“love this hotels” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   575 Memorial Drive, Overlooking Boston, Cambridge, MA 02139-4896   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Breakfast for Two
Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
somerville
“love this hotels”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

I stayed at this hotel on 8/5 -8/8/09. i got checked in by a very nice women named lynn,
The room does need an update, but it was cute.
it's hard to found the pool but when you do you will be glad you found it .. at the pool i was greeted at the door by Richard with a towle .. i feel like i was in a spa i had the pool to myself .. i can't wait to go back .. Richard ,lynn and the stuff at this hotel made my stay great

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
MichaelHickeyGM, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston, responded to this review, August 20, 2009
Hello,

My name is Michael Hickey and I am the General Manager of the Hyatt Regency Cambridge. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at our hotel. Please be assured that Lynn and Richard will not go unrecognized for their service.

You may be pleased to know that our hotel will be undergoing a guest room renovation beginning in November. We look forward to having you back as our guest.

Please let me know the next time you are planning a visit to the Boston area, and I will be pleased to personally handle your reservation. You can reach me by phone Monday through Friday, 8am to 6pm or by email at Michael.Hickey@hyatt.com.

Michael Hickey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Cambridge, MA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

I booked this room for my parents, who were visiting from out of town. As usual, I booked through Priceline and got a rate of $77 per night, not including taxes, fees, and parking (which is $35!).

By far the biggest problem with this hotel is the location. In a city like Cambridge, you really don't want to drive -- it's congested and hard to drive in Massachusetts, and parking is a huge problem. (Knowing full well how hard it is to find parking in Boston/Cambridge, the hotel charges $35 for overnight parking -- literally highway robbery.)

The problem with this hotel is that driving is the only way to get here. It's a 20-30 minute walk to the closest T stop and, although MBTA buses do seem to run, the hotel staff had no clue which public buses to take or how often they ran (!!!). There is nothing immediately around the hotel except for office buildings, MIT dorms, and barren warehouses. There are zero restaurants, bars, or attractions --- basically none of the lovely things that Cambridge is known for!

Fortunately, we're pretty resourceful. We hopped on the MIT shuttle bus to Kendall (which picks up right across the street) and, the one night we did have a car, we found on-street parking nearby. (The car did have to be moved out by 8am, however; even my resident permit didn't help!) We made the walk from the T to the hotel only once (at night, walking from Central Sq), and were scared enough by the sketchy warehouses and empty office buildings that we didn't want to chance that again!

The hotel itself is pretty 1970s in style and decor, and totally mediocre (the sole exception being the fitness center, which is nice). And the staff are hopeless as well. One front-desk clerk (she was so awful that I caught her name -- Claire) looked at us like we were total idiots when our family _of three_ asked to be moved to a room with two queen beds instead of one king.

Overall, I definitely do NOT recommend this hotel. And I certainly wouldn't pay anything close to the hotel's official rate. There are plenty of good and convenient places to stay in Cambridge, and this isn't one of them!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
california
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

Great location, beautiful views, rooms are very tired, small bathrooms and musty smelling. Staff is very attentive and the food was delicious.

Hawaii
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

The only reason we stayed was because my husband had a conference in the hotel, if not we would have checked out as soon as we saw our dungeon. Couldn't believe that the conference had prearranged a special price of $199-stayed @ much cheaper hotels with more modern amenities. Couldn't believe how far away everything was and you would think that the room would come with a refrig and micro considering there is no food for miles. POOR son had to walk for miles just to get to the train, taxi overcharged.

Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

I have recently booked this hotel again, I plan to go there with my mother in the next few weeks, I have stayed a couple of times in the past and found the hotel and staff accomodating. I find im shocked reading such reviews that have been recently posted, i thaught the taxi would bring you to the "T" or you could walk it in about 15 minutes or so. I hope that the hotel has not lost the customer service i remember. i will be with my elderly mother, i dont need hassle, i dont fancy staring at wall paper coming of the walls. i have always had a room with a river view. the lift was never an issue.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
NewYork
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

The room was okay, nothing great. 2 double beds, a desk & chair and tv/dresser. There isn’t any “chair” to sit if you want to relax and read a book. You have to sit on the bed. For the cost, it should have been better. Housekeeping was a joke. I don't think they vacuumed the 4 days we were there. We were never given new water glasses although it was quite obvious we wanted them. Sheets were never changed, bed made sloppy. (although there is a sign requesting if you want towels and sheets changed, to contact the front desk) Again, for the cost of the room, that should be a given. There is nothing within close proximity – for people who cannot walk far distances, or who have young children, a cab in necessary. The shuttle the hotel offers isn’t always available and they stop service at 6pm. Parking in their garage is $35/night. Internet is $12.95/day. There are better choices of hotels in the area. The buffet breakfast was mediocre, nothing special. Very expensive - $19.99+ per person. Every employee, except one I encountered at the hotel was very friendly. The “concierge” was of no help in advising on where to grab a bite to eat, sites to visit nearby etc… I do have to say the hotel lobby itself was very clean, it is too bad they do not update the rooms, very old. Holes in ceiling with an awful attempt to cover it.
Boston itself is impressive. I would never again stay in Cambridge. My last visit to Boston, I stayed at the Copley and it was within walking distance of anything and everything imaginable.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
MichaelHickeyGM, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston, responded to this review, July 22, 2009
Hello,

I am the General Manager of the Hyatt Regency in Cambridge. I am sorry that you were disappointed with your recent stay.

I am sorry that you felt that housekeeping did an inferior job while cleaning your room, your room should have been vacuumed daily. I will be speaking with our Executive Housekeeper to prevent this issue for future guests. Sheets are changed every 3 days as part of Hyatt's Green Initiative to conserve resources. This is a company-wide policy that includes other small changes in various departments throughout the hotel. Guests who prefer their sheets and towels replaced daily can make a request to the front desk for housekeeping to do so.

Additionally, the price of our breakfast buffet has recently been discounted to $16.95 per person for the remainder of the summer.

I would like the opportunity to discuss your stay with you in more detail. I am available by phone Monday through Friday, 8am to 6pm or by email anytime at Michael.Hickey@hyatt.com. Thank you again for your comments.

Hartford, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

I normally dont stay at Hyatts but I had to due to sold out rooms at other preffered hotels in the area.
Pros: Great rate. Nice front desk people for the most part. Comfy bed.
Cons: You get what you pay for. It's really outdated and the bathrooms are an eyesore, plus they are tiny. Front desk never asked for my Gold Passport membership so I never got points for that stay (but I went to the website to recover them). The hotel just shampooed the carpets in my first room so that floor was soaked and the room was terribly humid. The second room wasnt any better, but it had a better view of the river.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
MichaelHickeyGM, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston, responded to this review, July 15, 2009
Hello, my name is Michael Hickey and I am the General Manager of the Hyatt Regency Cambridge. Thank you for your comments about our hotel, please know they do not go unaddressed.

Please accept my sincere apology that you were checked into a room that had recently had its carpet shampooed. That room should have been placed out of service until the carpet was dry. I am glad to hear that the staff rectified the situation and upgraded you to a river view room.

I am also glad to hear that you were able to get your gold passport points credited to your account. A front desk agent should have taken your gold passport number at check in, and it should have also been asked for at check out. I will be addressing this issue with our front office staff in order to prevent similar occurrences in the future.

I would like the opportunity to discuss your stay in further detail. I am available by phone Monday through Friday, 8am to 6pm at 617-441-6400 or by email anytime at Michael.Hickey@hyatt.com. I look forward to speaking with you.

Michael Hickey

Been to Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston? Share your experiences!