“Centro is uncertain-o” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Chicago, Illinois
“Centro is uncertain-o”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

There is no real reason for you to go to downtown Lowell, MA or anywhere near it. If you are stuck in the area, one of your better options for dinner before you escape is Centro. But it comes with a few caveats.

First, the pluses. Service was well done. I had an experienced server who was also supporting a trainee. She only paid me a few visits but I watched her with other tables. She was in good hands with the experienced server and he did a nice job with her. My server allowed me to dine at my own snail’s pace since I was alone and in no hurry. He was knowledgeable of the menu and wine list and, basically, was spot on as a server.

The menu, according to my server, was but a week or so new. An eclectic and interesting variety of options including vegetarian. Though I was leery of the cheeseburger spring rolls. Really? As a vegetarian, I would never order them, but just the name and subsequent description was off-putting. They are labeled as Mediterranean, but one look at the menu and you will discount that immediately. Nacho’s?

I had the watermelon salad which was well executed. Watermelon salads are all the rage and proper prep is key. A nice balance of flavors, perfect dressing to compliment and good portion sized. I had the Cotes du Rhone rose with the salad.

They offer a variety of “flatbread” pizzas. Don’t be fooled, they are anything but. It is a pizza, round, plain and simple. For me, a flatbread should be long, rectangular, nice thin crust and the toppings dominate. This was a round, Neapolitan style pizza. And not well prepared. I had the eggplant which, by the description, hit all the right notes. When it arrived, I was disappointed by the look and presentation. The sparse ingredients gave way to an excessive amount of cardboard crust. The limited aforementioned toppings were massed in the middle of this round pie, leaving 1-2 inches of dry, crumbling, flavorless crust around the outside. Cut into triangles, 1-2 regular bites and the topping is gone. I did have a few flavorful bites but they were far too limited and lost on the crust. An “A” for the idea of the combination of toppings an “F” for everything else. I had a Sauvignon Blanc from Chile which was a saving grace for the chalky crust.

Don’t even think of the hamburger pizza. It’s bad enough they put it in a spring roll.

The wine list is ok, nothing exceptional. A few decent international whites by the glass. But the reds by the glass are way too domestic and pedestrian.

I did not stay for dessert.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Methuen, Massachusetts
“Hot and Steamy in Lowell, MA ;-)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

On the hottest day of the year, we brought 7 of us out to dinner on a Friday evening prior to a downtown concert. The drinks were cool and the service was cooler! Jake, our waiter, was very attentive and totally 'knew his stuff'. From articulating the specials of the day to offering recommendations to the satisfaction of all, Jake was always concientious and never overly present. The food was outstanding; from the gazpacho to the Thai Grilled Shrimp, Ribeye special and Watermelon & Feta salad to the chocolate mousse, homemade ice cream sandwich, Peaches 'n Cream and the 'Adult' Rootbeer Foat - everyone thoroughly enjoyed their choices. We enjoyed our dining experience at Centro immensely and highly recommend this bistro-style, aquatic-colored, soothing atmosphere-inspired establishment to all. We'll be back!

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dix Hills, New York
“The place to eat in Lowell!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in Lowell two nights and had dinner both nights at Centro. What a find! The staff was fun and on top of things....thank you Rhonda & Jake! The food was wonderful. The owner chef was accommodating and the atmosphere was comfortable. Everything was prepared exactly as requested. I wish I lived closer. I would definitely be a regular.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Concord, Massachusetts
“Great First Time... Won't Be Our Last”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We learned about Centro via TripAdvisor and decided to check it out.
They do take reservations which is important as there are not more than about a dozen tables.

The hostess and server could not have been more pleasant. Service was very prompt and the salmon and risotto were as good as it gets. Menu was not extensive but a nice variety of beef, seafood, chicken and vegetarian. Burgers and appetizers for those looking for lighter fare and prices were moderate. Noise level was good on a saturday night, and lighting was perfect. On street meter parking and $3 municipal lot is a block away.

Among the very best Lowell has to offer! We'll become regulars.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Boxford, Massachusetts
“Would definitely come back.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We decided to have dinner here because it is walking distance to the Merrimack Repertory Theatre. We arrived at six without a reservation and were seated promptly. The waitress was attentive but never made us feel rushed. I had the sauteed chicken and wild mushrooms which was very tasty. My friend had a hamburger and fries which looked great. Service was excellent.

• Visited April 2013