“Outstanding Neighborhood Spot” 5 of 5 stars

617 615 6195
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Puritan & Company is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #44 of 540 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Tremont Street
Transit: MBTA bus stops 69, 83, 91 CT2, 64, 68, 85 (ordered by distance of stop from restaurant) MBTA Red Line: Central Square and 12-minute walk
Description: Puritan & Co. serves modern American cuisine, with particular emphasis on traditional New England fare, and not without occasional excursions into other ethnic ingredients and styles. Our mainstays are ingredients sourced from farms we know and locally to the extent possible, and always a sense of fun.Our kitchen and management team has over 45 years of combined restaurant experience from primarily the New England region. The team brings a unique mix of culinary and beverage experience together to offer quality food, local beers, and wine from independent makers worldwide.Puritan & Company’s space is a casual and fun place to dine. We love to share our excitement about the food and wine we serve like any hosts at a dinner party. Guests and their friends should feel comfortable in our friendly and even familial environment as we make our food and guest the number one focus.
Boston, Massachusetts
“Outstanding Neighborhood Spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

P&C is a great choice in Cambridge for a upscale casual dinner. The dining room is warm and inviting with lots of bleached looking wood, old Edison filament lighting, partially open kitchen. The tables are a bit close together but not enough to detract. The service is friendly and not too hurried or obtrusive. We went on a Saturday night and the place busy. There is a nice vibe in the dining room when it is full. Just the right noise level to give it energy. The crowd was mostly late 20's to early 50's couples. It isn't really conducive for children. The menu is not large but the food is creative and presented beautifully. I tried the signature Swordfish Pastrami. Beautiful strips of pepper seasoned, smoked fish with interesting accouterments like Horseradish Sorbet. My daughter had a beet salad. I know beets are kind of pedestrian these days but this salad was outstanding. Our mains were a Berkshire Pork Chop and a Roasted Chicken. Both tender and flavorful. Good white wine by the glass accompanied both entrees. If I had one complaint, it would be the Chocolate Pot de Creme dessert. It was more like a ramekin of chocolate ganache. Too dense in my view. Parking is a challenge as there is no valet or nearby lot. We found a spot on the street after a few laps around the block.

• Visited November 2013

Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Lovely dining experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

We had a lovely group dinner at Puritan & Company. Service was excellent all around - friendly, helpful, and well-timed. I really liked the restaurant's minimal yet warm decor. The food was delicious, and beautifully presented. The potato rolls served to each table were phenomenal - dense and tasty. The starters were probably my favorite part of the meal: we shared the pickle pot, gougeres, and the smoked bluefish pate. The bluefish pate was amazing! I had the wagyu steak as my entree, which was also very good (though not particularly remarkable). We were too stuffed for dessert. Nice selection of wines by the glass. Would happily return!

• Visited November 2013
Pretoria, South Africa
“Sunday Brunch ...Yummy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

If you got up abit late and needed to find a good Breakfast or Brunch spot on a Sunday...then Puritan & Company is a place to be. Ha continued our Birthday celebration right into Sunday where we needed to have Brunch. He had called and reserved a large table which they where very accommodating.

The breakfast was awesome and lots of flavours for the morning with some traditionals as well. Service was excellent and the people in the restaurant was super friendly for a big noisy crowd in the morning of Sunday... :-)

If you looking for a Breakfast spot then looking no further because you will find it at Puritan & Company. The manager was also very friendly and we were given a free bottle of bubblies to continue our celebration or end our celebration...canot remember now :-)

Go check it out...its awesome..

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco, California
“Foodie Spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I found this spot by word of mouth from a bartender. When it was described as 'farm to table' I was sold. The place was crowded, it looked great, we were a couple and walked in with no reservation and were happy to sit at the bar to have our meal. There are some excellent wines to start the evening followed by a great selection of oysters. Joshua did an excellent job assisting us for our meal, turns out he's from a few great restaurants in my San Francisco neighborhood, he knows his food. The dishes shined, local ingredient from the chef's family farm. The wild mushroom and farm egg was a great starter. The pork chop was cooked perfectly and was very very juicy, a must try dish. I regret not getting dessert, but I was more than satisfied with my meal, I could eat no more. This is a 'must try' restaurant that I will tell people to visit when in the area. I will definitely go here again next time I'm in the Boston and make a reservation this time.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Pa
“Mixed Review”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

If you pay $45.00 for a steak you should expect the steak to beas tender as butter with little grizzle and fat. The steak I had had the Puritan, while tasty, was tough and with an extreme amount of grizzle and fat. For the price I paid this steak, I should not have to worry about the possiblilty of choking on it because of toughness, Also, the Puritan's salad was so so and the brownie served in the sunday was hard like a piece of shale. On a positive note, my companions had the Monkfish which they thought was quite good. In my opinion, this restaurant is on the pretentious side and lacks the quality required to match their pricing. All in all, I have had much better food at Oleana and the Renedevous On Central than the Puritan.

• Visited October 2013