“Disapointing” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Cambridge
New York
“Disapointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

Stayed here July 4, 2009. I have been to the Sonesta very many times over the past few years, the last for a week in 2007, and even though it is overpriced with few amenities (not even a vending machine) I have always enjoyed my stay. I made the current reservation in January 2009 for 3 days and then discovered a change in hotel policy in April 2009. Due to this change in policy I tried to modify my stay to 1 night, but my reservation - at a much lower rate - was canceled and I was forced to pay more for a new reservation. The room was the smallest I have ever stayed in at the hotel especially for $300 a night. The A/C was not sufficient to even cool the room. Parking, which is attached to the hotel, is $27 per night. The location, which is one of the reasons I originally chose this hotel years ago, is very good. The staff is very nice, though during this stay they were a bit overwhelmed with a bus loads of tourists.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Newtown Ct
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2009

We went there with out 5 and 3 year old for an overnight stay to visit the Museum of Science. It's right around the corner. The Cambridge Mall is directly across the street which was nice for us since the kids were exhausted from the Museum and swimming in the pool. We just walked across the street to the Cheesecake Factory to eat. There was also a California Pizza Kitchen and they are building a PF Chang's. The pool was warm and very nice. The staff was super and accomodated our request for two beds after searching high and low for one. Cookies in the lobby were enjoyed by the kids. Parking is 27 dollars whether you park it or they valet. Might as well let them do it. Room was rather big and perfectly nice. They said they offered shuttes into the city and other places even though we did not use it. In the morning we walked two blocks to a little restaurant/diner for breakfast, Christie's I think, and we were the only ones there and got some great breakfast sandwichs and pancakes for the kids. Good stay. Worth the money.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Royal_Sonesta_Hotel, Management at Royal Sonesta Boston, responded to this review, July 7, 2009
Dear pprow13

Thank you for your comments, we do hope to see you back here again!
Cologne, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

We stayed at the hotel for three nights and thanks to tripadvisor had to pay only USD 200.- Which is ok, I would not be willing to pay more for that hotel. The room was great and very clean, nice view over the river and there is even a coffeemaker in the room. So if you look for a standard hotelroom, nothing special, go there. The pool and gym is nice, however i wondered why the water of the pool would be so blurry.

The staff is nice and helpful, especially when you tip them. However, one morning we wanted to take a cab, which was already waiting there and the bell captain hailed it to pull up - as I expect this much service I did not tip the guy - so he would just let the door of the cab open and not close it and walked away giving us a bad face. This is not what I expect, and that feeling was everywhere that they just give what they have to and would not go the extra mile. Just a standard-hotel as it says :-)

One other thing: Internet in the business center (when using there computers) is 5 USD for 20 minutes, including prints. However the printer does not work properly and we had to call 2 times the reception, until finally someone came around to help.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear david cologne,

Thank you for your comments. It is our goal to be more than a "nothing special" hotel. We agree with you about the service you received while getting a taxi in our front drive. The taxi should have been hailed for you with a smile and a greeting and no expectation of a tip. We are using your comments to remind our staff of the importance of guest service. Thank you for your honest evaluation, we hope to have you come back soon.
Bergen, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2009

We stayed three nights at the Sonesta in may this year and enjoyed ourserlves.
The hotel has a good location on the Cambridge side of the Charles river. We got upon request in the lobby a room with a wonderful city view of the Boston skyline. I don't think we had booked such a room so we were plesantly surprised as they upgraded us free of charge.

The room we had was big with two very comfortable beds and had all amenties you need. The only negative thing about the hotel is that they charge for internet use (slow connection is free) and in-room movies are also expensive.

There is a nice pool if you want to go for a swin after a day of exploring Boston. We did a few times. Nearby (just across the road) is also a shopping centre.
We walked to downtown Boston in perhaps 30 minutes. The hotel is a bargain for the price we paid ( 143 $ pr night + tax). Downtown options of similar quality is much more expensive.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Royal_Sonesta_Hotel, Manager at Royal Sonesta Boston, responded to this review, July 7, 2009
Dear norwegian-7,

Thank you for posting your review about your stay at the Royal Sonesta Hotel Boston this past May. We're happy to hear you enjoyed our swimming pool and our close proximity to the CambridgeSide Galleria. We hope you chose our hotel for your next stay in Boston.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2009

I liked the location of this hotel. Its close proximity to the subway and some quick, nearby dining made it convenient. There were taxis available at any time of the day. It's nearest to the Lechmere stop and it is a perfect location for jogging along the river.

The room I stayed in is called an Individual room. I thought it odd that two Aeron chairs were at the desk for a room that really can only accommodate one person.

The bed is quite comfortable. There was a couple of overhead lamps and one side table. The clock radio/cd player was easy to use and has two wake features.

The closet is a good size and contains a safe, iron and ironing board.

Note that rooms with the "06" digits are next door to the elevator but you do not hear the sounds of the elevator from the bed. You can hear the elevators while in the bathroom.

In the two days I stayed there, I only bumped myself once on the dresser corner which is not really bad. There's less than 2 ft. of space between its corner and the hallway passage as you pass by.

The television is more than adequate; plenty of cable channels.

I used the mall (Cambridgeside Galleria) for food and shopping.

When I did need something, someone helped me right away. The staff are more than polite and knowledgeable.

One downside is that the temperature regulator is fixed at 70 degrees so if you want it warmer or colder, you may have to call the front desk.

Windows do open and there are blackout drapes.

The bathroom for this type of room contains only a shower stall, but the water pressure is more than adequate and temperature is mostly consistent. I would have liked a little more counter space. There is a good hair dryer and good products for you to use in the shower.

The water on the counter is not complimentary; $5.50 a bottle. The tap water in Boston tastes fine.

The elevators were never tied up; I waited less than 30 seconds for one to arrive.

I checked my luggage with concierge and it was a convenient option while I did other things before I had to head to the airport.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
Dear Obsidian Snow

Thank you for your comments regarding your April stay. We appreciate all the feedback and do hope you chose the Royal Sonesta Hotel Boston next time you're here.
Lucan, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2009

My partner and I stayed at the Royal Sonesta for three nights on a trip to Boston. We found the staff helpful and the room was lovely. We requested a river view and had a good sized room with a lovely view of the river. Free internet also - You had to pay for a faster connection but the standard free one was quite good. Hotel was quiet and very clean. We ate at the Art Bar for breakfast and it was good and fresh and they replenished the buffet often. It was extra though. The one issue is the that location is not perfect for Boston. You are across the river though to be fair there are 2 T-stations is a few minutes walk away. It is really close to the Cambridge Galleria so there are shops and a few places to eat there. Walking to Boston Common is about 20 minutes which is not too bad.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Royal_Sonesta_Hotel, Management at Royal Sonesta Boston, responded to this review, May 27, 2009
Dear JC_JCM

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Royal Sonesta Hotel. Your comments are very much appreciated and have been passed along to our staff members. We are pleased that you and your partner enjoyed your stay with us and had the opportunity to dine at ArtBar. We hope that you return at the Royal Sonesta during your next trip to Boston.
Portland, ME
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Royal Sonesta in February to celebrate his birthday for the weekend. We had stayed there a few times before, and had always enjoyed our stay. We are hockey fans (go Flyers), and like the close proximity to the Garden. The first night we were there, we were very pleasantly surprised when while getting ready to go out, a knock came at our door. When my husband opened the door, a waiter was holding a lovely plate of chocolate dipped strawberries, compliments of Bonnie Moulton, the Front Desk Manager, for my husband's birthday. I thought this was a great personal touch, and very much appreciated. The rest of the hotel lived up to our expectations also, with friendly staff, comfy beds, a wonderful pool and hot tub, great decor and a great location.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Sonesta Boston? Share your experiences!