“3 is the new 5” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Cambridge
Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
“3 is the new 5”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Having spent the last two weeks at 9 different Cambridge area hotels (while apartment hunting), I've discovered that more money doesn't always buy a better hotel. Some of the cheaper 3 stars can out-accommodate their 4-to-5 star peers by sheer will, good service, efficient practices and intelligent design. This Best Western is one of those 3-star hotels.

Now, part of my enthusiasm may stem from getting a good deal through Hotwire ($130/night) and because I was given one of the "new renovated rooms" on the top 4th floor. (If you can, you should try to ask for one of these rooms.) But it is more than that. It is also the location. The hotel is near Fresh Pond--with a beautiful walking/running/biking path--and a variety of stores (Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, TJ Max, Sushi places). It is also near to the Porter Square and the Alewife T stop. Those who want to get to Harvard can take the T there, walk, or use a free shuttle provided by the hotel.

The [renovated] rooms themselves are also reason to fall in love. They are large, have comfortable beds and nice simple furniture. Also, you can tell the place is clean. The remotes are even specially made to be easily sanitized. The rooms include a microwave and a refrigerator (no freezer) a coffee maker, a nice TV--all the usual. A nice initiative is that they donate all the unused soap and shampoos to domestic homeless shelters. The free breakfast is a step above the standard fare--with real eggs, red skin potatoes, and a variety of options.

In short, this Best Western is the best out of 9 hotels in Cambridge and Boston. Oh, and they have fast free internet that is letting me type this review! Not something 4 or 5 stars ever have...

Room Tip: Ask for a "renovated" room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

So, this place used to be a dive but it is getting better a bit at a time, it is still not quite up to the standards of a normal business hotel. I stay here because it is within walking distance of the office and the traffic in the area sucks so badly. It also backs onto a Mall with a Whole Foods, TJ Maxx and a movie theater so you can shop and relax if you want. Across the road is a very nice lake with a well used track about it, very nice for a morning run.

sedona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel before, as I work with the Whole Foods North Atlantic Regional office and this is close by (not to mention the Fresh Pond Whole Foods Store next door!). I enjoyed my last stay (about a year ago) and looked forward to the return.

I went into the bathroom and my socks started sticking to the floor. I looked down and it was clearly dirty. I was about to wet down a towel and wipe it off myself, and there were crumbs and a wrapper around the toilet.

I called down to the front desk. The man who answered offered to come up and clean the floor, as the hotel was sold out. I thought that was a nice gesture and said yes. When he got up to my room the bucket he was going to use (with water) was filthy dirty. I thanked him for the offer, but declined.

So I proceeded with my first idea: I took a wet towel and wiped down the areas in question. The towel is filthy dirty. I mean, I have to question WHEN this floor was cleaned last. I'm admittedly grossed out right now.

I decided to lay down a bath towel, so the entire floor that I will be walking on is covered. YUCK!

This is taking away from my overall experience of this hotel. One of the most important things to me when I stay at a hotel, is cleanliness. I am sure it is to many Trip Advisor readers and for this reason I would likely not return to this Best Western. And this disappoints me due to its perfect location for my bi-annual business travels.

Other things to note:
**Tonight was the Presidential Debate. The TV in the room needs to be replaced. The picture quality keeps fading in/out.
**The room lay-out is spacious; the bathroom is small. So if I were here with my partner, it would be challenging to get ready.
**There is a Starbucks off the lobby of the hotel which is always a plus to me.
**There is a mini-fridge a microwave in the room. Both are clean! (I just looked)

Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Clean and comfortable and close to a pretty lake in Cambridge. The hotel is good value and quite adequate for a business trip. It is relatively close to Harvard and MIT. Breakfast is not fancy but quite adequate and is included . A shopping centre is next door.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

This hotel was perfect for my purposes, it had parking, free internet, is near the T and made it easy to get out of town on Friday afternoon. The view was of a Whole Food parking lot, but you're obviously not choosing this hotel for the view. the bed was comfy, shower was great, the room was clean. I'd definitely go back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Bangor, ME
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We booked a hotel through Hotwire and this was the hotel that was reserved for us. I was a little unsure because I was much more familiar with the area known as "East Cambridge" (near the Museum of Science).
Location: Centrally located in Cambridge.Hotel is off a round-a-bout that is a little tricky to maneuver the first time. Situated next door to Fresh Pond Mall (strip mall) that has a cinema,Whole Foods and TJMaxx. Starbucks is attached to hotel.

Food: If you are looking for a great sandwich...Walk next door to Ma Magoo's. (sandwiches are very good sized!) . Complimentary breakfast is served in the morning- typical breakfast, eggs, sausage, breads, cereal, juices, coffees, etc. Nice sitting area with plenty of room.

Rooms: We stayed as a family of 4 with 2 teen sons. A cot is always preferred but we usually only do it when there is enough space in the room. This room was able to handle a cot leaving plenty of room to maneuver around without feeling cramped. The hotel is older but they have made improvements to modernize enough to be comfortable. Beds were a little on the hard side but did offer different weight pillows to choose from.

Transportation: They offer a shuttle to get you to Harvard Square or the T station. We never had a problem getting on. We took the shuttle rather than walk due to the weather but I think it would a have been a quick 10-15 minute walk. (I have attached a picture that I took from our hotel window).

Overall, a good hotel for the money.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

It can seem a bit far from Boston but the walk from Alewife Parkway T line isn't more than 15 minutes. Clean rooms, pleasant staff, good breakfast; there's even a Whole Foods market nearby. Recommended!

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the lifts as there can be a lot of foot traffic down the corridor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Hotel Tria? Share your experiences!