“An oasis, tranquil atmosphere, healthy fare, fabulous restroom too !” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Life Alive

Ranked #1 of 215 Restaurants in Lowell
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Organic, Vegetarian, Vegan
NH
“An oasis, tranquil atmosphere, healthy fare, fabulous restroom too !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I've been to Life Alive about five times now, for lunch and dinner. I follow a whole food diet and avoid refined starches, sugars and fats, meat and dairy as much as possible. I've lost weight and feel terrific, however, eating at restaurants is difficult. I usually look over the menu thinking to myself "which choice will do the least damage to my body...". Life Alive is a refreshing change, an oasis of healthy and delicious food. I can choose nearly anything on the menu that appeals to me and have no fear - it's all whole natural food. Everything is served fresh. They have great salads, wraps and "bowls" which are warm mixtures of beans, veggies and/or tofu or sprouts served over various whole grains or noodles. The sauces and dressings they use are absolutely fantastic.

The only thing I don't like is their smoothies; I make better ones at home with my Vitamix. I think they would benefit by getting a better blender as the smoothies are usually a bit lumpy and would also be better if they were served well-chilled. I ilke to use frozen fruit and sometimes a few ice cubes to make great smoothies. This is the only reason I'm withholding the 5th star in my rating.

Overall, this place is fabulous and I will keep going back. It's worth going there just to use the restroom which is so comforting to enter (and use) you won't believe it until you see it.

I've been bringing friends there and have converted one to a whole food diet, partly based on the food at Life Alive!

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Tewksbury, Massachusetts
“A Real Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Let me start off by saying that I am not a vegan or vegetarian by any means, but this is one of my favorite places to eat in Lowell. Located right in the heart of downtown, you could spend the day at the various museums or the national park and walk on over for a filling, healthy meal. Honestly, there have been times when I've just gone into Lowell just for a meal here (it's a very short walk from the Market Street garage).

I have never tried anything at Life Alive that I didn't like, though my favorites are The Lover and The Goddess. There is also an extensive drink selection of juices, teas, smoothies, and coffees. There are even a few food choices especially for the pickiest of eaters: children. Occasionally, there will be little snacks at the counter -- once, I picked up a version of chocolate cups (think "Reese's" only much, much better) that I still think about fondly. So, in short, the food is excellent, and you can't go wrong, even if you just close your eyes and point to a selection.

The atmosphere is amazing, as well. There is always an inspirational quote written on a big chalkboard behind the counter, which sets the whole vibe of the place. Colorful, eclectic, cheerful... I don't think it's possible to leave in a bad mood.

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New Hampshire
“A Healthy Delight!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I just had dinner with my husband at Life Alive in Lowell and enjoyed it very much. They have a very innovative organic meal which you can order in either a wrap or a bowl. There were many choices on the menu so there was something (vegetarian) for everyone. I had a wrap called "The Innocent" which had corn, carrots, broccoli, almonds, brown rice,quinoa all topped with a yummy sauce. There are about a dozen choices of smoothies and both the one that I ordered and my husbands were delicious. My smoothie had banana,mango,pineapple,coconut oil,ive cream, and chai almond milk. We will definately return to this restaurant again.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Billerica, Massachusetts
“Everything is wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I could eat here every day; I think some people do. We are regulars; we eat here about once a week. We eat something different every time. There are so many wonderful dishes. All are quite filling. Most restaurants have 2 - 4 dishes that I like; this place has over a dozen. They all have funky names like The Healer, The Lover, or The Adventurer. And then there are the smoothies. My favorite is Coconut Alive (because I really like coconut). This is the only restaurant that I'll ever say this about: check out the bathroom.

• Visited August 2012
Boston,MA
“Oh, yum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

That about sums it up. Oh yum. it's a funky little place in Lowell. Kinda groovy. You go up to the counter to order and pay for your food, attended by friendly, helpful staff. Then you have a seat at one of the painted tables and someone will call out your name and bring you your yummy food!

There are full size bowls, wraps, or 'demis'. I've only ever had a demi which is plenty of food for lunch. If I went for dinner, I might get a full size meal. I was here two weeks ago and I had "The Lover," which was, and I quote, "wild and meaty shiitake mushrooms, shredded carrots & beets, broccoli, & dark greens smothered in our Ginger Nama Shoyu sauce over brown rice." This was so good I want more every day!

I am not a vegetarian. You might not expect the meals here to be satisfying, just looking over the menu. But they are hugely satisfying and delicious! you should go here!

• Visited July 2012