“Hotel is very good, spa is very bad.” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Cambridge
York, Pennsylvania
“Hotel is very good, spa is very bad.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Nice, comfortable three-day stay at Royal Sonesta. Was greeted with (previously requested) early check-in and an unexpected upgrade to an 8th floor suite overlooking the Charles River - very cool. Suite was spacious and clean; bed was good, bathroom roomy and clean. A refrigerator in the room would have been wonderful, but I think the expectation is for guests to spend money in the restaurants. Would not recommend the tiny "spa," where I had an express facial. It is run independently, so the hotel apparently does not manage services or staff. Spa manager was responsive to my complaints - she comp'd the service - but the spa experience was bad enough that I would not return if I returned to the hotel. Also, skip breakfast in the Art Bar - it is overpriced and service is not good.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
RoyalSonesta, Manager at Royal Sonesta Boston, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your stay at the hotel. We are disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your Spa experience and understand that Patricia followed up with you to learn more about your experience. Both the hotel and Royal Spa take our guest’s feedback seriously and utilize the comments to make our operation better. We do hope you’ll consider staying at the Royal Sonesta Hotel Boston if your travels take you back to Boston.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Just returned from a 4 might stay here. We booked through Priceline for $125 a night. Our Priceline reservation was for a king and since it was for a family of 4, we needed two doubles. I called the morning of our arrival and they said they couldn't guarantee the two doubles but would do their best for us at check in. Upon check in, they gave us a free upgrade to two queens facing the river. I was impressed with all of the mid century modern furniture and art work. Entire staff was very friendly and helpful especially an older gentleman who took our bags to our room and helped get us settled. He greeted me by name two days later which was impressive. Hotel offered great amenities including a free river boat tour, free shuttle service to a few different locations in town and free bike rentals. Although we didn't go to any of the hotel restaurants or bars, they looked very nice. Saturday night featured a pool side movie. Cambridgeside mall is just right across the street. The rooms are very nice, bedding and pillows are awesome. The rooms have two Herman Miller Aeron chairs and there was plenty of room for the four of us. Just behind the hotel there is a picturesque yacht club and a bike/jogging trail runs right along the river. I have stayed at the Kendall Square/MIT Marriott and that is a very nice hotel, but the Royal Sonesta is a much better hotel in my opinion. The only negative I could mention would be the distance to the closest T station, about a 10 minute walk. But with the free shuttle service, we didn't even need to take the T .Our daughter just started at BU and this is the place we will be staying for all future trips to Boston.

Room Tip: Ask for the Charles River side.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Great stay, beautiful view, perfect location. I loved everything except the cost of parking! I did not spend much time at the hotel because I was moving my son into Harvard. I was happy with everything! I will plan to stay here again on my next trip to Boston.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the river.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

The location of this hotel is superb - right along the river with amazing views and great running trails, and close to a mall and restos on the other side. Close to the airport as well (maybe a 15 minute drive), and good for business in Cambridge. I was here for business and from the moment I arrived, was not very pleased with the 'odour,' which in the main area was like a bad over-piped in Febreze smell, and then when I went to my room, felt like a smoker lived there for years. It was awful, and I considered asking for another room, but my work colleague who was on a floor 3 above mine had the same awful smell in her room. Luckily I had a functioning window and I opened it for the night that I stayed. The check in staff weren't terribly friendly when I arrived either.

On the plus side: free wifi with good strength throughout the hotel, good amenities, good restaurant (Art Bar) for a decent breakfast buffet and lovely patio setting, meeting amenities were good - nice big room, excellent catering, good wifi again.

I'm not a super picky traveler, but the smells at this hotel really turned me off. When we asked the person at the front desk about the smoky smell she said that our wing of the hotel had never even been smoking - that the opposite wing had been until 2 years ago. So not sure what was going on with that at all, but it was really enough to turn me off of this hotel, even with the fantastic location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
RoyalSonesta, Manager at Royal Sonesta Boston, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
We appreciate your candid feedback but are very disappointed to hear about your stay and experience at the Royal Sonesta Hotel Boston. We’d like to invite you to contact our Director of Rooms, George Lanzillo at glanzillo@sonesta.com so that we can learn more about your stay and follow up with the appropriate departments in regards to your feedback. While you might not choose to stay with us again, we do hope that you will consider staying at Sonesta Hotels & Resorts in the future.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I stayed here for business on a warm summer week in August, and enjoyed the lovely breakfast on the patio and a nice meal at Dante's in the evening with beautiful views of the river and downtown Boston on the other side. Staff was very accommodating and friendly. The room is a little small, well equipped, with only one window in the corner, albeit with a nice view across the river. Well located close to MIT and many biotech companies around it. Overall a lovely stay that made a business trip feel a little like a vacation when at the hotel.

Room Tip: Not sure if all rooms face the river but this is the prime view.
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I stayed here on business for 3 nights. The view from my room was outstanding the room was great - spacious, modern and a very big, very comfortable bed. I ordered room service on a couple of occasions and the food was very good and arrived and was cleared quickly.

Unfortunately, over the course of 3 nights, I was walked in on twice by staff - once while I was asleep and another time, more worryingly, while I was in the shower. I called the front desk to complain and received some fairly horrendous customer service from the front desk who provided excuses why this happened (exact words: "she didn't know you were in the shower") and gave me a reluctant apology which implied I was being a nuisance. However, the director later phoned me back and couldn't have handled the situation better - she was very apologetic, polite and helpful and said the relevant teams would be spoken to and offered me late check-out, which was both needed and very much appreciated.

I was also here for 2 days worth of meetings and felt that part of the stay was well managed and ran very smoothly.

Overall my experience was a good one - I couldn't fault the room, and certainly not the view, and while I've never before been walked in on in a hotel room, I felt the director handled a difficult situation very well.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
RoyalSonesta, Manager at Royal Sonesta Boston, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share the experience of your most recent stay with us. While we are disappointed that your first interaction was not pleasant, we are happy to hear that we were able to rectify the situation. Please know that we are using this example in training so that our colleagues will continue to provide better service to guests and we are thankful for your feedback. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Royal Sonesta Hotel Boston on your next trip.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

The Royal Sonesta is top notch from the inside and out. Check in was fast and easy with their great virtual check in online. The room service was wonderful, and we did get an upgrade to the Executive Suite. The location of the hotel is great. The mall is right in front with a nice view and the back is such an amazing view towards the Charles River.

The customer service was wonderful, not one bad complain. The parking garage is easy and affordable. My car battery died as I was leaving the hotel but before I even could call anyone, the attendant was already walking towards my car with the battery charge to to charge up my car. He stayed to make sure everything was great.

I highly recommend their restaurant Dante for dinner with Jesus as the waiter. Phenomenal service from start to finish. Absolutely perfect getaway for me and my boyfriend. We were celebrating his birthday and it was a complete surprise to him and we were both able to enjoy ourselves and the services offered at the Royal Sonesta.

Room Tip: When booking online, request for the upgrade. It's only a few more dollars a night and by a few...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for providing a review of your experience with us. Dinner at Restaurant dante is a great way to celebrate any occasion and we’re delighted to hear that you enjoyed your getaway. We will be sure to share your kind words with our team and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back on your next trip to Boston.

Been to Royal Sonesta Boston? Share your experiences!