“Awesome Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Cambridge
NYC
“Awesome Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I loved everything about this hotel its actually a 5 STAR my only reason for giving it a 4 STAR is because I had to
pay $30.00 for parking per night. Otherwise it was 2 awesome nights. The room was goreous, so comfortable, spotless and the staff couldnt be more accomdating and helpful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Strasbourg, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Situated at the river side, the rooms have a beautiful view to Boston. Nice walk to Main Street by the river. The service is very attentive. Hotel is very clean, and with modern facilities. I particularly enjoyed the swimming pool, good size and natural light.Sauna is also available. Only little inconvenience is that the rooms do not communicate directly with the pool, the access is through the lobby/restaurant area.
If weather is nice people will sit outside at the Patio, ask for an upper floor room if you want to go to sleep early.
Just a cross the street there is a mall - Galeria - shopping, food...all you might need is there.

Nicosia, Cyprus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I have stayed at the Royal Sonesta while being in Boston for a conference. Its location is excellent. Close to the river, the Science Museum, 2 metro stations, across from a mall, and on the Cambridge side, which is quieter and closer to the Unis.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Cullercoats, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

We stayed here for a week the second week in September. We choose this hotel to be near to Boston but to be away from the hustle and bustle which proved to be a good choice. Our room was very good, we had a Cambridge facing view which we were expecting but because our room was on the corner we actually had a view of the river too. All of the staff were friendly and helpfull especially Ralph.The art work in the hotel is amazing not just in the lobby but on every floor. the hotel is only a 5 mins walk from the T which is handy for getting into Boston but there are not a lot of restaurant that you can walk to from the hotel, We ate once at Dantes the hotel Italian restaurant and once at the Art bar both meals were good.We would deffinately stay at a Royal sonesta Hotel again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
North Salt Lake, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I stayed at the Royal Sonesta for business in mid-September and was very pleased overall with the hotel. My room had a lovely view of the Charles River, so lovely I didn't want to close my blinds at night. It was also equiped with a refrigerator, which is also nice. One thing travelers should know is that they are experimenting with no coffe makers in the rooms. If you ask for one, they are happy (and prompt) to supply one, but you have to ask.

The bed was comfortable, room was clean. Turn down service is always nice. I ate at Dante and was not particularly impressed (especially compared to the Italian food across the river!) The service was very good, very friendly and helpful.

I wasn't particularly thrilled with the location. The mall across the street has mainly chain restaurants and there isn't much else around.

Room Tip: Rooms at the end of the hall have the best view of the river.
Rochester NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We spent one night here the first weekend in September, when ALL the students were either moving in or moving out. After fighting some crazy traffic jams, it was nice to find that the Royal Sonesta was easy to get to, parking was a breeze, and it is very conveniently located. The first people you meet on arrival are the valet parking attendants and what a welcoming bunch they are! We met Andrej and Osazec and found them to be just delightful.

Minor inconvenience at check-in, our check-in time was supposed to be 3:00, and when we arrived at 4:45 they still didn't have a room ready. We had to wait in the lobby but Patrick at the front desk was very conscientious about giving us updates, pointing out where we might get something to drink, and generally making us feel like they hadn't forgotten us.

We had a river view room, it was comfortable and pleasant, and the view is quite nice, though the window is half the size of what you'd expect in a hotel room only because of the very peculiar architecture of the place. You'll see what I mean when you get there. The building has wedge-shaped outcroppings with the windows on the reverse, so when you view the building from the front, it appears to have no windows at all. My only complaint about the rooms is that, for over $200 a night, shouldn't we at least get a little coffee maker? The night before we were at a Comfort Inn in Albany, which room cost less than half of the Royal Sonesta one, and they had a coffee machine, fridge, and microwave.

Our bed was very comfortable but unfortunately I didn't sleep well regardless, there was a lot of noise until the wee hours of the morning, mostly groups of unsupervised kids thundering up and down the halls. Not sure what event was going on but it seemed to cater to the 10-to-14 crowd and I would have thought they'd be supervised after midnight. Not the fault of the hotel, but it kept me from having the pleasant sleep I was expecting (and this is where the coffee maker would have come in handy in the morning...). There were too many of these small groups of kids to bother calling the management one any on particular group. I ended up in the lobby reading a book until quite late, so I saw several more groups bopping around the main floor.

(while I was in the lobby, there was some guy circling around, manager or something, who asked me "can i help you?" four times. I'm not sure if he was being very very conscientious, or if he thought I was a homeless person camping out in the lobby. I was wearing the decent clothes I'd worn to dinner, so I was hoping not the latter...)

On the subject of dinner....the one thing that would keep me coming back is the ArtBar restaurant. It's kind of expensive but the food is SUPERB! Every little detail right down to the salad dressing is above-par. Our party of four shared the pita and hummus appetizer, which was particularly tasty compared to others I've had, and unlike some places, they actually bring you extra pita if it runs out before the hummus is gone. For the main meal I only got a burger, but I think this was the best burger I have ever eaten. Grass-fed beef with some delicious topping of onion and gruyere, I think. Side order of "sweet potato tots" is the best sweet potato creation I've had, the things are addictive. They also have a signature drink which is to-die-for....it's a caipirinha (made with cachaca Braliian sugar-cane distillation, kind of halfway between rum and tequila), which is usually a lime drink but theirs is make with pureed watermelon. Again, not cheap, but delicious!

After dinner we had a very pleasant walk along the river, another great thing about the location of this hotel.

I would recommend Royal Sonesta for couples, groups and families, with the caveat that if you know it to be a very busy time, holiday weekend or big event in town, call ahead to make sure your room is ready and it's what you asked for.

Room Tip: Get a river view room if you can.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

A hotel overlooking Charles River, its greatest advantage is its proximity to the airport. It’s a mere 20 minutes away from the airport. Apart from offering good view of Boston city, it also offers a good service in the rooms. All requests were promptly taken care of, during my stay.

Room Tip: River side room offers great views
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
RoyalSonesta, Manager at Royal Sonesta Boston, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you for posting about your recent stay at the Royal Sonesta Hotel Boston. We are so glad that you enjoyed your experience and hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Been to Royal Sonesta Boston? Share your experiences!