“Excellent guest house” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lotus Place at Harvard

Lotus Place at Harvard
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cambridge
Lotus Place at Harvard
You added Lotus Place at Harvard to your Saves list
208 Prospect Street, Cambridge, MA 02139   |
Ranked #15 of 18 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Mexico City, Mexico
“Excellent guest house”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

Even though it is not a hotel, Lotus place is an excellent option to stay.I had everything I needed for breakfast, it was always clean and very comfortable. Located at a walking distance from main locations, with bus routes right outside, and a short walk to the subway.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

Recently stayed at the Lotus Place guest house for a short course I was taking at Harvard. The innkeeper/host seemed to also be a fellow student around the area and was very pleasant and helped me settle in and answered most of my questions around the area. My room, although a little smaller to my liking. was very clean and had its own bathroom. There was also a nice open common area on the floor I was staying at with a full kitchen and living area and everything. I greatly enjoyed working/hanging out there (at the huge dining table!) as my room would feel a little small especially when I had friends visiting. Other then that, the inn was very accommodating and fit most of my needs. The location was quite convenient as well, only 15 minute commute to my classes. Thank you lotus place for a pleasant stay!

Room Tip: I stayed in the Lotus room (I think they usually give this room to solo travelers). They seem to hav...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Silver Spring, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

Although their web site claims "Newly renovated (2006), Lotus Place is a luxurious and modern B&B located in the heart of Cambridge", it was far from luxorious. While the main living-dining-kitchen space was kept vacuumed, and the bedroom was clean and comfortable, the en suite bathroom was not clean! We arrived late in the evening and were greeted by the housekeeper, who showed us in. We decided to go to bed early. When I went into the bathroom to wash up, I found the countertop and faucets, the inside of the medicine chest, the baseboards and windowsill and panels on the back of the door were coated with dust.I told the housekeeper of the condition in the bathroom, but she never did anything about it. ( The owners never appeared during our three-day stay. ) In the morning, I found an unwashed coffee cup in the cup rack and there were grubby fingerprints all over the front of the refrigerator. (Guests are on their own for a minimal "Continental" breakfast. If we had a choice at that point we would have moved out early.

Room Tip: Tell, when booking, that the bathroom must be clean.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2010

My partner and I stayed at Lotus Place for 2 nights. We are seasoned travelers and often stay in many kinds of lodgings. We booked this place after the wonderful Irving House at Harvard, where we stay very often, was fully booked.
The website was nice enough and we were engaged professionally through telephone and email when we booked our stay.
The room was clean and utilitarian with a large bathroom. Once there, we were completely on our own. I mean that. A deserted kitchen with an empty coffeemaker that did not work greeted us every morning there. A house employee and or resident who did not speak english at all and who tried to make the machine work emerged from the back at some point. Coming back later to refill the coffee mug we found it cold. She pointed to the microwave. Upon opening it found it filthy enough to desist on the coffee mission. Starbucks saved the day later. For at total of over 300 dollars, not worth it at all.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Cape Cod
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

Lotus Place is truly an amazing value and I am very happy I found this place. I was visiting some friends in Cambridge and they recommended this particular inn. I reserved the Lotus room but upon checking in, the host informed me that they had upgraded me to their Signature room based on some scheduling reason or something. The room was meticulously clean and in my opinion very nicely set up. The bed was incredibly comfortable and adorned with numerous fluffy and fresh smelling pillows. My room was also outfitted with a flat screened TV and large desk and I had access to my own bathroom within the unit, huge plus! I remember how much I hated sharing bathrooms with other guests in other B&B's, dreadful experiences I would rather forget.

The location was also great, very convenient. Although the neighborhood is not exactly picturesque, It was right smack in the middle of Central Square where the metro is and Inman Square, great variety of restaurants. Both areas about a five minute walking distance. Had dinner at East Coast Grill (Inman Square) and can say that it is defiantly one of the best seafood/bbq places I've been.

The common area/open kitchen was also very nice, the only complaint there I had was the lack of utensils/silver ware. Had trouble finding spoon for my breakfast, had to eat my oatmeal with a fork.

The host that checked us in was also very pleasant, helped with our luggage and dealt with my husband's constant badgering and question asking very patiently and informatively. Impressive!

That about sounds up my review, I would highly recommend this inn for anyone looking for a great value in terms of rooms and location.

That about sums

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
St. Pete, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

My wife and I stayed here for three days in June visiting our grandchild. Most of the previous reviews are accurate. Our room was clean and pleasant, but small. It was in the rear, so noise was not a problem, although the whole place shook when a bus or heavy truck went by. There was a shade missing from one of the windows, so we were awakened quite early by the sunlight coming in (longest day of the year). The bath was located across a small hallway, but still private.

We saw nothing of the management after check-in. The breakfast was self help and very basic: coffee, cereals, fruit, yogurt, juice and grocery store croissants. We saw just one other guest while we were there. We liked the location, between Inman and Central Squares. There are plenty of restaurants and stores within walking distance as well as the "T" which will get you to downtown Boston within 10 minutes. Also, if you have a car, the free parking is a big plus.

Compared to other B&B's in the area, the price was quite reasonable, but you get what you pay for.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2010

Last year we stayed at another B&B with a host who not only talked nonstop but was also omnipresent and very opinionated and eccentric. My husband flatly refused to return (this host served burned chocolate chip cookies each morning at breakfast and each morning seemed surprised to note that, once again, they were burned. He then attempted to engage the entire group in a discussion of what burned cookies should be called: crookies? cookers? crookers? This may sound cute, but it was just weird that the exact same events/remarks happened each day. He also very much wanted guests to become involved in his nonprofit charity.)

This time we also needed off-street parking (worth it's weight in gold, as otherwise parking is permit-only on-street.) For an eight-day stay, we needed a reasonably priced, non-luxury place and this was it. We found the couple who answered the door did not speak English, but seemed to understand some. The room (Lotus, least expensive) was fine, but dull. The furniture in both room and the sitting room/common area is drab in color and conveys a sort of basement/garage sale feeling (style-free, dark, older), but comfort and cleanliness were just fine. We were not bothered or spoken to by anyone in the host family the entire time we were there, nor did we see them except in brief passing.

My biggest complaint was the breakfast. The coffee was poor (OK, I'm a bit of a coffee snob; bought my own and used it after the first day) and the cereal choices were all the little boxes of heavily sweetened cereal intended for children. Milk was provided (1%). There were a few bananas--some yellow, some browner. After people ate the yellow ones, the brown ones remained the rest of the week, getting browner and softer as time passed. No new ones appeared. There were apples in the refrigerator. The bagels and croissants were frozen (grocery store generic) and the bread was likewise generic grocery brand. No jam. There was orange juice. Only four coffee mugs, so if there were six people staying you used styrofoam. Two glasses only for the entire clientele. There were individual yogurt containers, but, again, all the sweetened candy-ish flavors. As we are (try to be) healthy eaters (no white flour, no sugar), we could not eat what they provided. However, the refrigerator had plenty of room for our own supplies, which we bought and ate each morning. This was a bit disappointing, but the parking made up for it, as did never having to make conversation (the only people you will see are other guests.)

One other issue: the room was very hot when we arrived. The hostess indicated the controls for AC in the common room, but there was no AC coming into our room. Finally (after several days), we stacked up some chairs to reach the only vent (10 foot ceiling) and discovered it had been closed off. After opening it, the temperature went down a little, but the room remained much hotter than the common area. Bed was decent. Linens were changed halfway through our visit.

No problem with the neighborhood; it's Cambridge. Same with the noise. This isn't the suburbs and this isn't a high-rise hotel. Nor are you paying $250+/night. Don't stay here if you expect to get pleasure from your accommodations. However, if the point of your visit is moderate price and privacy, with pleasure and entertainment found elsewhere, you might be just fine with this choice. Terrific ice cream place around the corner: try the Burnt Sugar!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Lotus Place at Harvard? Share your experiences!