“Huge rooms, great location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Free Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 17 hotels in Cambridge
Comins, Michigan
“Huge rooms, great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

Literally made reservation on the taxi ride to the hotel (due to flight cancelation). Front desk bent over backwards to accommodate my last minute arrival. Really appreciated the expedited check-in and professionalism of the staff. Room was very large and had what I needed. Location was an easy ride to and from the airport. Rooms are a bit outdated but clean, and again, very spacious.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
RI-Cambridge-GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Boston Cambridge, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Angie S,

I am glad that you found us during your canceled flight. Although you had hoped to depart Boston, I was pleased to hear about the Front Desk offering assistance given your circumstances.

In regards to the rooms being outdated, I am currently working with the Hotel Owner to plan a renovation of all guest rooms beginning in December, 2013. We certainly recognize the need to keep the product fresh and current, and are very excited about the upcoming changes.

Hopefully your flight the next morning was no trouble! If you happen to return to Boston, please keep us in mind.

All the best,

252 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Saugerties
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We went to a quick family reunion over Labor Day weekend . We all stayed here! I was pleasantly surprised how spacious and how the room was clean and had a kitchen too. With two hot burners. Though this time we opt to eat out, we still loved it because of our two children ,fridge was great to have and microwave! Though we had one bedroom suite we still had pull-out bed for kids and the other room separated for us which was nice! We also had the breakfast they provided which was plenty of choices, the waffles and oatmeal came all kinds of toppings and also scrambled eggs to. Like cheese,chives ,walnuts, chocolate chips raisins. .. Fruit and juices ,pastry list can go on! The only 2 downs was the pool was bit chilly,the kids got in pretty quick...the other down fall was the parking we knew we had to pay but we also had to pay each time we took the car out....so note that! Though you are in the city....so if you can use their system to get around and comfy shoes! Overall we had nice time!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Cynphin,

Thank you very much for staying with us for the first time during your family reunion. It appears that you and the kids really enjoyed the extra space in the room, and I am so glad that breakfast provided enough options for everyone.

I read your note about the pool and apologize that the kids found it to be chilly. I have asked the Engineering Supervisor to ensure the heating unit is working to keep the temperature between 82 – 84 degrees, our standard. The Hotel location provides easy access to the local “T” stop. If you return, perhaps you can try one trick for parking – street parking at a meter is Free after 6 pm and Free on Sundays and Holidays. While the availability of the metered spots is limited, it provides another option.

Cynphin, I greatly appreciate your taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor so we can better learn how to improve our Hotel. I hope to see you on a return trip soon.

Kind regards,

Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed here for two nights in conjunction with a company meeting. I organized the company meeting and the meeting facilities as well as the bedrooms were great. The hotel is a block and a half from the Kendall/MIT MBTA Red Line station and a short cab ride from Logan Airport. The area is rapidly developing and there are plentt of restaurants and a 7-11 within walking distance.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
RI-Cambridge-GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Boston Cambridge, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Dharmithran,

Thank you for providing feedback about your meeting experience here at the Residence Inn Boston Cambridge. I think of our location as the best little kept secret when it comes to company meetings, as our conference space is larger than most Residence Inn Hotels, accompanied by a full catering menu.

I truly appreciate the opportunity to host your group, and look forward to having you back in the near future.

Westfield, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We took our 3 grandchildren to Boston for a 4 day 3 night trip highlighting American history and doing fun things (Duck tour, Museum of Science, NE Aquarium, USS Constitution, Boston Common, Fenway Park tour and more). Kids are two 10 year old boys (cousins) and 7 year old granddaughter. Needless to say there was a lot of stored up energy between the two boys, who do not get together that frequently. We took a two bedroom suite (750 SF) that gave us 2BR, 2 full baths, LR, kitchen and lots of space yet still allowed privacy. We were 2 blocks from the Kendall "T" red line subway, which is a short 2 stop trip to the Boston Common and linked to other lines. The room included a free hot breakfast, internet, dinner (T-Th) and an indoor pool with hot tub. We put the van in the parking deck next to the hotel on Tues. morning and did not take it out until our Friday departure. The price is $25/day to park but it is clearly stated by the hotel and very easy to use with the proximity card pass. Our grandchildren enjoyed the subway as another part of the adventure.

The bottom line is for the cost of a room on the Long Wharf, we had a suite in Cambridge with hot breakfast, internet, dinner and indoor pool in a very safe neighborhood next to the MIT campus. We both feel the 2BR suite ($359/night the third week of August) was a great value and made our trip with grandchildren much more enjoyable.

Extra Tip - 7 Day Link Pass a Super Value - Because we were using the Boston Subway from Cambridge Kendall /MIT stop we chose the 7Day Link Pass. It was only $18 for an adult for unlimited rides on the subway, busses and the ferry to Charlestown Navy Yard (USS Constitution & Museum) from Long Wharf. Kids 11 and under are free when travelling with adults. This was a very efficient way to get around and saved us a fortune in cab fares.

Room Tip: We were on the 12th floor in the corner near the elevators, which was sunny with a nice view. The p...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear HappyTravellerNJ,

I am so thrilled that we could provide accommodations for you and your grandchildren to help make some memories. It truly seems as if you made the most of your American history tour around our great city, and the Two Bedroom suite gave everybody enough room to relax at the end of the day.

Thank you for taking your time to post about your visit on TripAdvisor.

Warm regards,

Sao Paulo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I spent several weeks here and had a great experience.

Frontdesk: Everybody was very nice and very helpful - maybe the best frontdesk I've ever encountered and it's hard to be flawless for several weeks.

Rooms: I got the one without the walls (it's like a loft). It's great. You get a big refrigerator, microwave, oven, two tables (one for work and one for the kitchen - both have outlets so you can work wherever you want) and a sink.

It was very well designed and I actually felt it had more space than I needed.

Extra Services: The cool thing is that they shop for you. You write what you want from the supermarket and they bring it to your room during the day. In Cambridge you can also get almost anything online, but that was certainly handy. They also accept pets - this never bothered me.

Food:

Breakfast: It's a standard hotel breakfast. It's not outstanding, but you have bagels, donuts, eggs, cereal, waffles; lots of choices. You can also take plastic plates or cups to your room.
If you prefer Marriott's breakfast, you can just walk a block and eat there (not for free).

Stuff to buy: The frontdesk has an assortment of quick foods to buy. Instant noodles, chips, ice cream, power bars and what not - it helps a lot.
Room service: ATTENTION. No room service, You may order from many restaurants nearby and they bring the food to your room, so it's almost the same thing. But if you realy need room service, you may not like it.

Location: Great location. Starbucks fans have 2 stores withing 2 blocks (one is right beside the hotel). MiT and the Coop store (with study supplies, restaurants, haircuts, books, magazines, etc..) is very close. The subway is also very close and with the subway (or even by foot) you can go around most of Cambridge and Boston very quickly.

Wireless Internet: I was a little worried about that, but I had a great experience. It worked well for the entire stay. There is a minor annoyance in which you have to login again every day to make it work, but that's a standard in most hotels and it takes about 10 seconds.

I spent several weeks there and found a couple minor issues. Still, I think they deserve the 5 stars (if I become too nitpicky I'll never 5 star anybody):

Housekeeping: Twice they entered the room very quickly without much of a warning (once they tried to zap through the door and once they knocked for 1 second and then came in - both times they got stopped by that little chain, but pretty much ignored the Do Not Disturb sign). That happened to me in other hotels before. Since I spent most of the time in my room working or studying I figured this is something that happens. I'm not gonna break my 5 stars, but this may be a deal breaker for some.

Gym: It was a small nice gym, but one of the "exercises" in the main machine was broken and they didn't seem to have that figured out.
If you require a more hardcore gym, you have options close by.

Even with some minor issuances, I was very pleased with the hotel. I would definitely stay there again. I think it is good for any category, but especially helpful for business travellers and students.

PS: I didn't use their computers or printer services, so I can't comment on that.

Lisbon, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I stayed one month here while studying in a MIT Summer immersion. And the conditions are awesome. The room has a nice size and had everything that I needed, and even more. The staff is very helpful and the recent remodelation made it even more attractive. However rooms there was some noise from the constrution site next to it and the rooms heading south have a horrible view!!

Room Tip: Ask for the North rooms on the top floors.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
RI-Cambridge-GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Boston Cambridge, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear DaNiiVii,

Thank you for staying with us while you attended your one month course at MIT. I am so glad that you enjoyed the spacious room during your stay, and will be certain to pass your comments about the staff along during our morning meeting tomorrow. Thank you for commenting about the recent renovations of the Lobby and Gatehouse. The overall design and décor is quite impressive, and I am pleased you had a chance to enjoy it.

In regards to the construction next to the Hotel, a majority of the exterior work was recently completed, and the project is now focused only on the interior of the building. If you have any specific comments about the noise, please feel free to contact me directly so I can pass them along to the Construction Manager.

Hopefully you will return for another course next year, and we will look forward to having you and the rest of the group back. Your time in posting your visit to TripAdvisor is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

We once again stayed in the Residence Inn this time for the 4th of july. We arrived early and this time with our pet. The hotel staff at the front desk arranged a room immediately and we were able to have breakfast. I had always wanted to see the fireworks and was able to walk past MIT and be right in the Charles river scene without the Boston multitude. There were take aways and plenty of water bottles for free on the front desk on the 4th of july! As always the staff at the breakfast area was extremely courteous and helped getting anything that had been finished in the breakfast area. My wife and kids liked the remodeled room as it felt bigger. Even thou we nos have a place to stay in new hampshire we will return to the residence inn hopefully soon.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Residence Inn Boston Cambridge? Share your experiences!