“Supreme brunch, great music very good service” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
T. W. Food is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 538 restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Concord Ave
Toronto
“Supreme brunch, great music very good service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Good brunch, that's unique and quality is difficult to come by.

This place is small (use Open Table) but presented very well. The smoked onion and rock shrimp soup was flavorful, subtle and frankly one of the best I've had.

The vegetarian benedict had a sweetness and freshness - even the muffins - that was really enjoyable. My wife's omlette looked as even cooked as it could.

Recommend doing to prix fix and split the coffee and cocktail. The former is expensive, the latter cheap.

Only small gripe is my coffee refills were slow coming.

88% Recommend
“Great service, ambiance, and food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

I selected this place for Sunday brunch because the reviews were pretty good, it had jazz, and it took reservations. What I got was a wonderful, delightful, delicious meal. The service, as mentioned, was very good. It was also quiet enough to hear the unamplified jazz band playing which created a really lovely ambience. The orange juice was completely delicious. We started with the scone plate and slow poached egg and I realized something that would be useful for the rest of the meal ordering: some of the dishes had strong flavors and some of them were quite mild. Ask for help based on what you're in the mood for as it was hard to predict what would have strong flavors and what would be more mild. Overwhelmingly though, the dishes were creative and delicious. My husband and I kept switching plates to try more of each other's dishes. For the entree we had the goat cheese omelette and the french toast. Pre-soaking the french toast in sherry before toasting = genius. The goat cheese omelette was surprisingly strong tasting but well-offset by the plain toast, kale, and squash it was served with. Dessert consisted of fantastic combinations of chocolate complimented by ice cream and caramel in one sundae and then salt and oil in the other. Really delicious.

I give a rating of 4 instead of 5 because the variety of things I wanted to order was small. In each section (appetizer, entree, dessert) there were always 2 things I wanted to try but never more than that. So I wouldn't take people here if they have particularly sensitive palates as it's a small restaurant with a small menu and creative food. But if you are a flexible eater who likes to experiment with tastes, I think the options here will make you really happy. The service and ambience just provide a wonderful finish to the whole experience.

We will definitely be back.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Newton, MA
“Overpriced, Overdone”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

Disappointed after waiting a while to eat here.

We came for restaurant week and had the prix fix menu. If I had paid full price/a la carte I would be furious.

The good
--service was good and attentive as it should be at this price point
--sourdough bread was terrific with a perfect texture and level of sour
--butter (real butter, not olive oil) with sea salt
--the grass fed steak was good. not phenomenal, but good.
--the cooked peaches on the beef were done very well and were excellent
--the sauce served with the beignets was very good with just the right amount of chocolate flavor
--portion size was good

The bad
--the trottole pasta. I love Castelmagno cheese (imported from Piedmont, Italy, and difficult to find) and mushrooms. The problem here is that 3 very strong flavors (black pepper, castelmagno and mushroom) are all competing for attention and each overwhelming the other). also too salty
--the charcuterie appetizer, utterly lacking in flavor
--the sweet corn soup. Pretty bland and didn't taste fresh.
--the polenta served with the beef was served cold.
--the RW sundae was served semifreddo (sort of warm and melted). I don't know if that was intentional or not, but it was unfortunate since the flavor was good. Blueberries are too tart and don't work with this ice cream.
--the crazy chairs that lean back, being simultaneously uncomfortable and inconvenient (I guess they would be good if you are fighting with your dining companion since you lean away from each other instead of towards each other)

We left unsatisfied but not unhappy and agreed that for the price we don't ever need to return.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Washington, DC
“One ingredient too many...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

A lovely, small restaurant with a very interesting a'la carte menu and tasting menu. I enjoyed my diner but I am not sure I would go back. First, everything was well prepared and served. The service was generally good ... though it took them a long time to get our wine order which is odd because there really aren't more than about 15 tables in the place. The people were very nice. The problem I have with this restaurant, however, is that there seemed to be one ingredient too many in all of the dishes. Reading the menu description you find yourself saying: yes, yes, yes... what? For example, I had a lovely, well prepared duck breast with interesting flavors... and a chocolate sauce. Not sure it worked really... everything else was ok, A good place if you are an experimental eater, I suppose... but the food, however good, is not simple here.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Urbana, Illinois
“Wonderful food, beautifully presented; flavors, textures, structure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We had one of the best meals we'd ever had at T.W. Food. We went early and it was very quiet and a beautiful room. It's a small place with brick walls, so as it filled up over the evening (and one large celebrating group was pretty happy), it got louder. The food was exquisite: the mix of flavors, things cooked to perfection, low-key efficient and attentive (but not intrusive or obsequious) service. All around, a truly spectacular dinner on a night that we were tired and cranky--it sure turned around our evening. What a pleasure. We had the three-course menu and it was a great value: the fois gras creme brûlée was exceptional, the lobster bisque and the duck were fantastic, and the mix of appetizers was interesting, well-presented and truly lovely. The desert course was the least of the meal, and two of our three deserts were fantastic. A great, great evening and wonderful value.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere