“Just Something Special About Leo's...” 4 of 5 stars

35 Jfk St, Cambridge, MA 02138-4908
617-354-9192
Improve this listing
Saint George, Canada
“Just Something Special About Leo's...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

A few years ago, I watched a new clip on Ben Afleck which featured a snippet of him behind the counter a Leo's Place in Cambridge, serving up patrons. All in fun for the boy from Cambridge but a few days later I decided to try to diner out for myself. Since then Leo's has been on my "return" list each time that I visit Harvard Square/Cambridge (the other being Leavitt & Peirce). The food might be simple but it is obvious that there is care in its preparation even if it is a burger platter. There are no booths or tables, just simple diner stools with counters space. While there, take a glance on the walls and notice that other people (many celebrities) have also found this spot to be welcoming. A couple of tips: Breakfast is served all day; there is a great selection of unique/rare bottled sodas; the bathrooms (down in the basement) are not the best. In the end, I also enjoy my stop at Leo's Place and always leave satisfied.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

New Boston, New Hampshire
“Good food, nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Stopped here on our Harvard Square trip. Food was very good but it was nothing special or out of this world. The server behind the counter seemed very irritated even though we were only two of four people in the place.

On the menu it says, "Any Type of Club" 7.95. So I asked "what type of clubs do you have?" Her short reply was, "Anything you want." I said "Ok. Can I get grilled chicken?" Her reply was, "Yeah, but that'll cost you extra." This irritation could have easily been solved by either a) changing the menu or b) answering my first questions as to that type of club "Any Type of Club" covered.

Anyway, I ordered a turkey club and was given a regular sandwich with turkey, tomato, and lettuce. It was good, but disappointing that even after the crumby service and sarcastic answers I was still not given "Any Type of Club" whatsoever. The fries were good. The girlfriends tuna melt was good ever for a non tuna eater like me. The price was a bit over board for the service and meal. If you're looking for diner food, check it out, if not I'd try elsewhere.

Visited January 2013
Prague, Czech Republic
“A Great Find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We were looking for a place for breakfast on our first morning in Harvard Square and found this place. It is a small diner but serves one of the best breakfast.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Quiet Corner, CT
“Enjoyed our lunch in this funky diner.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Leo's is the quintessential funky counter diner. There are only seats at the counter, on the stools that spin. You order at the tall counter, and they'll shout to you when you're food is up. It reminded me of visiting Brooklyn/NYC diners in the 1970s. (The general feel, not the decor or anything like that....)

The food was very good. Chicken salad was fresh, nothing extra--exactly what I wanted. My Burgers were great as was the corned beef sandwich. I'd describe the food as "solid, no frills, great." The drink selection was super-- tons of things to choose from-- juices, milks, soda-- you name it!

We were directed to Leo's by Harvard students who said they really like it, and who knows better where to eat than the locals?! It was not crowed at all when we arrived (1:00 on a Friday), there were three people eating, and while we were there about ten people moved in and out. We didn't wait at all, and didn't feel crammed.

We were not disappointed, and I feel confident that most people would agree with us that Leo's is a great place to get a bite to eat.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Saskatoon, Canada
“Let's Not Get Carried Away Folks”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Leo's was a fine stop, but the reviews on Trip Advisor are a little over the top. A bit of nostalgia, perhaps? Leo's is a tiny diner, close to the centre of the aggressively commercial Harvard Square. The place was crammed and it seems to be crammed all the time, by all accounts. It is an absolutely standard diner -- decent food, prepared quickly, with minimal fuss, almost no service, and reasonable prices. Our omelettes were okay, but not stellar. The has brown potatoes were bland. Portion were okay without being substantial. The toast was pathetic. Service was slow but it was interesting to watch a very very busy short order cook handle all of the orders without panicking. Leo's is just what it is: a low-end diner, with reasonable value and an increasingly anachronistic atmosphere. It is way too small and crowded to be an interesting "event" on its own. It is a place to get decent good in a reasonable amount of time, but this is not quaint throw-back experience to the Happy Days' era.

• Visited July 2012