of time to explore it.

We didn't stay there, but we really liked the looks of the cabins, pool, and playground. I hope we can return sometime and make a weekend out of it. Really, it's not that much more than a normal motel room, but the view of all the animals is magnificent. The cabins are literally in the middle of the range area, not tucked away out of sight.

We'll be back.

Fort Lauderdale, Fl.
3 attraction reviews
“The Exotic Resort Zoo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2009

We saw several different types of exotic animals, and hand fed them!! Yes We hand fed all of them.. Best time to go is in the morning, animals are wide awake and hungry for treats. We saw and fed Zebras, Buffalo, Reindeer, Cows, elk, camels, sheep, goats, baby goats (be careful they like to eat your shirt sometimes more than the food...) Don't wear white!! This place is a MUST SEE if you like animals and want to be close up. Warning, there is a lot of slobber.... Joke.... The staff is outstanding, and you can't beat the cheap price $10 for adults, A STEAL>> Huge buckets of food are 6$.. We got two buckets.. We absolutely loved it. We did not stay in a cabin. That is a little more pricey. We can't review them. This is in Johnson city, Not far from San Antonio.

Please review places you see and things you do. We can all benefit from this site if we all contribute.. If something isn't listed add it... Thanks, J.