“Awesome Trip” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Cambridge
South Carolina
“Awesome Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Went up with my wife and friends. I was on business, but they played. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed their time. It was a homecoming of sorts as my wife and I were engaged in Boston some years ago. The hotel gave us piece-of-mind to go and do as we pleased. Very hospitable. The location was great as we had stayed 12 miles outside the city previously. Thanks!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
mkne21, General Manager at Sheraton Commander Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear LUTiger16,

Thank you for your nice comments from your recent stay with us. It's great to hear our location worked for your needs of business and pleasure. Thank you for choosing us.

I look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in town.

Michael Guleserian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
West Palm Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed at the sheraton commander the first week end of September 2013 to attend a wedding. We went out Friday morning and to my surprise when I got back my only Donald J pliner casual sandals that I brought with me was taken out of the room. I honestly taught that it was inside my bag . It really hit me when it was time to go to the airport and I only had 3 inches heels and my sandals that I travel in with was stolen. I informed the hotel manager but I had to talk to house keeping. The few words that I could understand from that department was whoever clean my room was there for more than 25years. Of course nobody start stealing after 25 years!!!but the truth of the matter was that I had to call someone to bring me a pair of flip flop because I had 2 babies with me. I'm still waiting for answers from the hotel staff and they are rude , the hotel is old and if you weigh more than 200lbs don't take that ancient elevator that can barely fit 4people. We travel a lot and by far it was the worse experience we ever had and I'm still exploring my options because it's 2013 and the sheraton can do better!

Room Tip: Nothing is good about that place
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
mkne21, General Manager at Sheraton Commander Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear Maggie A,

Thank you for offering feedback from your stay with us in early September. I'm sorry you had a negative experience while you were our guest. I am sorry we were unable to find your lost scandals. We will continue to look for them and will contact you if anything is found. Please feel free to contact me directly at michael.guleserian@sheraton.com for any additional follow-up.

Warmest Regards,

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

There has to be a better hotel in the area or at least one less expensive. This hotel is old, creepy, dingy and loud and the staff is mediocre at best. Save yourself a few hundred dollars and go elsewhere. They shouldn't put this in the Starwood package.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
mkne21, General Manager at Sheraton Commander Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear BSK221,

Thank you for taking time to offer feedback from your recent visit. I'm sorry we did not meet your expectations while you were our guest. Please contact me at michael.guleserian@sheraton.com so I can learn more about your experience and correct any issues for you and future guests.

Davis, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Spent a very successful week with my teenager in a lovely corner room in the back (I asked for a "quiet room"). We had "club" privileges, which gave us 24-hour access to a nice big sitting room with windows, tables and comfortable chairs; on the 6th floor, it was a great place to relax or do homework, with unlimited beverages and small snacks; during regular morning and evening hours, breakfast and hors d'oeuvres were served by friendly staff. The fitness room on the 1st floor is also nice; modern equipment and window views, The staff at the Commander are first-rate, welcoming, helpful, personable, yet highly professional and efficient. While the hotel is expensive (particularly at the club level), it's location near Harvard Square, and across from Harvard, particularly the law school, make the Commander a logical, convenient and very enjoyable choice.

Room Tip: Suggest "quiet room" in the back, on a corner if available.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
mkne21, General Manager at Sheraton Commander Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear 758Kathy4144,

Thank you for the Tripadvisor review. I'm glad our location worked well for your needs. It's nice to hear you were able to take advantage of the Club Lounge and Sheraton Fitness while staying with us. I'll be sure to pass on your comments to my team. They will be excited to hear your praise of them.

Please come back soon.

New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

The hotel's age and drabness are the overwhelming factors in considering it for a stay. It's well-located for proximity to Harvard's law school and science complexes, but not as well located as the Charles for proximity to the Yard, the Square and the T station. Although renovations may have taken place, the place still smells musty and stale, in that old-hotel-that's-been-around-too-long way. I had a king room, and the suites or club rooms may have more to recommend them, but mine was just acceptable, and it's clear why Starwood didn't upgrade this at least one category in its hierarchy of properties.

The Sweet Sleeper bed is as always very comfortable. But the small room was awkwardly laid out in a space that felt like an afterthought, with the bathroom broken up into a dressing/clothes rack/sink area; and a separate, minute space across the entrance foyer for the toilet, shower/tub, and a second sink. This second sink was so small that it didn't have enough surrounding counter space to place any toiletries, so it was really only useful for washing your hands after using the toilet and then getting out. The toilet itself was so awkwardly located in the cramped space behind the door that even as a solo traveler I had to enter the bathroom, move back, turn to close the door, and only then be able to use the toilet without it being blocked by the door. The shower is a nice one with a curved curtain rod, which I always like to have; but the drainage was poor and I kept finding myself standing in stale water up to my ankles as I finished showering. At least this was a function of excellent water pressure in the shower; in both sinks, the water pressure was very weak and thus hard to use effectively for washing/rinsing; and furthermore the wait for it to get hot so I could shave was ridiculously long - I was on the verge of reporting having no hot water in the taps before it finally started to warm up.

I like Sheraton's house toiletries, but I didn't even get one bar of soap for each of the three sources of running water. Then housekeeping took the soap from the shower on my first morning and didn't replace it, leaving me carrying the one bar of soap I had left from the dressing space sink across to the bathtub and back again. Really?

Because of the hotel's E-shaped construction, many rooms only have a view of other rooms across the interior airshaft-type spaces, and so my room had a complicated system of light filtering blinds and blackout blinds, designed to allow you to completely block the vista of the ugly facade across from mine, and the view of me that the occupants of the many rooms across the space would otherwise have. The television didn't work when I arrived, and I had to call for service to fix it; but it is also awkwardly located, as it can't be watched from the bed, and faces a pair of particularly ugly wing chairs placed across the room from it in a kitty-corner arrangement. They may be going for "colonial" atmosphere, but they look like they were pulled out of storage. I just used them to throw things on. No coffee table of any sort, and no mini-bar, but a decent desk and free wi-fi. If you want a snack, buy it before the gift shop closes at 9 PM as there is no vending except for sodas.

The hotel has no porte cochere, a reasonable function of being an old building on a Cambridge city street; but there was also no doorman at any time to help with luggage as you climbed up or down the stairs between the main door and the sidewalk. Felt a little more like a Four Points than a Sheraton having to lug my stuff to the reception desk before the first staffer was there to greet me. I didn't eat there, but the room service prices are at luxury hotel level and I wouldn't have bothered anyhow with all the options in Harvard Square a few minutes away; it also ends at 11 PM.

All in all, a disappointing experience (at check-in the clerk made a point of telling me that she had never had any complaints about the room - LOL), and I would never suggest this as a place to stay for someone who is visiting for any purpose but its convenience to the university.

Room Tip: Perhaps a room on the outside perimeter of the building would have a view of some sort of the city a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Mark K,

Thank you for offering a detailed review from your recent stay with us. While I'm glad you liked our Sweet Sleeper Beds, our location and the shower, I'm sorry we did not meet your expectations in other areas. I will share your comments with my team and will work to improve the areas you pointed out. We are always looking to improve our hotel and service.

I hope that you will stay here the next time you visit Cambridge I'm sure we can find a room with a different layout that better suits your needs.

Warmly,

Rootstown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Great staff. Very accomodating. The catering service was excellent. Following the breakout session of our meetings, it was great to have the food services stations. The meals were expectional, and vegetarian options were outstanding.

Room Tip: Catering and staff was exceptional.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
mkne21, General Manager at Sheraton Commander Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Denise S,

Thank you for writing a Tripadvisor review. It's great to hear that you enjoyed our food after your meeting. I'll be sure to pass your comments onto our culinary team. They will be thrilled that you enjoyed the vegetarian options.

Warmest Regards,

Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

This is an old hotel so it has tiny, slow elevators and odd shaped rooms. But that's no excuse for inadequate lighting, bad TV reception, and not enough plugs on the desk. It did have a ethernet cord, however. I would have given this hotel 3 stars but there are problems in the bathroom. The tub is fine, but the sink has an aerator on the faucet that slows the flow of water and makes it nearly impossible to fill the basin. They could have had a small basin and accomplished the water-saving purpose that way, but waiting forever for enough water is not fun. Plus, while the basin was filling, the hot water ran out. That's just unacceptable. The hotel is well located if you have business at Harvard..

Dear jxx9595,

Thank you for the feedback from your recent stay with us. I'm glad our location was good for your needs. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations in regards to the water flow in your room. I have passed your comments to my team who will work to improve our hotel in these areas for future guests. I hope the next time you visit Cambridge you stay with us again for a flawless stay.

Michael Guleserian

Been to Sheraton Commander Hotel? Share your experiences!