“wonderful relaxing holiday - with horses” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mandra Edera Country Hotel

You added Mandra Edera Country Hotel to your Saves list
Mandra Edera Country Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Localita Mandra Edera, 09071 Abbasanta, Sardinia, Italy   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Abbasanta
London
“wonderful relaxing holiday - with horses”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Had a wonderful 4 day break at the hotel. A friendly and informative greeting from Betty set the scene- she was a mine of really useful information, telling us the best places to go to and highlighting them on a map for us, and gave a tour of the grounds, introducing us to the dogs, cats and ponies ( a special mention to Mario - the wild Sardinian horse who is a real character). My husband and I had lessons on very well behaved horses - so well behaved that by the end of the lesson my husband was standing upright on the back of his horse and I did a special dismount by being flipped backwards of the horse! So a special mention also to the instructors. We didn't manage to do a beach ride, which seems to be one of the highlights, so an excuse to go back.

Everyone we met there was very friendly - in the evening all the guests sat at the same table and the food was excellent on most nights - and very reasonably priced also.

The pool area was good- a big pool with an indoor jacuzzi - much needed after our riding lessons. All in all it felt like being at private villa with good friends.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Location: this beautiful hotel is situated in the central Sardinia - in Abbasanta. You can reach it, by the car, in aprox. one hour from Alghero airport and one and a half hour from the Oblia aiprort. The best choice is to rent a car at the airport.

Hotel: small, nice, pleasant, calm and really beautiful with amazing garden, pool and horses. It has no more than 20 bungalows. Even if the hotel was fully booked, it didn´t feel crowded. But..I have to say that this hotel is not for everyone. You are in the countryside of Sardinia (beaches are like half hour drive by the car), you definitely need a car and if you don´t like horses or agriculture, you can be surprised.

Surroundings: hotel is located in the central Sardinia. The centre of a small village Abbasanta is 5 minutes by the car and you can find there shop, restaurants, bank or railway station.

Renting a car: The best way how to discover the island is by the car. You can rent the car at the airport. We visited Sardinia 2 times and we rented car for around 330 Eur/5 days with full insurance. Roads in Sardinia are quite good.

Accomodation: is nice, clean, pleasant. We had bungalow in the garden. There are horses walking freely in the property and it´s the most beautiful feeling to see them at the ground, near your bungalow.

Breakfast: buffet style. There´s cold buffet wit cereals, cheese, ham, fresh fruits and juices and also hot buffet with eggs, bacon, etc.

Food: in this hotel, you have a little different style of the dinner if eating inside. You will have dinner with all other guests together. Dinner has 4 courses and it is a really very good and tasty. It´s maybe untypicall, but the possibility to talk with other guests is very pleasant.

Drinks: you can have drinks in the bar and in the restaurant. All wines are from Sardinia and they are very good.

Service: really good everywhere and without any problems.

Staff: very nice and helpful, especially Betty at the reception, Andrea the waiter and Stephano, trainer of horses.

Advantages of this hotel:
- very nice hotel with calm atmosphere
- comfortable accomodation in own bungalow
- very good service and attitude of the staff
- romantic and quite hotel/location without crowds
- very nice bar and restaurant
- nice swimming pool
- good and calm location
- very good food in the hotel
- free parking
- very good and professional horse riding - you can have lessons and also excursions in surrounding

Disadvantages of this hotel:
- not for everyone - if you don´t like horses

What you can do there:
- swimming in the pool
- trips around the island
- horse riding

Our opinion: we visited this hotel 2 times and it was the best time. It´s a really good hotel in Sardinia with very good staff, services and with the very good food. We truly recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We arrived at Mandra Edera and were welcomed by friendly enough staff. We were shown to our brick built room, which was in desperate need of an update, our outside space had two sort of beach chairs for us to relax in! Within the space of ten minutes two birds had flown into our window and killed themselves I asked the reception to remove them which they did, and said that it had never happened before this I cannot believe. However the worst was yet to come my husband went to have a look around and went to the swimming where he found a DOG swimming in the guest pool. At this point we decided to leave and we will never return. If all you want is to ride horses and stay in inadequate accommodation then this is the place for you.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
teesdale u k
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

This is a review of a riding holiday at Mandra Edera, so there is more about the riding than the hotel, although I do get there in the end!

My wife has ridden for many years and has her own horse, but I had barely sat on a horse before January this year. We decided to book a riding holiday via the excellent Far and Ride agency, so on 8 January I had my first lesson. I was determined to do as much as I could before we went, and had a lesson most weeks after that, until we started our holiday at the beginning of June. I was also lucky enough to have the occasional loan of a horse to hack out on, so I was able to go out once or twice a week from April, and try to consolidate what I had learned in my lessons. It was good to be able to just get some miles under my belt, and to be able to trot and canter on a safe horse.

So I was as well prepared as I could be before we went, but a bit apprehensive! My concerns were, first, that I might not be judged good enough to go out on excursions, and particularly not to the beach, as I really wanted to do a beach ride! Secondly, that I might be significantly under-horsed, as the safe option for a novice (I didn't think it likely that I would be over-horsed since I assumed no riding establishment would want to risk a good horse on a novice rider). Thirdly, that as a 63 year old I might not be able to cope with the physical demands of riding every day for six days.

None of my fears proved valid. On the first day, I had a lesson on Athos with Stephano. I had my first ever riding fall 10 minutes into the lesson, and I thought that would be it, I would be grounded for the week! (I was so busy concentrating on what Stephano had told me to do that I forgot my steering, and my horse did a small, slightly sideways jump over a cavalletti, next minute I was on the ground thinking "how did that happen?!") However, I was quickly back on and the rest of the lesson was fine.

The next day we went on an excursion in the late afternoon, with Stephano. It was so lovely seeing the beautiful, wild flower strewn countryside around Mandra Edera from horseback, (I was on Ponetto), in the soft evening light.

The next day we went for a 2 hours 40 minutes ride at the coast, just the two of us and Daniele, in the late afternoon. Not only did I fulfil my ambition of riding along a beach, we we able to canter on the beach on the way back, as well as at several other points in the ride. The coastal scenery was wonderful, it was an unforgettable experience. And the horse I was riding, Pollicino, was superb. What a lovely horse, I wish I could have taken him home! He was so kind to what he obviously knew was an inexperienced rider, but was very forward going, and had a long striding, rolling canter that I wished could go on forever. I found Daniele a really laid back guide, with a good sense of humour and, despite a claimed lack of English, a good communicator. I particularly liked the bit where, on the highest of the cliffs and the smallest of paths, he turned round and said "gallopo"!

The next day I had another lesson with Stephano. He has a great teaching style. He watches, then identifies the one or two key things he thinks most need attention, and focuses on those, with clear instructions and positive, helpful and encouraging comments. Although I initially felt a bit cast down by my feelings of incompetence, I realised that all riders feel this at times, no matter how good they are. The lessons gave me practical things to work on which I found very useful, and was able put into practice on the subsequent excursions.

The next day we had another nice late afternoon excursion from Mandra Edera, on Ponetto again.

On our last day, we went back to the coast, and Paola took just the two of us on the most wonderful ride around the lake with the flamingoes. We waded through the lake for ages, seeing flamingoes, avocets, gulls, ducks and other birds. Paola is an excellent guide, very informative on the countryside and the wildlife, and very attentive to my riding in a helpful way. Again, we got lots of trotting and some great stretches of canter, me with a great big smile on my face! It was a really memorable ride, and one which keeps flashing images back to me.

I thought the hotel was lovely, the way the horses graze in the grounds, the garden studio was really nice and indeed the whole way the place is laid out is unique. I really enjoyed the food, and eating with everyone else, exchanging stories of the day's riding.

I think there is something quite special about Mandra Edera, and I'm not sure exactly what the secret is, but it must be all of the above, reinforced by the lovely people who run the whole operation from Daniele, Paola, Illa and Stephano on the riding side, to Betty on front of house who is a gem, to the restaurant staff, reception and cleaning staff,and Stephano's dad wandering around doing stuff! I didn't expect to enjoy the holiday anything like as much as I did, and cannot wait to go back again next year, hopefully a better rider. It was one of the best holidays I have ever had.

Room Tip: The small supplement for a garden room is well worth it.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

It feels like you're in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by lovely countryside, quiet and beautiful horses. The staff is extremely friendly and accommodating, although it felt like they were stretched quite thin with too many guests.

But regardless, my friends and I were able to ride as much as we wanted and on our own, without being grouped in with others. The horses are great, they have a good range of advanced and beginner. We did a combination of flat and jumping lessons in the ring and trail rides in the hills and on the coast, and all were good. The instruction was particularly helpful and insightful. You should also ask to go on a ride on the coast - it's a one-hour drive to a different barn, but well worth it because the views are spectacular.

We stayed in a cottage that sleeps four. They're basic, but clean and perfectly comfortable, with warm water

A car is definitely recommended because there's nothing around there, but at least the dinner is abundant and very good - four courses every night! They were also accommodating to my dietary restrictions.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

Even though it was raining when we arrived, this was a very peaceful and relaxing holiday. We rode on one day and tripped out and sunbathed for the rest of the time. The room was clean, comfortable and the staff extremely helpful and attentive. The food, company and scenery were all delightful. Sardinia is full of culture, history and some spectacular views. The only negatives were dealing with auto-Europe car hire (avoid at all costs) and the dreaded Ryanair flight. But none of these could take the edge off of a wonderfully relaxing holiday. A big thank you to all the staff, and also Jenny and willi the delightful family dogs who also kept us company. I would very much like to go back and ride some more next time.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reading
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Not really a hotel as the rooms are dotted around the estate as small bungalows, the horses roam around the estate and you can find them outside your door! We had a riding lesson and went on a hack, the stable staff were fabulous and the room was great too. The food was good. The beach-pool was really nicely designed. Once we had paid for the room and the riding lessons and hack it turned out to be 500Euros for one night, but we had a great time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Mandra Edera Country Hotel? Share your experiences!