“Barely Average” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Sushi, Asian
New England
“Barely Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

Place was almost empty when we went in. Waitress scolded my wife for pulling a chair over to place her large purse on. We moved to a larger table and a new waitress came over. She tried to be helpful but was pretty clueless as to the menu. Tam Yum and Hot and Sour soup below average. Scallion pancakes ok. Tuna Tataki ok. My wife had some type of seafood/vegetable stir fry which seemed to be a conglomeration of leftover stuff. ? maybe a lot of MSG because I had aftertaste for over 12 hours. Food felt like lead in stomach all night. Prices good but if food no good what's the point? We drove a distance to get here due to good reviews on TA but could have saved the gas and gotten better food at the local Chinese takeout.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

69% Recommend
Lowell
“The best Sushi you will ever find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

My husband and I visit this restaurant at least once a month. I know Sushi - once you try it at Etsogo, you will never go anywhere else. One of my favorite dishes if I'm not having Sushi is the "Asam fish filet" it is to die for, a bit spicy but incredible. To me it is always difficult to choose. My husband is not a Sushi person, his favorite dish is Basil Beef, he has tried a variety of other dishes as well. Never been disappointed.

They offer wine and beer at reasonable prices. The staff is very friendly without being intrusive.

If you are traveling to downtown Lowell to an event at MRT, Boarding house park, etc. this is one place not be missed, especially if you are a Sushi lover and if not all the other disher are incredible as well.

• Visited September 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ayer, Massachusetts
“I'd visit Lowell to eat here again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

Looking for dinner prior to a concert, my sister and I were scouting the area. She wasn't a sushi fan, but could handle Asian, and I like sushi and love Asian, so when we found Etsogo, we stepped in. It was a quiet evening (5:45?) for them. We were quickly seated, and dawdled over the extensive pan-Asian menu. I ordered tempura shrimp sushi - I'd enjoyed it at another restaurant a few weeks earlier and was eager to see another sample. My sister ordered asparagus sushi after being assured that it had no raw fish in it. (sushi has a bad rep :)
Both sushi dishes were excellent. I think we have a convert (and yes, I'm going to push the raw fish aspect later).
For entrees, she had steamed vegetables with chicken, and I had a red Thai pork curry. Both came with steamed white rice which wasn't quite sticky enough for my tastes, but it was about par for most Asian restaurants. My slster ate all of her meal, and I was found searching through the broth in the bottom of my bowl for more! I found it sort of odd that there was okra in the curry, but it blended in with the mildly spicy, but not overpowering flavor of the curry.
While the restroom was clean, it was rather outdated. Staff was friendly and attentive. Prices were quite reasonable, and the restaurant was within easy walking distance of the parking garage on John St.

• Visited June 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“excellent sushi, great service, and wine $4.25 glass...can't go wrong!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

excellent sushi, great service, and wine $4.25 glass...can't go wrong!

“clean and fresh. Janet will love you.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2008

clean and fresh. Janet will love you.