“Really Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Cambridge
bricklinng
“Really Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My wife and I needed to spend one night in or near Cambridge and decided to try the Commander, thinking that it had had a rehab a few years ago. We learned that our rehab notion was inaccurate. We found it to be a tired, old hotel. It was dimly lit with worn carpets, 1950s style bathrooms and fixtures and small, slow elevators. The Club floor breakfast was two cuts below a typical Holiday Inn Express or Hampton Inn. All of this for $350 per night. We would definitely skip this place in the future and either pay a bit more for the Charles Hotel or Inn at Harvard or, more likely try the Mary Prentiss Inn (a great B&B in Cambridge). We might also just stay in a Holiday Inn Express, Marriott Courtyard or the like a bit further out from town. The Sheraton Commander manifested the worst combination of old, expensive in town hotel.

Room Tip: Charles Hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
mkne21, General Manager at Sheraton Commander Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear Bricklinng,

Thank you for taking time to offer your honest feedback from your recent stay at our property. I'm sorry your visit did not meet your expectations in regards to style and condition. We are always looking to improve our property. Your comments give us good information on where we can still improve. Thank you for your comments regarding our Club Lounge breakfast. This week, we received new display bowls, platters etc. and our culinary team introduced new upgraded food and presentation for our Club Guests. Please contact me at michael.guleserian@sheraton.com so I can learn more about the specifics of your experience and create a better experience for you and all guests in the future.

Warm Regards,

Michael Guleserian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Zurich, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Hotel is getting aged; service is poor and room was not clean. Housekeeping forgot rubish from previous guests and bathroom was dirty. They charge 29USD for a car park extra !!!! I stay there in September and the hotel was full of students making noice the whole night. The hotel is far away from a Sheraton "standard". Sorry but there are other options in Cambridge, better try those. Best was the burger at the first night in the restaurant - I can recommend that one (at least).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
mkne21, General Manager at Sheraton Commander Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Holger K,

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. I'm sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and your comments provide us with information we can review to improve on for the future. Thank you for your comments regarding housekeeping and noise from other guests. I've shared your comments with my leadership team and will work to fix the issues you experienced. Please contact me directly at michael.guleserian@sheraton.com so I can investigate this further and correct these issues for you and future guests.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Great hotel. Staff attentive, rooms excellent, beds comfortable, lobby delightful, free internet cafe in the lobby. Had to send and receive faxes (remember those?) and staff was eager to please. Gripes: As noted by others, the a/c is very noisy. We "solved" this by making our room really cold, then set the thermostat to a higher temp so we could fall asleep before the a/c went on again. We asked for a got a quiet room facing a residential street, but the neighbors decided to get up at 6 am and yak. Not the hotel's fault. However, the brunch (all you can eat) is $17 each (no close-by breakfast places) and because all we could eat was one bowl of cereal and coffee they said they give us a deal -- which turned out to be about $12 a person. Such a deal.

So if you go at a time when you don't need a/c, and you can take the time to find breakfast somewhere else, it's all good.

Room Tip: Asking for a quiet room will get you one. Away from the street, elevators and ice machines.
Dear Ron D,

Thank you for taking time to write an online review of your recent experience at our hotel. I'm glad that you liked our staff, rooms, beds, etc. I'm sorry you did experience some issues during your stay. I have shared your feedback with my team and will work to eliminate these issues for you and future guests. Once again, thank you for your comments.

Warm regards,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I stayed here on my first trip to Boston as part of my new hire process with my new company.

What a fantastic group of staff, who couldn't do enough for me.

One senior member even worked out a sight seeing plan for my weekend time in the city !

Great experience and would recommend time and time again.

Dear Andy S,

Thank you for your great feedback. I'm glad you had a great experience with our hotel and our team members. Thank you for recommending us! I look forward to you visiting us the next time business brings you to Cambridge.

Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Both son's attended Harvard. I have stayed here 60 rooms nights over the past 4 years. Never disappointed. Bought my bed for my home via their arrangement with Serta. Best hotel in Cambridge. Best service and just overall top notch.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room facing opposite the street. Cambridge is noisy and room location matters.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
mkne21, General Manager at Sheraton Commander Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear 44dogcat,

Thank you for taking time to offer great feedback online. We deeply thank you for your loyalty while both of your sons have attended Harvard. We are honored that you feel the comfort of home at our property enough to have purchased a Sweet Sleeper bed for your own bedroom. We look forward to welcoming you back to your home away from home the next time you visit Harvard.

Warmest Regards,

Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed just one night in Cambridge while dropping our daughter off at college. We checked in late and left early, so didn't really get a great sense of what the hotel had to offer, but the room we got was clean, spacious, and comfortable. We had been driving all day and so when we checked in we asked for a quiet room, and the desk clerk immediately decided to give us a different room from the one he was first going to give us. We had a good night's sleep on the comfortable bed. We left before breakfast, so didn't get a chance to check that out. I did like the hotel lobby, especially the giant gold George Washington bas-relief and the little model revolutionary war soldiers in the glass case. Would like to come back for a longer stay next time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
mkne21, General Manager at Sheraton Commander Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear dcbird,

Thank you for taking time to give us feedback from your stay with us. Thank you for mentioning that our rooms are clean, spacious and comfortable. I'm also glad that you found our front office team responsive to your needs. Thank you for taking time to see some of the historic art we have displayed in our lobby. We feel we are an extension of our surroundings and our community. I hope the next time you visit you will have an opportunity to stay longer to enjoy our hotel and our historic neighborhood.

Warm Regards,

Nashua, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Here to be a tourist in my own back yard. Location was fabulous, staff courteous and friendly, and the room was clean and comfortable. We were impressed with the hotel's style and atmosphere, very sophisticated while not being stuffy. We had our 4 year old and 5 year old with us and they did not seem out of place. The ease of access to public transportation was great. We did everything, T, Cab, Trolley and all were convenient for our needs. The next time I have the opportunity to stay in the city, I will be back at the Commander!

Room Tip: Stop in Nubar for a snack or meal. The bar is fantastic and they have a fireplace for the winter an...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear WishIwastraveling...

Thank you for providing us with feedback from your stay at the Sheraton Commander. It's great that our hotel was ideal for your needs in terms of location to things to do in the city. Thank you for mentioning that our staff was courteous and friendly. I'll be sure to pass on your comments to our team. It's great that you were able "to be a tourist in your own back yard". I believe you don't have to go away to get away. Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Commander for your family's getaway.

I look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Cambridge.

Michael Guleserian

Been to Sheraton Commander Hotel? Share your experiences!