“Sheraton fits right in with history of Cambridge” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #16 of 17 hotels in Cambridge
Portland, Maine
“Sheraton fits right in with history of Cambridge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2010

My husband and I traveled to Boston from Maine for one night to have dinner and go to a Celtics game. We chose this location for easy access to the T, dinner choices, and reasonable parking rates. We loved that the Sheraton looked and felt like an updated historical building right in the middle of Cambridge/Harvard. Check in was easy. We were assigned a room on the 4th floor, which we noticed, by a wall sign, was designated for Starwood frequent stay guests. (We are members, but don't have a huge number of points.) I loved the room. The bathroom was small, but a second sink in an alcove outside the bathroom made it very convenient. The king sized bed was the old fashioned 4 poster - canopy, which added to the historic charm. I was a bit annoyed honestly that internet access in the room was not free. I paid $4.95 for 1 hour of access time. But that alone didn't spoil my overall impression of my stay. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

375 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
NP
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

The best part of our stay at this hotel was the fact that the staff went out of their way to assist the guest. But otherwise, the hotel itself is substandard for a Sheraton, and we have stayed at a number of Sheraton Hotels around the world. A matter which management may wish to address is why the room temperatures suddenly become equator hot at around 3 am. I initially thought that it was a problem isolated with our room ...but it apparently was not. That having been stated, I hope that Sheraton Hotels (around the world) find better recipes for their restaurants.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

From the moment you arrive at the Sheraton Commander, it becomes apparent that this particular hotel is something special. A well-kept but older building, this is perhaps the nicest Sheraton I've ever stayed in. The staff is amazing (they went out of their way to do things for me), the room is great and the location is just far enough away from Harvard Square to be peaceful at night but close enough to walk there in 5 minutes.

I might also add that it is well worth the upgrade to the club floor for both the bigger rooms and the complimentary breakfast all club floor guests receive each day. The breakfast alone was a $40 value for the two of us over 2 nights and having it in the hotel saved a lot of effort besides.

I would absolutely stay there again when my travel plans call for me to visit the Boston area.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

I have stayed in five star hotels around the world (the Intercontinental in Istanbul and St. Regis in Rome are some examples) and I was pleasantly surprised at the level of service and attention from the staff at the Commander.

I flew into Logan at approximately 7 in the morning, by the time I got my bag and made it to the hotel it was approximately 8 in the morning. I went to the front desk and stated that I requested early check-in and I left my phone number to be contacted when my room would be available. I left my bag to be stored and was summoned to the front desk approximately five minutes after my bag was stored. I was told that because my room wasn't ready I would be given a junior suite...

I got to the room and I liked how roomy it was. There was a loveseat and a chaise next to the window in a living room style space. The bathroom has a whirlpool bath. On the writing desk there was a coffeemaker on the table along with two bottles of water. It was really nice to be able to make tea or coffee in the morning.

The hotel is located next to Harvard and as you can imagine there are many cafes and restaurants in the surrounding area. The hotel is also a five minute walk from the Harvard Station Metro stop. The proximity of the hotel to the metro was another reason I selected this hotel.

The hotel lobby does have an area where you can use complimentary WiFi. They also have some computers that you can use. You get to the terminal enter your last name and room number and the system will grant you access for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes you are logged off. I believe that you can purchase more time after the 45 minutes have been used.

The day I was leaving I noticed that the bill had been slipped under my door. I took a quick glance at it and there was a $20 charge for a phone call I didn't make. I called the front desk and I stated that I didn't make the call, before I could finish explaining I was told that the charge would be taken off.

Overall I really enjoyed my stay at the Commander and would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a room in Cambridge.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Paris, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

Unfortunately the Charles hotel was full for our period in August. Looking for a nice hotel in Cambridge we picked the Sheraton... In short do what ever you can to book in the Charles... Sheraton is more expensive, less comfortable, old fashion, no pool, billable Internet, small bathrooms, ... I stop here.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Boonsboro, Maryland, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

We stayed 2 nights at the Commander while visiting our daughter in Boston. We traveled with our dog and were pleased to find out that Sheraton welcomes dogs free of charge. The hotel location is across the street from Harvard's park and is in a very safe area. We found the lobby to be charming and what you would expect at a historic hotel. We were pleasantly surprised by the size of our room, which turned out to be a spotlessly clean recently renovated executive king suite complete with an unbelievably comfortable four poster bed. The AC was quiet and kept the room very cold. The bathroom was clean and the towels were soft. Also when we returned for the evening the staff had delivered a 'doggie welcome' pack...a big fluffy dog bed, food bowls and potty bags. Very nice touch!

The only negative things would be the lack of free internet in the rooms and the size of the bathroom. (the door almost touched the toilet when you opened and closed it, but we have stayed in historic hotels and this is the norm)

The valet parking is located adjacent to the hotel and costs $29 a day with unlimited coming and goings. We will definitely stay at the Commander the next time we come to Boston.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

While it is a charming hotel with great service, amazing location, it is a shame that it does not provide free internet! Actually it does... but only in the lobby. If for any reason you want to do research on what to do the next day, you can't do it from the comfort of your own room unless you pay 9.95!
It is the principle of the thing!
It's been ages since I've stayed in a place that does not offer free internet... even Motel 8, for heaven's sake, offers it! (I checked!)
So... NO! I would not recommend it to friends and I would not stay there again!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Sheraton Commander Hotel? Share your experiences!