“Comfort in flux” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Cambridge
Camden, AR
“Comfort in flux”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2008

I booked this trip through NWA Vacations. We stayed five nights, on the club level floor. I've stayed at this hotel in the past and was familiar with its layout and location in Cambridge.

Taxi from airport--about $38 plus tip. Flat rate return rate to airport is $30 plus tolls, bringing it to about the same amount.

Pluses:
Reasonably priced, about four blocks from the Harvard Square T-stop. (Red Line). Continental charm, newly refurbished rooms, comfortable bed, great views from the 6th floor. Staff was wonderful--every request or question was greeted amiably and followed through in a timely fashion.

Free wireless in our room! On Club Level, you save the 9.95 per night cost of high speed access to the net. Our room had wireless and wired available--I am told that you can only have one laptop accessing at once (one MAC address only, per room).

Starbucks coffee in the room. Individual pods with takeaway cups, even half and half! Also, Earl Grey and Sweet Orange teas. (There are no minibars).

Poland Spring Bottled Water: two bottles, free, each night, in our Club Level room. I had brought bottled water with me but drank it all plus the bottles left for us by the hotel each night.

The room was clean, the linens felt/looked new; The toiletries were ok--I found the soap very drying--but they smelled nice--mandarin/mint. HD flatscreen, decent array of channels if you want them.

In addition to a robe, we also had a large umbrella left in our room, for our use. Came in handy this trip!

Negatives: Let me preface these comments by saying that these items are indigenous to this trip and not necessarily indicative of the hotel, in general.

--No Club Lounge! Yes, I was told that, due to 'economic conditions,' the Club Lounge is closed indefinitely. To offset this, we were given vouchers for Continental Breakfast or 11.55 off our breakfast bill, per person {it included tax and gratuity) AND vouchers good for one 'appetapas' in the bar/restaurant, per person. We had a set of vouchers for each day. This was a nice way of remedying the situation but this meant that there weren't sodas or other non-alcoholic beverages available to us, for free, over the course of the day.

--mattress protector. This may not seem to be a big thing to some but it annoyed the heck out of me.It was one of those thin pads meant to protect against staining rather than a cushy mattress pad used to enhance the mattress. It didn't stay put on the mattress as it was not a full-size pad. This caused it to wrinkle and bunch under the sheet, and caused me some pain at pressure points when lying on my side. This effectively ruined a night's sleep for me. They need to use full-size pads/protectors or not bother.(This was not something I requested, btw--it was part of the bedding).

--lack of 'quick' foods. There is only the one restaurant/lounge in the hotel, and it doesn't really lend itself to 'grabbing' a bite to eat. We brought food in, in the evening. After being out of the hotel and on the go all day, we really didn't feel like having to go down to dinner.

--windows were nailed shut. I went to MA for snow and got 60 degree weather in December LOL We had the a/c on the entire trip--some nights it was cool enough to sleep, other nights, we found it warm and stuffy, as if the a/c wasn't working. I like fresh air in my room, and this was disappointing.

While there was a robe in our room, it was too small for either one of us to actually use. A more generous cut would be welcome.

When we return next year, I'll be staying at this hotel, again.

• Liked — proximity to transportation and Harvard Square
  • Disliked — lack of food choices inside hotel
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Middlebury, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2008

I try to stay in this hotel each time I am in Cambridge (usually 5 - 6 times per year) and typically have an above average experience. The location is perfect if you are doing anything at Harvard. The hotel is less than 10 minutes by foot from Harvard Square and the Harvard Square Red Line stop. The rooms are usually very nice, at a minimum they are more than decent, but definitely have an older feel. The staff has always been very friendly, but not always on top of things. Overall, they are pretty competent.

Beds are comfy and I love that there is a robe in each of the rooms (or at least there is a robe on the club floor rooms, not sure about the others). They also have the typical Bliss for Sheraton products, but this Sheraton gives a little loofa thing to go with the shower gel, and the warming shave cream...

The club lounge food is underwhelming, but nice that it is there. The rates are usually pretty good as well.

• Liked — Robes and location
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2008

I recently returned from a 5 night stay at Sheraton Commander. I stay here regularly when visiting regional colleges and may begin to rethink this. The newly renovated rooms make it a nicer hotel than I first visited in 2003. As a college admissions advisor, I am often asked by parents about hotel recommendations. This hotel location is great if you have a car and are visiting regional colleges by car or the T. But the staff seems to be made up of students and it takes several days to get an answer to even the most basic question. The breakfast in the restaurant is worse than most dorms (rubber eggs and oldish potatoe cubes) , so I prefer to be on the SPG floors where I can have an early quick breakfast. For the price, you can probably do better. I am a loyal Starwood client and therefore chose Sheraton's for my entire trip, as usual. However, paying for internet and parking adds $70 a night no matter what rate you receive. The SPG upgrade is a myth. On our arrival the front desk clerk argued that I had not requested the upgrade. I insisted that I had and offered to show her the email confirming this from SPG. I returned and a different desk clerk was there who suggested I return later (with my computer even though I offered to email it to them). 3 days of this and finally there is a phone message that the upgrade was not available. Why didn't they just say that earlier rather than accuse me multiple times of lieing and insisting I show them email proof which they clearly didn't recognize anyway. It was ridiculous! I can't recommend this hotel to parents visiting students. There are better locations and better priced hotels in and around Cambridge or Boston.

• Liked — Spacious rooms and beds, Cambridge restaurants,
  • Disliked — Staff, Restaurant, Expensive Internet and Parking $70/day plus taxes!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2008

I have been at this hotel before every time I go to Cambridge which is about 3 times a year. I usually enjoyed it, but this time I was very disappointed. I was there for two days(8/24-25) Until i checked in and got up to my room I didnt find out that the water would be shut off at 9:30AM until 3PM the next day. If i know that before, i would have found another hotel(I didnt check in until the evening) The beds in the room were not as comfortable as I remember. We were then informed that the water would be shut off again the second day we are there. When I complained because I wanted to sleep late we were offered a $50 discount total for the two nights. I dont know if I would stay there again, beds not comfortable and NO WATER, We should have been offered a free night because of the terrible inconvenience(most of the other hotels in Cambridge were fully booked)

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — should have been told of lack of water service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2008

I've stayed at the Commander on two separate occasions for business, and both times were thoroughly pleasant. It's clean and well kept, the front desk staff are always friendly and very helpful, and it's in a great location. The property is antiquated, but it's absolutely charming. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the Boston/Cambridge area. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2008

My son and I stayed at this hotel for 1 night while visiting Harvard.
We were completely pleased with the service and comfort of the room. The front desk is very professional and very informative.
The building is just beautiful from the moment you walk down the well landscaped ramp, to the lobby and finally the room.
The architecture is wonderful and they have updated it with such elegance. The room is completely renovated with old charm. The beds are extremely comfortable. The room and bathroom is very spacious and impeccably clean. It is conveniently located to visit Harvard College. The valet parking was also very efficient! We will definitely be staying at this hotel the next time we visit Harvard! We highly recommend it!

• Liked — Comfortable Room
  • Disliked — There is nothing I disliked about this hotel
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2008

Many folks are talking about the age of this hotel. yes, it's an old building, but a beautiful old building. located on the western end of Cambridge - a bit past Harvard Square, the Commander is a quality hotel that's been well taken care of.

I visited the Commander on business for 2 nites sucked in buy the lure of Starwood points. I've stayed previously at Le Meridien at the opposite end of Cambridge and loved that hotel - but the rates were way higher so i tired out the Commander.

Room was not big - but clean and well appointed with a big flat screen tv, a great bed and a tiny but elegant bathroom. i worked out in the small gym on a brand new treadmill and dined in the club lounge on a pretty good breakfast.

there is only 1 elevator serving the hotels 6 floors and it is really small and slow, but this adds a touch of charm. walk up or down the stairs of the hotel and you'll see some great tile work that is a long lost art in modern building.

the Meridien may be a better overall hotel in Cambridge but if you're budget doesn't allow it, hit the Commander and you'll be pleased.

• Liked — Good solid business hotel
  • Disliked — could use an elevator upgrade
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sheraton Commander Hotel? Share your experiences!